What can I plug in the Express Card slot?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by iñaki'sonMac'87, Oct 9, 2006.

1. iñaki'sonMac'87 macrumors regular

I just get my MBP 15" (don't you just love it?:p ) and I wonder what can I do with the express card slot.
    I don't use much of graphic or pro photo sw, mainly I use it to process big chunk of data with Mathematica4.0 (best software ever to math & physis & statistics)
    so I have a slot which seems useless, can somebody help me? what is the best option to use it?

thank a lot!

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

ExpressCard is replacing PCMCIA as the plug-in peripheral standard for laptops. Currently there are ExpressCard/34 cards that add Firewire 800, extra USB 2.0 ports or Firewire 400 ports. Upcoming devices include modems for wireless broadband internet, TV tuners, basically anything you could get in PCMCIA is moving over to ExpressCard/34 now that more PC laptop makers are getting behind the standard. Apple was the first with the technology and now it's all over the place - the peripherals are coming.

3. Josias macrumors 68000

Josias

There are many options. I know there are several expansion options for digital connections such as FW800, FW400 and USB 2.0.

There are also some cards with Dual Gbit Ethernet for ExpressCard. I don't know about video/audio cards, but might be worth to do some research.;)

4. vincebio macrumors 6502a

vincebio

the single reason i am still using a powerboook and not a MBP is the expresscardslot.....RME have declined the chance to adopt the Expresscard for the soundcards they make, which are the best on the market. They will also NOT be making an adaptor to fit it..:mad:

they say they may adopt it in the future, but they said it will cost them a lot of money and they are not convinced that it is going to be as big as apple hope it will be...it certainly seems a lot slower than say firewire....

we shall see....

5. Josias macrumors 68000

Josias

Chundles, there are many options for FireWire and USB expansions with Expresscard/34. Here is a dual FW800 card which supports the MacBook Pro.

BTW, will Expresscard/54 cards fit in 34 mm slots?

EDIT: Here's an entire site with expansion cards for the 34 mm slot. (FW400, FW800 and USB 2.0).

6. iñaki'sonMac'87 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the quick answer!!!

well, I guess that a fast FW 800 for a scanner or better net conections worth it

But, what wierd gadget you know that I can put in that slot? I'm just curious :p a mind controller or something really wierd :D

7. SpankyPenzaanz macrumors 6502a

SpankyPenzaanz

its a nice storage compartment for certain candies :D

8. Lollypop macrumors 6502a

Lollypop

How will mac support for all these express cards be? Its nice to say that there are cards, or more cards coming..but will they work on the mac os?

9. iñaki'sonMac'87 thread starter macrumors regular

Thank a lot, this list will prove to be useful... thank again!:)

10. Cybix macrumors 6502a

Cybix

I dont believe apple were the first to use the slot, infact, there are many manufacturers using it now.

pcmcia is dead, and will be completely replaced with express card

11. crashman macrumors newbie

ExpressCard Products

Let me say all the posts here are great reading, a great source of information.
    I have just bought a Laptop HDD & Small enclosure, its SATA so the USB cable has 2 connectors one for data one to power the drive.
    I have a MacBook Pro 15" it has one USB on each side, so getting the 2 plugged in is impossible without a powered usb hub.
    Is there an Express Card with more than 1 USB slot on it???

Thanks

Crashman

12. brand macrumors 601

brand

13. Knolly macrumors 6502a

ExpressCard transfer speeds are better than any other port on the MBP, correct?

Any chance a company has made/will make essentially a docking station via the expresscard slot?

14. screensaver400 macrumors 6502a

Have you tried the drive with just one USB plug in use? I have such a drive, and it works for me.

Also, note that (AFAIK), ExpressCard cannot provide powered USB ports, meaning that it would be of little use to you. Someone correct me if I'm wrong there, though.

15. chelsel macrumors 6502

I know we think Apple is the first and best at everything, but please acknowledge that this is not always the case! I know this thread is kind of old... but the misinformation was never corrected :)

"Hewlett-Packard began shipping systems with ExpressCard in November of 2004, [1] and Lenovo integrated the slot into their flagship ThinkPad T43 in May 2005. [2] Dell Computer also incorporates this in their Precision (the 17" models have them exclusively, the 15" Precisions have both express card and PCMCIA Card slots), Inspiron, Latitude (Latitude D-series have PCMCIA card slots. The D820/D830 have both express card and PCMCIA card slots), Vostro and XPS Laptop product lines. Fujitsu-Siemens began shipping systems [3] with ExpressCard in mid 2005. Apple Inc. included a single ExpressCard/34 slot in their MacBook Pro notebook computer in January 2006." Wikipedia

Cheers!

16. BrittQ macrumors regular

eSATA connection for your external hard drive(s).

17. crashman macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply's, yeh, the thread is an oldie, but as there are many more Laptops with the slot, it is newer than we all think.
    I have tried just one & it will not fire up. I have just swapped it with an IDE version & that worked with just one connection. If its right and the card needs power too, then Ill go back to the usb hub. Esata is another option too.
    Thanks

18. Alte22a macrumors 6502

Hi guys,

I've got the first gen MBP, the one without FW800, Is it worth getting a a express card so that I can use eSATA or FW800? I use to have a card reader for my old PB. Downloading from a PCMCIA compact flash reader was way slower than my FW card reader. I am just wondering if the new express cards are fast?

19. Frozonecold macrumors 6502

Express Cards are way faster than PCMCIA cards.

20. Alte22a macrumors 6502

So your saying its good to use it with eSATA and a card reader as well? OK. Will give it a go and report back later.

21. Zeos macrumors 6502

Well, I sure thought it was dead too. Why does it persist even 18 months after this post? It makes life difficult to have PCMCIA on my work Dell and Express34 on my MBP. Someone needs to shoot PCMCIA and put it out of our misery.