Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WillMak

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2005
axisdrama said:
Well, ever since running disk utility, it hasn't happened to me, but, of course, this doesn't mean that it fixed anything -- it could be unrelated. I don't use bit torrent. I think it happened to me while working on PowerPoint or Word -- not sure if my situation was really software related at all, though. I do have 1GB of Crucial RAM installed, so perhaps that could have caused the problem??? Not sure. If it happens to my computer again, I'll let you know, but so far so good.

Hmm, I was getting ready to declare Azureus as the main problem but your 1 gig of crucial ram soudns suspicious sinceI too have 1 GB of crucial.

I'll try switching to a different Bit torrent client then. How come JAva based programs have double the chance of things going wrong?

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
WillMak said:
How come JAva based programs have double the chance of things going wrong?
The Mac implementation of JVM (Java Virtual Machine which runs all Java apps) has always been a bit dodgy. Apple and Sun has never quite agreed on who's fault this is. The upside is that it gets better and better, but Java is still a place to look when something goes wrong... ;)

WillMak

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2005
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
The Mac implementation of JVM (Java Virtual Machine which runs all Java apps) has always been a bit dodgy. Apple and Sun has never quite agreed on who's fault this is. The upside is that it gets better and better, but Java is still a place to look when something goes wrong... ;)

ah sweet thanks man

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
Mitthrawnuruodo said:

and spread the blame to the people that write those java apps too.....some of them work great on Macs, but others, well, some of the programmers just dont take the time to test them fully on a Mac so they're buggy and dont run well....or at all

Arcus

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2004
of my hand will get me slapped.
Macky-Mac said:
and spread the blame to the people that write those java apps too.....some of them work great on Macs, but others, well, some of the programmers just dont take the time to test them fully on a Mac so they're buggy and dont run well....or at all

Wasen't Java supposed to be write once run anywhere? If so and you HAVE to test on different types of machines I would say that Java has failed.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Arcus said:
Macky-Mac said:
Wasen't Java supposed to be write once run anywhere? If so and you HAVE to test on different types of machines I would say that Java has failed.
You're right, you shouldn't need to make special adjustment for Macs (though the swing library, used for making GUIs, has caused problems on Macs).

So, even though there are some sloppy programming out there, the Java Machine should protect you and clean up, e.g. eliminating the memory leak problems you get from bad C++ programming.

The main problem is a sh**ty JVM, and poor support for some of the Java APIs on the Mac, not Java developers.

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
You're right, you shouldn't need to make special adjustment for Macs (though the swing library, used for making GUIs, has caused problems on Macs).

So, even though there are some sloppy programming out there, the Java Machine should protect you and clean up, e.g. eliminating the memory leak problems you get from bad C++ programming.

The main problem is a sh**ty JVM, and poor support for some of the Java APIs on the Mac, not Java developers.

definitely, Java hasn't lived up to it's hype as the great cross platform programming thing.....and no offense intended to any java developers out there.....but if java developers are aware that "The main problem is sh**ty JVM...." then they should know enough to test their product to see if it really works as intended and make whatever adjustments are required....that's how qualtiy products are developed

WillMak

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2005
DAMN IT!!!! It jsut happened a 6th time!!!!!!!!! What is the best alternative bit torrent client out there?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.