What can thps4 and ut 2k3 run on

Discussion in 'Games' started by Mord, Sep 14, 2003.

1. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

80% of the games I own claim not to be able to run on my mac but they do I was wandering how far I can take this as I want ut 2k3 & thps4 But the specs are 700 mgh G4 And I have a cube, all the other specs match other than that none of my mac owning friends have a copy so i cant test it + i dont want 2 wast 25 pounds (the poud sighn wont work on my apple pro key bord it just makes a #)

thanks

2. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

you need more then 700 mhz for a good gaming machine, a 1gig or better g4 with a decent video card and a lot of ram say 768 at the least,you can allways upgrade that cube to a higher cpu, but ut2003 wont cut it on a 700, i had a 733 and went for a 1.33 upgrade and it does a lot better but still outdoor levels are a lil laggy. i think it is just another example of another mac game not written for mac, just crappy code moved over to another platform. I dream of the first person shooter written for mac only,like Halo was going to be.

3. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

You need at least a decent graphics card and at least a 1Ghz G4. You need to get one of the graphics cards belong (in speed order, slowest is at the top):

Radeon 9000
    Radeon 8500
    Geforce 4Ti

There is no point in getting anything faster than the Geforce 4Ti because the G4 is not fast enough to take advantage of the new graphics cards like Radeon 9700/9800. If you want to play games like Doom3 or UT2003 on a Mac, you really need a G5.

4. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

One of the main reasons games run slow on Macs with G4/G3 chips is because these chips are slow. The G4 gets the same spec scores as a P3. So a 1Gz G4 is the same speed as a 1Ghz P3 in games. Also the G4 has to do a lot of extra work compared to PCs. Macs don't have hardware sound cards, what this basically means is that the G4 has to do all the work processing the sound on Macs, while PCs have deadicated sound cards to do that. If you turn off the sound in games like Ut2003 on a G4 Mac, you can see a big increase in performance.

5. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

the main reason games run slow on mac is because 90% of them are cpu bound, and dont use altivec or this or that. simple cpu bound performance and your sound observation is for the most part correct.

6. bradz_id macrumors member

I have tony hawk 4 running happily on my 600 G3 iMac. UT2003 is another matter completely. I also have a 1GHz eMac and UT2003 uses all of the CPU power just for sound etc. I tried to run UT2003 at 640 x 480, 16 bit colour everything turned off or right down in the settings and i even turned sound and lighting off completely and it still ran at about 3fps!

7. BIGgui_X_ macrumors member

I plan on buying a new mac in a couple of weeks ! I know a G5, even the 1.6 with about 1 gig of ram is very good, but, i wonder if i could be happy with a Single G4 1.25, since they are SO cheap ! I dont use the computer for heavy task like photoshop, etc (rarely) but i use it to play some games (dungeon siege, NWN, maybe UT 2k3, etc) and for everyday use (dvd burning, ripping, some multitasking, etc) . I now have a G4 700 in my emac and beginning to find it slow. My question is would I be able to have fun anyway with a single 1.25 G4 with a stock radeon 9000 for a year or two (compared to my eMac 700) because they cost 1649 canadian (student price) or should I REALLY wait and raise some money to get a single 1.6 that cost 2300 (student without superdrive). I dont mind selling the G4 next year to get a 3ghz G5 so.... I'll not buy a dual G4, since the G5 1.6 is only 300 $ more, so, it's the 1.6 G5 or the 1.25 single G4. What do you think ? Is a G4 1.25 a real lost of money for me ? Is it as noisy so I should take a G5 only for that matter ? So many questions !! and is the option of the Geforce 4 TI a really good option ? should I pay almost 300 $ canadian to upgrade from the stock radeon pro 9000 ? ! I cant get to sleep ! :(
    thanks