What can I use to teach myself C++ w/ OS9?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by teabgs, Mar 28, 2002.

1. teabgs macrumors 68030

teabgs

cause, I'd like to learn if theres a program and some text files or something that I can use...

2. evildead macrumors 65816

evildead

get some books

There are thousands of books outthere for C++, if you want to learn in OS 9 then you will have to get something called CodeWarrior. Its ok. I personaly dont like it that much but its not horrable. There is a student version of it. I dont know if the latest version will run in OS 9, I know that it works in X now. I really sugest that you upgrade to OS X. You can dowload the free GCC compiler or you can just install the Developers kit that comes with OS X and it has a IDE C++ compiler/debugger. That is pretty good. Unix is the best platform to lean C++ and Java on. OS X provide Java compiers too. IDE and Command line tools.

3. teabgs thread starter macrumors 68030

teabgs

Evildead: thanks for the reply. The problem with me using OSX is that Im running a 6500. Im going to upgrade this summer after the (rumored) G4 towers come out. Whatever it is, after MWNY I will upgrade. I'll switch over to OSX then.

4. Pandaa macrumors newbie

The best way is to read "The C++ Programming Language" by Bjarne Stroustrup. If you read it, you will know everything you need to know about C++. But that book is intense, so if you're not used to any kind of programming before you should get something easier to start with - and once you're ready and determined go fo the stroustrup.
    For a compiler, CW is reasonably cheap if you're a student.