what can I do

Discussion in 'iMac' started by icesac26, Sep 29, 2006.

1. icesac26 macrumors member

icesac26

I have had to do a restore, and I noticed my space on my main drive is now 10 gigs less then it was this morning. I could use some help on what too do, and what I can safely get rid of and how (step by step). Not saying I don't know much, I do know a lot, but it crashed while I was uploading 10.4.8. I dont want to spend another 10 hours fixing this again. (10 hours is based on the time it will take to fix everything, along with the 6.5 hours I have already done.

thanks in advance

2. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

that 10GB is probably your previous system folder; you should see a "Previous System Folder" somewhere in there if you did a restore. Just go through it and make sure you don't have any really important documents in there, and once you're satisfied that you've got everything, go ahead and trash it.

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

So you reinstalled the OS? Did you reformat and reinstall because if not, then you've probably got a Previous System Folder or some such thing lying about somewhere. Maybe use OmniDiskSweeper to find where that 10GB is being used. :)

Edit: beaten by beatsme. Love it! :D

4. nightelf macrumors 6502

Remember to deselect the languages you are not going to use, you can save a couple of GBs there, also printer drivers.

I saved about 10GB not installing any language, iWeb, GarageBand and demo songs, jingles, some printer drivers, etc.

5. icesac26 thread starter macrumors member

icesac26

How do I take....

How do I safely remove the extra languages

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

If you don't deselect them during the install process, then you can remove them later with an app like Monolingual. Don't get rid of US English, even if you don't need it though. :)

7. todd2000 macrumors 68000

WOW! I just downloaded Monolingual, and it deleted 1.2G of language files. Thats a ton of wasted space. Not that im low on HD space, but the more the better.

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

As good as that is, I've left all my language files alone. I figure it's probably safer to not remove system files unless I need the space. :)

9. icesac26 thread starter macrumors member

icesac26

Any other things

Anything else that I can do to get more space, and thanks for the help...:)

10. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

On Tiger, quite a bit of space is used up for the printer drivers. You can simply delete unnecessary or unused drivers if you like. Also, Garageband loops and iDVD themes respectively take up a lot of space.