What can I get for my MBP Expresscard/34 slot???

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by 21stcenturykid, Sep 6, 2006.

1. 21stcenturykid macrumors 6502

My friend has just recently bought a MBP 15" and i am buying a 17" as soon as it gets updated whenever that may be but we were both wondering what cards are available for the slot? i have little knowledged of this subject so help would be very gratefully recieved! Do you put in a card or is there a removable thingamajig??:eek:

2. Silentwave macrumors 68000

AFAIK there are currently Firewire and eSATA mac-capable ExpressCard/34s, possibly several others.

I currently have a 2xFW400 SIIG ec34, and will be buying the FirmTek eSATA one.

3. 21stcenturykid thread starter macrumors 6502

I have just checked out the SIIG one you recommended on the net and it appears to be windows only?? do you have a link for the one you have or any others?:)

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I have a flash memory reader. It reads basically everything apart from Compact Flash.

5. SpankyPenzaanz macrumors 6502a

SpankyPenzaanz

verizon has a card for acces to their wireless service and it is mac compatible. and if you live where they have rolled out their highspeed service i hear its as good as broadband

6. timnosenzo macrumors 6502a

timnosenzo

I'd love to get one that read Compact Flash, but I haven't been able to find much. Where did you get yours & who makes it?

7. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Erm, I said it reads everything apart from Compact Flash. You can't fit a CF card into the slot (well you can, just sideways) so I don't think it's going to be possible to get a CF reading ExpressCard/34.

I got mine here. I notice they do sell a CF reader but it's for the larger ExpressCard/54 standard.