What Cell phone should I get?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by quigleybc, Dec 14, 2005.

1. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    There have been a few threads on this, but I wanted to start this one.

I have resisted cell phones for years, but now I guess it's time. I just want a cool phone that works with OSX seamlessly, and has good reception. The Razr V3 is going for a decent price right now, and one thread I saw talked about the Razr working with iSync via BT, so that seems to be an option..at least that is the one I am leaning towards. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

:)

2. slipper macrumors 68000

slipper

The RAZR is way overrated. To determine a good phone we need to know what you will be using it for.

I would recommend a Blackberry 7290 or 7100 or a Palm Treo for business professionals. Or a simple V3 RAZR for a teenager.

3. Sly macrumors 6502

Sly

If you are after a smart phone the Motorola 'Q' promises to be a good device. Due out Q1 2006.

4. mrzeve macrumors 6502a

5. iGary Guest

iGary

I like my Treo.

Do you need to send/receive e-mail/go on the Web?

6. PaddyB macrumors member

well if you like third party apps. try go for a symbian phone. i like the new nokia n 70. worth a look me reckons ;)

7. CompUser Guest

The V3 Razr from cingular will sync with your computer. I have the V3 Razr from cingular right now. The Verizion edition of the razr (V3c) is crippled, so I think you can only sync contacts and dates, no files. For xmas I am getting the verizon edition and dropping the cingular because cingular has no service at my house and everyone I know has verizon (in calling is free).

I reccomend the razr. It seems pretty solid and I've had no problems with mine. So if you want to connect with your mac, get the CINGULAR.

My dad just got the new blackberry, I forget the model but it is from verizon and its the new, compact one. It is not fully set up yet but I'll let you know how it works.

P.S. If you want the cingular razr it is free with service from amazon.com. (both silver and black)

8. IanF0729 macrumors regular

IanF0729

I'm a huge fan of my Sony Ericsson K700i. They have an all new, upgraded K750i that even supports external memory cards.

Some nice features include:
    -nice camera for a phone
    -mp3s as ringtones
    -streaming video
    -bluetooth (seamlessly compadible with iSync)
    -nice battery life
    -tri-band
    -FM radio

www.sonyericsson.com

9. doucy2 macrumors 65816

doucy2

i think the coolest phone is the
    sony w800i
    soo sweet in the orange
    everyone says the phone intergrates well with mac
    if I had the right kind of service i would be all over this phone

10. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

The L6 I think it's called the SLVR over there looks really cool. It's almost as thin as the V3 but isn't a flip phone (I hate flip phones). Has all the goodies, not sure if it has iTunes as yet but there was word going around that the L6 would be the next one to get it.

Same keypad as the V3 but a nice "candy bar" style to it.
    [​IMG]

11. Supa_Fly macrumors 68030

Supa_Fly

@quigleybc; and any1 else ...Ok there are a number of things that you want to consider...

Is it just for show and phone calls?
    Then get the Motorola Razr v3i (not the original old grey/silver & black & pink models) because its got hella show and can make nice calls.
    Advantage: metal body and has great quadband worldwide coverage. But also has Bluetooth v1.2 in Class 1 meaning using a headset you could be in the variety store with the phone locked in the car and still have a clear conversations. 1.3MP camera is there for the random photo for updating picture id.
    Disadvantage: if it drops it'll chip and it'll look like a cheap dime-bag hooker on your arm:p . Also the battery may never stay latched correctly. Not even sure repairs are done with this phone or if worth it. Motorola is good with blemish cosmetics not to charge you but not sure.

Is it for calls, pictures, and show and compatibility with Mac?
    SE K750i or import the new w900i >> Incredible PC4 power (thats 2 watts transmitter/receiver compared to average phones having less than 1watt for week signal)! BT v2.0 yes the higher output and compatibility with just about every bluetooth profile you can think of save for stereo sound output via BT. Seemless Sync with Mac! And incredible 2MP camera; not just a novelty but SERIOUSLY wicked photos to update your blog or for your mac. plus is supports 2GB MSDuo Pro cards now, with 4GB next April! pure music Mp3 or AAC (not protected) ! Currently the most popular GPRS phone is Europe!
    Disadvantage: No quadband just triband 900/1800/1900mhz so if your on Cingular then hope your travels isnt far from the major cities where 850Mhz would rain supreme.

Business & pleasure
    Treo 650, BlackBerry & S60 phones.
    >>all above have mission critical apps support and are great. BlackBerry's & S60 phones dont have touch screen but are incredible for 1 hand entry, retrieval and usuage of applications. Many apps for both are extremely good and arent duplicated as cheap poor apps like the tons on Palm of yesteryear.
    >>Treo650 has BlackBerry connect for BlackBerry like instant email service for your company or wireless provider IF and IF they'll support it (having a software PIN isnt the same as a hardware PIN in a BlackBerry).
    >>If your looking for full integration I have 3 suggestions....

1) Although the Motorola Q looks sweet its only GPRS and it'll be outdone by many other phones including other PocketPC phones.
    2> Get a PPC phone for pure apps and multimedia on the go >> Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 with an update in SP2 & in the device (must have both) will support push email like a BlackBerry but which devices will get a firmware update supplied by the manufacturer is anyones guess (HINT: HTC manufactures so many PPC/Smartphone devices that are rebranded under so many company's NOT all with have the same 1 size fits all firmware.)
    3> If your thinking of a Symbian OS device then wait until April 06 when the SE P990i & Nokia N80, E61 (BlackBerry like design also features 802.11b/g/e/i), E70 will ALL have 802.11 (b on the SE p990i no g format)g!!! And yes thats internet surfing at any hotspot you can get a signal & access to WITHOUT paying charges over GPRS/EDGE and WCDMA to the wireless provider!

KILLER POINT >> If you ever DID need WCDMA on Cingular or even ROGERS wireless here in Canada (summer 2006) then the Nokia N80 will be the ONLY one announced that'll have 1900Mhz WCDMA for North America; which NO OTHER manufacturer has commited to yet! (announcements are vapour way) btw, the N80 already received FCC approval for the 1900Mhz band of WCDMA thats before Europes 2100Mhz WCDMA version! sweet.

Web browsing on ANY of the business devices I mentioned is gonna be bliss but the BlackBerry (already does) & the N80 will support Flash Lite & SVG in html support! Reformatting automatically webpages to fit on the screen without loosing content. and ONLY the new Nokia's will have over the air firmware updates! Blackberry's will always allow you to update the firmware as RIM always releases updates for ALL providers that carry them (even if you bought a Canadian Rogers 7290, you could update the firmware yourself - under warranty covered, to the Cingulars 7290 firmware update or go back a version!).

The Treo 650 though only has a VGA camera with no flash while the BlackBerry dont have a camera. The N80 will have a 3MP Camera with Flash! The E70 will have 2MP no flash, and the E61 no camera but like the others will have memory expansion.

PS ... N80 will incorporate the standard imbedded browser that was collaborated by Apple engineers & Nokia.

12. quigleybc thread starter macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Wow,

Thanks everyone for the great replies.

It seems to be a challenge to lock down a solid opinon on cell phones in general, everyone seems to have a different opinion..

If I got the Razr, I would be using Rogers (a Canadian carrier) I have no clue if it is crippled like the Verizon ones...anyone know?

And I don't need a business type device, like a blackberry. But I would like the blue tooth, iSync action. I'm gonna check out those Sony Erikson one's as well, as they seem to be a positive choice from some of the above posts.

Thanks again !

13. quigleybc thread starter macrumors 68030

quigleybc

@ Prom 1....holy crap...now that's the most thorough reply I've ever gotten to any post on any site...ever...do you work in the wireless industry?

great post. many thanks, I might print that out to try understand it a bit better.

So, it seemed as though you gave the razr a thumbs up.

I do like flip phones for the old school Star Trek appeal. :p

But that slivr posted above does look sweet too. Rogers is pawnin the Razr for 99 dollars for a 3 year plan, and 150 for a 2 year plan. I could also get the little lady a phone for super cheap and do the family minutes thing with that Razr deal..

anyway. Thanks Prom 1, great reply, I have much to ponder...

14. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

Well, what exactly do you intend to do?

I needed a phone with pictures, so naturally over one megapixel and expandable memory, and I was already locked into Verizon, so I got the V710. Amazing phone, but doesn't sync via bluetooth without hacking (No OBEX).

15. quigleybc thread starter macrumors 68030

quigleybc

I want the Bluetooth action, good reception, style, and integration with OSX and iSync. That's about it.

16. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Get the Nokia 6230. Bluetooth, syncs with OSX, awesome signal...'nuff said.

17. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

i have the mot e815 for verizon and it syncs with ical and address book it a good phone. better IMO then the razr by verizon. It has a expandable memory and a work around so you can add your own graphics/ringtones with the use of the card. and moto's UI not verizon's fugly interface.

18. noel4r macrumors 6502a

By itself or are you using Phone Director?

19. ph0rce macrumors 6502

20. nina macrumors member

Hey! A fellow canuck! :p

I JUST bought a new RAZR this week, on FIDO. It's sooooo pretty! And I was especially surprised to find that it has ALL features enabled. Video recording, full bluetooth syncing with my PowerBook, etc. Since Rogers/Fido are the same thing now, I'm sure their phones would be similarly equipped.

It's a very functional phone, with an amazing design. For a long time, I was looking at the cheaper (and many say better) SE Z520, but I eventually picked out the RAZR just because of a bad case of techno-lust. I love it. I'm a sucker for good design, and while the Motorola OS is really clunky, you can't beat the hardware. It's gorgeous!

21. quigleybc thread starter macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Nice, the reply I was waiting for,

Ok, so you can get the Razr with Fido??? I had no idea, the fido site doesn't have any mention of the Razr on it, i must admit I am very ignorant when it comes to cell phones and carriers. I thought if I wanted the Razr, I had to go with Rogers....

guess not, How much did you pay for the razr on Fido?? Rogers has it for 150 for a two year plan.. and you say it synchs with iSync? Nice...

Why is the Motorola OS clunky? define clunky....

but, anyway, thanks for that reply, that helps a lot as tomorrow I am going to make a choice..and now Fido is in the descion making process..

Cool. thanks again..

22. Alone2Gether macrumors regular

I have the Sony Ericsson S710a. It works great with OS X and it's a great phone.

You should take a look at the new Sony Ericsson W600 (only if youu like orange)