What cell phone should I get 200 to spend

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by IDANNY, Mar 12, 2006.

1. IDANNY macrumors 6502a

IDANNY

what cell phone should I get? I really like sony ericsson I have been looking at the w600i. Is their anything you guys and girls would suggest. I really appreciate it.
    I have cingular. I am not allowed to sign a contract.

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

3. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I have had very bad luck with Motorola. I've had two of their phones, and both of them have had bad batteries and had problems charging (when I plug it in, sometimes I have to fiddle with the connector (a lot) to get it to start charging).

I've always liked the look of Sony phones, but I've never had one.

edit: I've also known many who are happy with their Samsung phones

4. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Kingsly

I love my Sony Z500a, but as of late I have been looking at the new SLVR by Motorola. The problem is I hate Motorola's UI, where I love Sony's.

5. ipacmm macrumors 65816

ipacmm

I really have enjoyed Sony Ericsson phones, I never hand any issues with them. I would check out the W800i or the W900i (I know the W900i might be a little more then what you want to spend, but it is a great phone).

Also what are you looking for in a phone? good camera? bluetooth?

6. unixfool macrumors 6502a

I've don'e Samsung, Sony, and Motorola. I've the best experience with Motorola (Cingular).

7. IDANNY thread starter macrumors 6502a

IDANNY

Well I dont really care about the camera. I do like the idea of having music on the phone. How does the Sony Ericsson W600i work with the mac. O and I bluetooth is a must.

8. asherman13 macrumors 6502a

asherman13

SLVR works quite well, of course.

9. ipacmm macrumors 65816

ipacmm

All SE should work great on the Mac, with iSync, bluetooth files, bluetooth modem they can do everything.

10. IDANNY thread starter macrumors 6502a

IDANNY

i was thinking about the music how would you put it on with the se.

11. ipacmm macrumors 65816

ipacmm

You could mount the memory stick on your desktop and just transfer the files onto that or you can send the mp3 files over bluetooth right to the phone which will save to the phones memory stick.

12. JHipp macrumors member

I am also looking for a phone -- and I really like the w800i, or the k750; but everywhere I see them they are 350+..

Is this what they retail for? I'm considering just getting a RAZR or a SLVR.

13. netb0y macrumors regular

netb0y

I have a Motorola e815 and a Palm Treo 700w on Verizon. I love the Treo but it currently has one drawback in that it doesn't support DUN (dial-up networking). The e815 doesn't support it either out of the box but you can permanently enable it by simply pressing ##DIALUP (##312587). With DUN you can use the phone as a bluetooth modem and the e815 supports Verizon's EV-DO ("broadband") data speeds. If you are going with Verizon I would highly recommend the Motorola e815.

14. iamhammill macrumors 6502

iamhammill

I got a SE s710a on Ebay for $200. Awesome phone, great camera, MP3 playback, and syncs perfectly with iSync. Good reception on Cingular, and the battery lasts about 2-3 days on a charge.

15. sintaxi macrumors member

I totaly agree. the phones moterola is coming out with are slick but the ui needs major revisions. I like nokias interface best.

16. bodeh6 macrumors 6502a

bodeh6

For $200 out the door you can get the Z520a no contract. That is what I would do. I love SE phones.

17. ncook06 macrumors regular

I just got a Samsung A840 and when people call me, they hear their voice echo. I checked it out, and Sprint has no idea why this happens. I'm looking for another phone...

18. DCapple macrumors regular

DCapple

19. hookahco macrumors regular

I have a refurb s710a Ill sell for somewhere around your budget.. PM if interested
    Mods-im trying to help out.. no just promote my product.. if I really wanted to sell it on MR I would go to the marketplace.

20. donga macrumors 6502a

donga

i had one nokia, two se phones (att wireless), then a samsung now (verizon). i think the first se was nice, a t60. the 600i looks like a good bet.... if you like it buy it!

21. nutmac macrumors 68030

Sony Ericsson's quad-band phones have reception issues (call drops, etc.) that may or may not affect you. SE's tri-band models are generally regarded as almost on par with Nokia, which is consistently regarded as the best.

If you are with Cingular, in few weeks we'll see Nokia 6282 (estimated at $300 without contract, so with contract, it could be very close to $200), which appears to be a kick-ass phone.

22. bodeh6 macrumors 6502a

bodeh6

I have a Quad Band SE W600i and think that it is the best Reception out of the many phones that I have tried.