Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
I want coverage for the back, but more like a silicone just to protect it from scratches. At this point I'm not super worried about doing the smart keyboard - I'm gonna try a stand and bluetooth keyboard combo for when I want to do heavy typing on it.

I'm definitely gonna order a glass screen protector, if that isn't gonna affect pencil use.

ZebraDude

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2014
Naperville, IL
I want coverage for the back, but more like a silicone just to protect it from scratches. At this point I'm not super worried about doing the smart keyboard - I'm gonna try a stand and bluetooth keyboard combo for when I want to do heavy typing on it.

I'm definitely gonna order a glass screen protector, if that isn't gonna affect pencil use.

This is my 12.9 ProStand

http://www.amazon.com/Anker-Multi-A...&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

This the the back case I purchased for my BIG Guy.

http://www.amazon.com/ESR-Perfect-K...&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00

This is where it sleeps when not being used (has a little area for the pencil as well).

http://www.amazon.com/ProCase-Prote...&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

Ps. I have the Smart Keyboard and I like it's small size.

:)

Last edited:
Reactions: sinsin07 and sracer

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I currently use clear Con-Tact paper (carefully trimmed) to protect the back of mine from scratches and to improve the grip. I have just received (what was advertised to be) a super-thin clear hard shell. Because of the size of the iPad anything that is not ultra-light and ultra-thin will add significant weight to the iPad.

Having just the iPad and smart cover or smart keyboard (I like to switch between both) is very nice.

edit: here are some photos of the back...

Attachments

• IMG_0240.JPG
    IMG_0240.JPG
    271.2 KB · Views: 236
  • IMG_0241.JPG
    IMG_0241.JPG
    290 KB · Views: 294
Last edited:

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Mar 15, 2005
Apple Smart Cover and back.

I agree. This is a very elegant solution. It looks like one piece when used together, just beautiful, still pretty slim. However, it is also easy to pop off the cover if you need to or want to. At least give this option a try. You can always return the silicone cover and Smart Cover within 14 days if you had to (if bought at Apple).

Reactions: 88Keys

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
I love the Apple setup - I just really felt like I could keep the cost down on that, especially since I may want to wind up with a keyboard/case set not too far down the road.

ZebraDude

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2014
Naperville, IL
I currently use clear Con-Tact paper (carefully trimmed) to protect the back of mine from scratches and to improve the grip. I have just received (what was advertised to be) a super-thin clear hard shell. Because of the size of the iPad anything that is not ultra-light and ultra-thin will add significant weight to the iPad.

Having just the iPad and smart cover or smart keyboard (I like to switch between both) is very nice.

@ZebraDude , that's the case (clear) that I ordered! LOL

edit: here are some photos of the back...

I believe I got the idea from you! :)

Thank you by the way!
[doublepost=1460494047][/doublepost]
I love the Apple setup - I just really felt like I could keep the cost down on that, especially since I may want to wind up with a keyboard/case set not too far down the road.

The back case I picked up fits perfectly works with the smart keyboard/smart cover and it is MUCH MUCH cheaper!

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Mar 15, 2005

Well, if you ever go with the Apple Smart Keyboard, you'll already have the silicone back then.

The Apple cases seem less likely to scratch the iPad than most too. Most are hard plastic shells on the inside at least the part that touches the iPad tend to be on those.

Last edited:

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
Zebradude, I like that case and am filing it away in case I wind up with the smart keyboard. Right now I bought a similar one, but one that covers the entire back/edges since I am just going to use the bluetooth keyboard for now (it was about $10, so I won't mind replacing later - just want protection now). I ordered a glass screen protector, ordered that stand you posted, and have the leather case in my cart for later. I want to use this thing another week and be sure I'm good with the size (even though my Air 2 looks like a baby right now).

Reactions: ZebraDude

sers

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2006
I originally had the Jetech folio case but didn't like the poor fit. It covered half of the speakers and started cracking at the corners. I eventually got a bestskinsever on the front and back and purchased a PU folio case off eBay for $25. Looks and works great, for the most part - the only problem with it is that it covers the light sensor so I can't really use the auto brightness feature. Not a big deal for me as I can adjust the brightness manually. Otherwise I really like it so far.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
Wound up going with the case zebradude posted and ordering the smart keyboard. I did the AT&T 20% off deal for three accessories and ordered the Apple pencil (will return the other to Apple after I get the one from AT&T), the smart keyboard and a $5 glare protector for my Air 2 which my sister is buying. Basically I saved $56 on the smart keyboard if you consider I would've paid full price for the pencil either way, so it was worth it.

Reactions: ZebraDude

ZebraDude

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2014
Naperville, IL
Wound up going with the case zebradude posted and ordering the smart keyboard. I did the AT&T 20% off deal for three accessories and ordered the Apple pencil (will return the other to Apple after I get the one from AT&T), the smart keyboard and a $5 glare protector for my Air 2 which my sister is buying. Basically I saved $56 on the smart keyboard if you consider I would've paid full price for the pencil either way, so it was worth it.

Great Deals! I wish they had the ATT deals when I purchased mine. I did get my pro as a open box at $636.00 and the Smart Keyboard as a open box so not bad for me.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
This is my 12.9 ProStand

http://www.amazon.com/Anker-Multi-A...&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

This the the back case I purchased for my BIG Guy.

http://www.amazon.com/ESR-Perfect-K...&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00

This is where it sleeps when not being used (has a little area for the pencil as well).

http://www.amazon.com/ProCase-Prote...&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

Ps. I have the Smart Keyboard and I like it's small size.

:)

+1 for the Anker stand, we have 4 in use in our house :)

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
I agree. This is a very elegant solution. It looks like one piece when used together, just beautiful, still pretty slim. However, it is also easy to pop off the cover if you need to or want to. At least give this option a try. You can always return the silicone cover and Smart Cover within 14 days if you had to (if bought at Apple).

I too have the Apple setup and love it, but don't you think I gets dirty quickly, I mean with fingerprint marks?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.