What case is best for putting iPad in a backpack?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by vinum0908, Jan 11, 2011.

1. macrumors newbie

I've been searching forever, but most reviewers comment on how a case feels when holding the iPad in your hand or around the house...

I'm a student and plan on putting my iPad in a backpack most of the time with a few other books. I ordered a hard back shell for it and a screen protector-- will this be enough?

I really want to avoid the cases with folding covers since I find them unwieldy and annoying, but I don't want to mega-scratch my iPad's screen or anything.

Tips from fellow backpack stuffers?

2. macrumors 6502a

I got a neoprene sleeve and stuck a piece of cardboard in it to protect my screen. The adhesive screen protectors only keep it from getting scratched, not cracked or crushed.

3. macrumors 6502

I think the sleeves from Booq (booqbags.com) have a hard side to protect the screen.

Anyway, I'd probably go with a sleeve if I were going to carry my iPad in a backpack regularly.

4. macrumors 6502

This is the case I use and it is a great backpack case. Soft neoprene to prevent scratches on the back and a hard plastic sheet under neoprene to protect the screen. Check out my review video here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYDyiPem7ps

5. macrumors newbie

6. macrumors 6502a

While I don't have an iPad yet, I'll most likely purchase the second generation soon after it comes out.

I've thought about this issue a lot. I have an Incase sleeve and backpack that I use with my MBP everyday. For over two and a half years I haven't had any issues with protecting the notebook.

I'm really curious how people carry their iPads around campus or on a commute to work. I'm not worried about the aluminum back, but cracking the glass screen seems possible in a backpack with books, even if the iPad is in a sleeve and it's own separate compartment. I hope I am wrong about this, though.

7. macrumors 6502a

TheShinyMac

I use the apple case, while slidding it into my laptop compartment in my computer. it works flawlessly

8. macrumors 6502a

9. macrumors 6502a

TheShinyMac

On a heavy homework day, Id say 10 pounds worth of books.

10. macrumors 6502a

That's actually really reassuring that the Apple case can protect the screen in that scenario. Thanks for the heads up.

11. macrumors regular

Absrnd

I bought a cheap neoprene sleeve, and had a 3mm aluminium plate made in the size of the ipad, for a few bucks.
    covered the alu with sticky back felt, and put it inside the sleeve, and sits against the iPad screen.

I can now almost sit on my ipad sleeve this thing is strong :)

12. macrumors regular

tek210

13. macrumors 6502

both my girlfriend and i use the apple case for our ipads in our backpack, and neither of us have had a problem.

14. macrumors 6502

I bought a netbook bag for my iPad. It has a lot of padding and was $15.00. I have seen iPad cases almost copy the same case for $50.00. Seriously look at netbook cases and save some money. They are designed for a heavier product so they are more robust.

15. macrumors regular