What CELL PHONE should I BUY?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Heart Break Kid, Feb 19, 2004.

1. Heart Break Kid macrumors 6502a

ok, heres the thing. Right now, I have a decent cell - it makes calls, it can recieve calls and it can text message. Thats about where the cool features stop.

My dream cellphone would have have a color screen, and be blue tooth enabled.

Im not a cell phone guru, so any suggestions on which I should look into getting would be a real help.

It has to work with either, Cingular Wireless, Verizon or AT&T...and I dont want to spend over $600 USD

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP IN ADVANCE!

2. iN8 macrumors regular

I like the Sony-Ericsson Z600.

Check it out here.

The T630 is sweet too.

3. Heart Break Kid thread starter macrumors 6502a

wow!

that phone looks pretty nice. ok, so far for me, its a tie between Sony-Ericssons T616 and Z600

anyother suggestions?

my only concern is that the Z600 wont be offered by AT&T wireless, Verizon or Cingular. Those are the three big carriers in ATL.

4. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

If $600 is your limit, I say splurge and go for the P800, big color screen, Bluetooth, MP3 player (don't think it does AAC though), camera, and support for 3GPP media, which you can create/convert in QuickTime.

5. joshuajestelle macrumors regular

I would highly recommend the Ericsson T610 or T616 (as far as I can tell there isn't much difference between the two... except T-Mobile carries the 610 and AT&T carries the 616).

Right now on Amazon, if you start a new plan with T-Mobile, after rebate you can get the T610 for $-50.01, that means they pay you $50 to get that phone and start a service with them.

I'm actually planning on doing that as soon as my current service agreement expires.

Josh

6. Doraemon macrumors 6502

7. russed macrumors 68000

russed

z600 all the way. the screen is far better on this than on the t610.

8. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

You might look into the V600 from Motorola. Its release has been delayed, but it has all the features you're looking at and is highly anticipated.

9. hmmm macrumors member

P900

P900 is an ultimate phone, organiser, gadget and even plays MP3s (OK, it's not an iPod, but look what you get for your money). I really wansn't too sure before I bought mine, I mean, did I need this organiser, phone, gadget, but really, it is far better than I could ever have thought, a complete turn arround from the P800. Enjoy

10. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    i did this back with a t68i.

t-mobile forgot about my contract, if i had one, so i got paid $50 to get a phone with no contract. i sold the t68i and bought a p800, which i would highly recommend.

11. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

Not the Z600 !!!

Get the T630 !!!

Go in the next store and make the comparison. The Z600 is tooo biiiggggg !!
    :cool: :cool:

12. madoka macrumors 6502

madoka

Got my P900 for $150 after rebate with a $70 a month year contract. Sine I was already spending $50 on service, the phone ends up "costing" me about $400. That's a great deal for the P900, which is the highest end phone available right now.

13. Heart Break Kid thread starter macrumors 6502a

im on the AT&T service right now - so I thiink Im going to go for the T616, only because it offers everything I need, and it looks pretty fly.

Someone said I should wait until the summer when some kind of new technology comes out? I dont know what they were talking about...do you guys have any idea?

14. abhishekit macrumors 65816

abhishekit

Nice choice.. I have t616 and its a very good looking instrument. Although you would get many more features in P900 but the size is not very appealing. And as evrything in your dream phone didnt include any of the extras, you would be happy with your choice.
    Although do check the firmware which you get with your phone. My phone is 6 months old, firmware is R1A... and I cant browse files on my computer via bluetooth. But all the rest of the features of bluetooth work pretty well.
    A small observation: The camera on the phoen is not good as compared to other camera phones liek samsung..But anyways who uses his phone for serious photography...NOt me atleast:)
    cheers

15. Nipsy macrumors 65816

Nipsy

16. ratspg macrumors regular

bluetooth or no bluetooth thats the q

if u want bluetooth, a sony ericcsson like t630 or something should take care of you. ... regarding flip phones, the motorola v300 and up (400,600) are all great cell phones.. cheers..

17. Kid Red macrumors 65816

Those SonyEricsson phones are too puny. My Nokia 3650 rocks, it's not too big, but bigger then those tiny phones which is good because you can't surf the net as well on a tiny tiny screen. My phone takes pics, video, records sound, email, apps, games, etc with Symbian OS not some crap OS. I liked the t68i until i saw one in person, it's about the size of my screen on my phone. Sorry, but I like taking pics of things and mailing them to people, on a tiny phone that wouldn't be as fun. Not to mention the games and apps and surfing the net, etc on a tiny quarter sized screen.

Whatever phone you get, get it at Amazon. My 3650 is a $300 phone I got free from all the rebates at Amazon. Can't beat a free $300 phone.

18. Crikey macrumors 6502

All I can contribute to this thread is, if you want a cool phone, don't get service through Verizon. They have a frustratingly bad phone selection. Their coverage, service, and prices are the best I've found (for my unique usage needs), but their phones just don't excite me. Not much that works with iSync. No Palm phones -- what I really want is the Samsung SPH-i500 that the SprintPCS users can get. It's a CDMA phone -- why won't Verizon support it?! What's with Verizon's collection of crappy Windows-based "smart" phones but no Palms?

ARRGGGH!

(Umm, sorry about the shouting . . . )

Crikey

19. noel4r macrumors 6502a

I had a T616 and a T610 but if you have to choose between those two and the Z600, definitely go for the Z600. The signal is much better and the T616 and the T610 have a useless screen under sunlight.

But if you want to go crazy, I say the P900.

20. Heart Break Kid thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks yall for the quick responses

I was torn between the Z600 and tthe T616, but ultimatley, Im going to go for the Sony-Ericsson.

The side kick is a pretty nice looking gadget, but their is no way i could hold that to my ear without feeling kinda awkward. I got to fool around with the Nokia 3650 today, and that thing is far too bulky for my taste. Its very...it feels like a brick in my hand. No offence meant.

Anyway, thanks again yall. Im not going to be putting money down for a little while, so iff you have anything else to add to this thread go right ahead -- ill check it, and i might even change my mind on the T616 if something cooler comes out

21. absolut_mac macrumors 6502a

absolut_mac

Regardless of phone, go with T Mobile!

I have Verizon, and even as I drive through low-rise Beverly Hills, I continually play the "Hello!?!? Can you hear me now???" game.

My friend at work has a Sony phone with T Mobile. In the lunch room I can't get a signal, whereas he not only gets a strong clear signal, but voices sound a lot better and more realistic too. Obviously a combination of both his phone and carrier.