What can we expect from Mac Pro next year

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by irishgrizzly, Nov 27, 2006.

1. irishgrizzly macrumors 65816

May 15, 2006
    What new features do you think this beast will receive next year? I'm not so much talking of CPU/cores, more alone the lines of GPU cards, ram configurations and things I've never thought of.
  2. Danksi macrumors 68000

Oct 3, 2005
    Nelson, BC. Canada
    I'm sure Apple will make full use of the second optical-drive slot and install..

.... a rather nice looking coffee cup holder/warmer.

Other than that, I don't want to think of my MP as being out of date any time soon. :cool:
  3. ero87 macrumors 65816

Jan 17, 2006
    New York City
    hmm i wonder how much better it can get... smaller design maybe?
    well..seeing as they have made the base ram in the macbook pro higher line 2gb...we might see a small ram bump(permitting fbdimms drop in price) and of course new cpus, hopefully a better base graphics card, and im always wishing it included the apple remote and frontrow, perhaps a minimum hdd bump since hdd's are DIRT cheap...a 250 doesn't cost more than around 120$ cdn... and so a 320 minimum or more.. i dunno...im just trying to come up with ideas... lol...a built in analog 5.1 surround sound woud be nice :p
  5. FFTT macrumors 68030

Apr 17, 2004
    A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
    Once we see the debut of 8 Core systems, then the software engineers will have to catch up.

As processors get smaller, hopefully we'll see more energy efficient CPU's
    and GPU's working together

Personally, I'd like to see a partnership between Apple and Apogee offering
    at least 2 excellent quality I/O channels.
  6. tuartboy macrumors 6502a

May 10, 2005
    I would like to see the hybrid drives come out for the MP to eliminate some of the IO bottlenecks. Having 8 (even 4) crazy-fast CPUs is great and all, but it does me no good if they are all sitting around waiting for data.
  7. Big Boss Man macrumors regular

Oct 27, 2006
    Apple and Apogee are already working together. The Ensemble is supposed to be fully integrated with Logic Pro. They are currently only running with some beta drivers that have some issues. Once they get some stable drivers I am going to pick one up.
  8. Big Boss Man macrumors regular

Oct 27, 2006
    That is what I have been thinking ever since the MBP was last updated.
  9. ChrisA macrumors G4

Jan 5, 2006
    Redondo Beach, California
    If you install four SATA/300 drives I doubt I/O bandwidth is much of an issue. Each drive has it's own 3 gigabit channel. This computer was desigend by engineers at Intel and it shows. It is a well balanced design. Expensive parts but you really do need the that RAM a disk system to balance the four or eight CPU cores The MacPro will have a long life and any changes will be around the edges. They can offer a different video card and change the base RAM and base drives.

What I DO expect is another computer. Apple needs to offer a headless computer that fills the gap between the Mac Pro and the Mac Mini. My guess is that Apple has only a fixed number of engineers and they were ALL working overtime to do the switch to Intel and now that is over they've gone on to other projects. Projects typically take a year more or less to complete. We should see the results in mid to late 2007.

I'm looking for a computer called simply a "Mac" that was two Xeon cores and maybe two PCI Express slots and room for two internal drives and is 1/2 the size of the Mac Pro. Basically it would have exactly 1/2 the specs of the "Pro" Half the cores, half the RAM, halfthe drives, half the size, half the number of PCI slots and so on. Hopelly 1/2 the price
  10. FFTT macrumors 68030

Apr 17, 2004
    A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
    I'm well aware of their partnership, but I'd like the stock 2 channel audio section of the Mac Pro to be built by Apogee with their AD/DA converters.