What chair do you use?

Discussion in 'Mac Peripherals' started by alsec, Feb 16, 2013.

1. macrumors newbie

I hope I'm in the right thread for this post. If not, sorry and let me know!

So I'm in the market for a new computer chair. I'm looking for something that will allow me to sit for hours as I work at home. Show me what you use?!

Thanks!

2. macrumors 65816

drsox

This : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aeron_chair

You also should get a foot rest - 3M make a good one. What desk do you have ? Is it the right height ?

3. macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

4. macrumors 6502

an all black Kinnarps 6244 N34

[​IMG]

info

5. macrumors 6502a

shinji

I'm using an Aeron with the posturefit lumbar support. If you buy one, make sure to sit in it in a store and pick the right size for you (A,B, or C). There are guidelines based on your height etc., but the wrong size will either not give you enough support or make the part right behind your knee fall asleep, unless you remove the little cushion in the front of the seat underneath it. Still better to get the right size to start with.

With the correct size it is a fantastic chair for working very long periods of time sitting at your computer. And I second the footrest recommendation.

6. macrumors 6502

7. macrumors 6502

loved my aeron while it was good, but dissapointed on its longevity

but after about 3-4 years the mesh on the back and seat ripped down through the middle, from only home use, no office environment.

not exactly obesely huge either 6'3", 250.

8. macrumors 68040

Steelcase Leap. Expensive... but industrial strength. I use one in the corporate office, and then bought two for our home office.

/Jim

9. macrumors newbie

10. macrumors 68030

Mr. McMac

A $99 Staples Chair. It's comfortable, and comes with a 5 year warranty.

[​IMG]

11. macrumors 68030

fhall1

Herman Miller Aeron

12. macrumors 6502

Humanscale freedom. Can find them on ebay for $400 used, amazing chair, I own two.

13. macrumors 6502a

forza69

I have that $99 Staples chair and it's super comfortable. What I'd like to know from some of you is, how can you justify spending $600-??? on a chair? I know some of you sit on it for quite a while but damn. Seems a bit excessive.

14. macrumors member

I found an absolutely PERFECT Herman Miller Aeron chair in a consignment store a few years ago. Cost me $125 and it's the best chair I've ever owned, plus it has the lumbar attachment. It might be hard to cough up enough money to buy a new one, but if something happened to this one I just might. It doesn't get any better than this.

15. Mr. McMac, Feb 20, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2013

macrumors 68030

Mr. McMac

I agree. I personally think spending $600 on an office chair is a waste of money. At least for me it is. BTW I just got that Staples chair to replace a broken $100 Costco chair I bought in 2007. I took the chair back to Costco and I got full credit for it. Sounds unbelievable doesn't it?

Attached Files:

16. macrumors 6502a

btbrossard

A Serta office chair my wife and I got at Office Max. It was about $100 and it's comfortable.

We've had it about a year and it's held up good so far. It has a massaging thing built in that works well if you like that sort of thing (my kids use it all the time when they are sitting in it, I never use it).

Attached Files:

17. macrumors 6502

I just took a chair from my kitchen table and use that...

18. macrumors 601

How can you justify spending only $99 on a chair? Is your health and well-being really not worth much to you?

"Excessive" is highly subjective (as are "comfortable" and countless other words). Use what works for you but don't assume that your preferences and situation are universal no matter what the topic. There are plenty that find your Apple products excessive.

19. macrumors 603

Menel

At work, Aeron, employer bought.

At home, Ive done away with PC and desk. iPad only, and a small tucked away media server. Couch, leather arm chair, bed, etc.

----------

Wooow, freak occurance.

We have hundreds in our office, that have been here longer than me, 7 years. And are fine.

20. macrumors member

+1

21. macrumors 68000

jetjaguar

22. macrumors 68030

I guess it's a function of how the chair takes care of your body, how many hours you spend in it, and how long the chair lasts.

I am using a ~$250 chair that was quite nice when new, but I'm 2 years in and it's been broken down for a long time. My problem isn't so much the justification of funds as much as the logistics of trying these things out. My local stores seem to carry high end "house brands" and such, but I've not been able to test drive the ones I'm interested in.

23. macrumors 68040

We have always bought inexpensive (~$100 - $200) chairs from Costco or Staples. They always seemed adequate. Then... at work we got Steelcase "Leap" ergonomic chairs and all of a sudden the home chairs started feeling like crap in comparison. Once spoiled, the inexpensive chairs just don't cut it anymore.

/Jim

24. macrumors 6502a

forza69

Those who find what I have excessive are those who can't afford it. I simply asked how (I'm guessing you) and others can spend $600+ on a chair. If your health and well-being is affected by sitting down too much, well I feel bad for you. I have a job where I'm active 95% of the time, so no, to me a chair is not worth the money nor does it affect my health, but I wanted to know from some of you why it would be. I guess I got my answer. Jesus Christ, can't ask a simple question nowadays without being snapped at by some kid who thinks they know everything.

25. Mr. McMac, Feb 22, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2013

macrumors 68030

Mr. McMac

You are a serious chair snob. Not that there's anything wrong with that. That said, I can easily afford one, but I choose not to. BTW, I'm a 60 year old man in perfect health, even though I sit on cheap office chairs