What can I do with an older iMac?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by rdowns, Oct 8, 2004.

1. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

Recently got an iMac G5 and giving my old iMac/600 to my step-father. He has an iMac 333 I believe. If I'm lucky, 32 MB and it's running 8.6. I can afford to upgrade it but what good use might it have?

I already have the iMac G5, iBook G3/900 and a Toshiba laptop for work.

2. t300 macrumors 6502a

t300

Well, you could buy a stick of 49 dollar ram and install OS X on it. My 333 runs X flawlessly and works great. I suppose you and your father could use iChat to communicate. But upgrading to Panther seems like your best bet...You won't regret it.

3. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

Do like I did and let a friend that is interested in OS X borrow it to get them hooked on macs.

4. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

If all else fails, it could make a really big door stop or a paper weight. Hey if it can run OSX than it still has life in it.

5. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...as I have said in other similar threads in the past....I am a big fan of making a charitable donation of unused computers - look to your local women's shelter, or senior's home - they'd probably love to have it and you may get (depending on where you live) a decent tax deduction for it...oh yeah!

6. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

If you go that route, make sure you wipe the HD and reformat it so all of your important documents are off of it.