what causes in-grown hairs?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by twoodcc, Feb 22, 2007.

1. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

i'm curious, cuz i've been getting quite a few on my chin.

is it from my razor or how i shave?

2. johnmartin78 macrumors regular

johnmartin78

3. Steven Jackson macrumors 6502

Strange topic for MacRumors, but I would also like to know the answer to this... They only occur on the part of your face that you shave, so it must be connected to shaving.

Hmmm.

Steve.

4. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

Can be because you're shaving too close, or too harshly, so you skin is repairing itself and covering the follicle. Women also get ingrown hairs if they wax.

Try this, it works a treat for this problem.

5. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I've gotten waxes and don't have ingrown hairs...

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

How do I know if I have an ingrown hair? I mean, what am I looking for.....inflammation or something?

I heard inflammation and some other skin reactions can be caused by ingrown hairs, kind of like that guy who posted a thread here recently about shaving his butt crack and requiring major surgery because of some weird skin reaction down there. :eek:

Ok....what was I talking about? Oh yes, ingrown hairs. :p Does it cause irritation? What does it even look like? Oh, if you have fair skin and have dark facial hair, does ingrown hair make your face appear a bit hairy even after shaving?

7. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

it comes up as a pimple after a couple of days. Its just a hair which folded in on itself and skin grew over it. They aren't the most comfortable of things

8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Well if they're painful, then I have certainly never had one. I shave against the grain.

9. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

It's really not. I'm not even going to grace some of the others with links :p

I don't think there necessarily has to be a cause for ingrowing hairs. Some people get them more than others.

10. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

I tried electric razors when I was 20 or so, and I would tend to get ingrown hairs. I've used a razor (now Mach III) ever since with no problems. I was recently thinking (wondering) to myself if electrics have improved enough over the years so that I might have better luck with one now?!

11. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Maybe, I use one of the top end Philishave's with no problems, though every now and then I use this... Oo vibrations :D

12. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

What about just scrubbing/"exfoliating" your face? A bit of cleaning could help.

13. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

what does the battery actually power?

14. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

It simply makes the razor "buzz" as it moves across your face. I use one, and I actually think it helps a lot to make the razor move smoother, without dragging at all on your skin or any imperfections.

15. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

Sorry Devilot, I should have put women can also get ingrown hairs from waxing...

16. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

That's what I'm using now...

17. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

you've angered the hair gods, you must pray more.

No really, it happens, but sometimes changing the blade (even brand) and not going against the grain helps. However nothing more pointless than a shave that doesn't go against the grain... it's just not smooth. :p

I've also waxed and didn't suffer ingrown hairs but that wasn't on my face either. (plus I'm a laser hair removal type of gal) ;-)

Anyway, exfoliate* it might help.
    *a word that might frighten men but it's worth it

18. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Generally ingrown hairs show up where the hair is restricted (under your arms) or where you shave. I have never had any issues with waxing and ingrown hairs though. Generally if you shave after you shower that loosens up the hair and helps with shaving. You should also ex foliate from time to time. Use a mild scrub on your face, proactive makes a daily scrub that is mild and while it was geared towards acne, it really works well. For women, a sugar scrub from the body shop is amazing. It leaves a gentle film on your skin that makes shaving great.

You should also consider changing your razor, I generally think something with two blades is better than something with one. Also consider how you're holding your razor.

19. Apemanblues macrumors regular

Apemanblues

20. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

I usually put cream on after shaving and there tends to be less in-grown hairs for me.

21. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

well i use a cheap electric razor from wal-mart. to get it to shave right, i first have to shave with the trimmer part, and then after that gets it, i use it like a regular shaver.

i only get the in-grown hairs under my chin and on my neck.

so you think i should get a new razor?

22. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

You shouldn't be getting ingrown hairs from an electric razor -- it's one of the main reasons people switch to them from regular razors. I suggest you invest in a good one and take care of your face.

23. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

yeah, i think you're right. i'll try to get a better one soon. thanks