What changes would Apple need to be made in order to make more PC people switch?

Discussion in 'Community' started by mgargan1, Jan 28, 2004.

1. macrumors 65816

mgargan1

What CPU clock speed do you think would be necessary to make even more PC people to switch to the Mac. I think the G5 is doing great, but the Athlon FX and Athlon 64 are great processors. I think that if Apple would release a system with 2.4-2.6GHz, or maybe quad machines? I think the OS is world class, and i do agree that the G5 is very fast, but i don't think it's fast enough to make people wanna switch as fast as they are.

2. macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-mgargan1

Honestly? They need to market what they have. Strongly. Show what it can do. Show the power, the accessibility, the strength.

They need to tell it like it is - focused from a mythkilling perspective.

3. macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I agree it's more of a marketing position that would be needed instead of a hardware change. The G5 could be at 4.5 GHz and the anti-Mac crowd still wouldn't care because they have no knowledge of what Macintosh computers can do. People spread ideas around that Macs can't use the internet properly and such and just assume they are junk. I had someone in the library ask me once why I was using a Macintosh at school if they aren't able to go online. I smirked since I was in fact online wirelessly with my phone while others in the library either couldn't go online or couldn't get the school network to work for them.

4. macrumors regular

Getting rid of all the misconceptions and flat out lies there are floating around would be huge. When I worked for Gateway, one of my friends who had been a tech there for several years and knew PC's inside and out, swore that no one made software for Macs except Apple and that they were unable to connect to the internet.

5. macrumors 68040

jxyama

economically non-viable but the easiest way is to simply drop the prices.

better way would be to appeal how Macs work very well with digital gadgets. target consumers purchasing digital cameras and camcorders and show them how Macs can help them get more (much more!) out of their recent investments.

lastly, Macs need to emphasize that almost all of their machines are very capable (except maybe RAMs) in their stock config. a good way is to advertize how many transactions go when you call a company like dell:

customer: hi, i'd like to order the $499 desktop.

dell: hi, what would you like to do with it?

customer: hmm, i like to email, surf the web and also use it with my digital camera.

dell: oh, ok, in that case, you may want to add the CD burner so you can make a backup of your pictures.

customer: oh. can i watch dvd on it too?

dell: well, in that case, you will need a combination CD burner and DVD player.

customer: ok, that sounds good. anything else i might need?

dell: well, we highly recommend adding more harddrive space and memory to make the system run better.

customer: ok... how much is all that?

dell: well, with all the additions, it'll be $900.

customer: oh, that's a bit more than i expected.. does it come with a nicer monitor?

dell: it comes with 17" crt. if you'd like a 15" flat screen, it will be $100 extra...

etc. etc.

(this is not factual based, but you know what i mean.)

6. macrumors 68020

Raid

As far as the computer market is concerned

Honestly to get masses of people to switch, it's got to be a three-pronged attack.

1)Apple needs to come out and get corporations first. As far as server applications are concerned Macs offer a vaild and strong alternitive when you compare the vitals and performance. As an incentive Apple can push the reduced IT costs as an incentive to buy. They should first start targeting small to medium businesses (or those without large integrated systems) and then go for bigger business when phase 2 has started to produce results.

2)Next entice application development with 3rd party developers in all areas (server, home user, games, etc.). If Apple holds the hands of first time developers while they port over a few apps to the Mac OS X environment they will get the hang of it and not fret about the unknown addtional cost of development for more users purchasing their products.

3)Home users are the last step that almost works it's self out. If you have corporations using Macs, people will be exposed to the Mac environment at work. They will use it, become more informed about it and dare I say many of them will become fans. What will tip the scales from fans into buyers is the availibility and variety of programs availible. If they see that owning a Mac means not having to give up programs they know and love, they won't be afraid to switch.

....but that's just my $0.02 and I hated my marketing courses in University. ;)

7. macrumors 65816

Price, price price, price-price-price-price-price-price.

...Which Apple will never change.

Oh, and compatibility with Windows and a much wider array of hardware and software. Most Windows users who disdain Macs think that it drastically limits your choices.

But if Apple made all these changes, the hardware and software would both be much worse and Apple would no longer be Apple. I'm content that Apple is pretty much doing everything it can. Although I would like to see it's market share grow, I don't think it will. C'est la vie.

8. macrumors 68000

MacFan25

I agree with what Patrick said. Apple needs to show in their commercials what macs are capable of, and how great of an operating system OS X is.

The switch ad campaign was a great idea, and it actually got me to switch to the mac. But other people will say that it was a failure, and that Apple's marketshare went down during the campaign. I'd like to see another campaign like that, but emphasize more on how macs can be used by all sorts of people - not just artsy people.

With the sucess of iTunes and the iPod, and the number of windows users who are using these, Apple's strategy now is that they believe that these people will consider a mac for their next computer purchase. I hope that this strategy will work, and I believe it can, if Apple continues to show what great products they make.

9. macrumors 68040

jxyama

i change my mind, apple should just sit back and let M$ mess up... :D

10. Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

They do need to do a better job pushing their strong products, problem is, the main line an average joe would be looking at, the iMac, is in serious need of a G5 to compete against the wintels.

11. macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Like many have said they need to get the product and software where people will see it. Hardware? the G4 is a good chip but since it never clocked up much in the past 5 years this has to be addressed. a 1.25 or better G4 in Emac, Imac has to have more cpu. you arent going to sell millions of 2 thousand dollar machines that are running a 1.25 G4. it needs a 1.6 G5 and option for 2.0 G5. it also needs better graphics then a fx5200. Pull out that chip and give it a agp slot and keep the prices where they are. Pro towers just need to get those bumps now that they have the G5. pro laptops underclocked G5's starting at 1.2 and 1.4 bottom line ibook & emac can make do with G4's as long as they are not crippled. G5s everywhere else. I think we will see all of this this year.

12. macrumors 6502a

MorganX

Now that I agree with 100%.

13. macrumors G3

Counterfit

I'm amazed at how you continue to not understand the concept behind "all-in-one".

Anyhoo, the most often heard things I at school ( from the windows/x86 fanboys really) are: "but it doesn't run windows" or "OS X is nice, but the hardware is too slow/overpriced/sucks"

14. macrumors 65816

rueyeet

Computing is only about clock speed if you're running processor-intensive apps, most of which except for games are in the realm of the pro or "pro-sumer". Most people just want to have Internet connectivity, maybe manage their budgets, write a few letters, take some digital photos, and maybe have a digital music collection. Wintel PCs have long since surpassed the clock speeds necessary for basic home use, and it's one of the reasons the industry has been in such a slump--no one needs to upgrade. So clock speed is NOT where it's at, here.

The reason most people don't buy Macs is that they are unfamiliar with them--when they say "computer", their only concept of a computer is a PC running Windows. There are lots of people that have only peripherially even heard of Macs, and have only a vague concept of what the differences are. Apple needs mindshare to increase marketshare.

Worse, most of the people who do include the Mac in their concept of a "computer" are thoroughly under the influence of all the myths: Macs aren't compatible. They're toys. They're for graphic designers. They're slow. Etc. Apple needs to combat these myths.

And even then, as long as they don't turn into a cheapo Dell-like pusher of low-priced crap, they're never going to get the people who are just looking for the lowest bottom line. Apple doesn't need to do anything about this, because as long as they can turn a profit, they don't need to be the Biggest Computer Company in the History of Mankind.

15. macrumors 68000

slipper

CPU speed has nothing to do with market share. the thing is, if people dont feel that there is any need to do something, they wont. most people find that the windows OS is just fine and dont want to deal. Apple needs to inform comsumers about how easy, compatible, updatable, and affordable macs are through advertisement. and once a skeptical PC user finally switches, maintain that relationship with good quality machines and great customer support. thats when the ultimate advertisement will finally take place, word of mouf.:D

i dont see very much apple advertisements compared to PCs especially since apple is competing with a million PC companies. the biggest complaint i get is that its not compatible and the second which puzzles me is the OS. Thrid is price. everybody here know that all the programs worth getting are available for macs, they dont. and almost every windows OS user has actually complimented OSX agreeing that its a better OS. they just dont feel the need to learn a new OS. As for price, maybe apple should develop a new series in the price range of emac with a different form factor thats more traditional like a PowerMac or cube.

16. macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Im amazed that you ignore the video card market on the pc side. you can still have a all in one with a little door on the side that allows this. and the hardware is to slow in Imac.

17. macrumors demi-god

LethalWolfe

While I agree that proc speed, especially in this day and age, shouldn't be a big selling point for computers unfortunetly it is. Clock speed, RAM, and HDD size are easily quantifiable<sp?> and easily compared. So manufacturers will continue to say that computer X is better than computer Y because computer X has a faster CPU. Just look at AMD. They tried debunking the mhz myth too but eventually went to a rating system.

The big problem is getting people to stop comparing hardware and start comparing computers. Unfortunetly that's alot easier said than done.

Lethal

18. macrumors 6502a

Inspector Lee

It's all about $$$ and xenophobia. The cheap n' plenty lemmings, when not burying small businesses with their weekly Wal-mart load-ups, can be seen salivating and moaning over Dell's $499 newspaper insert. They upgrade the optical drive, the monitor and if they are feeling daring the RAM. Oooooooooh! Throw in tax and 3 years of Norton Futilities plus the printer that'll die and be in a landfill in six months and they're suddenly knocking on the $1000 door. But in their minds, they only payed $499 and "got a great deal."

The bigger hurdle is the fear of anything different. Nobody wants to go out on a limb to see what the fruit tastes like anymore. It is amazing how dead-on the "1984" commercial is. Weekly virus attacks, crashes and reboots, clunky GUI - and they still sell like hotcakes.

I didn't switch in December 2002, I woke up.

19. macrumors 68000

slipper

i was refering to the apple verus PC contest, but on a PC to PC basis yes gigahertz is a big selling point. besides, the new 64bit processors are comparable from apple and AMD.

20. macrumors G3

Counterfit

Now where did you get the impression I ignore the PC video card market WHEN I ****ING SURROUNDED BY IT. Everywhere I look I see the newest stuff for PCs, it can't be avoided. Everywhere I look, I see you saying "iMacs/eMacs need to be upgradeable". THEY ARE MEANT FOR PEOPLE WHO DO NOT WANT TO OPEN THEIR COMPUTERS AND UPGRADE THEM. If you want to upgrade the innards, get a tower or an as-yet-nonexistent headless Mac.

21. macrumors demi-god

LethalWolfe

They are only comparable to people who know a little something about computers. The average consumer, and the average computer/electronics superstore sales person, will assume the computer w/the faster CPU will be the faster computer. ghz is ghz right? Heck, even PC fanboys that know better will still spout mis-info that ghz matters just because they don't like Macs (this is especially ironic when it comes from AMD fanboys). Over a period of years Intel got the public at large to believe that mhz matters, the bigger then number the faster the machine, and that old wives tale from the 20th century isn't going to go away anytime soon unfortunetly. Heck, what was the first thing Apple said when it released the G5? The fastest personal computer ever.

Even though they shouldn't be hardware specs are given more weight when selling/marketing computers because they can be broken down into easy to quantify, easy to compare numbers ready made for the average joe.

Oh how I long for the days of Apple's "rip.mix.burn" ads. The ads that said, "look at what great/amazing/fun things you can effortlessly do w/our software."

Lethal

22. macrumors 65816

Flynnstone

I think we are nieve if all Windows users would switch. Lets group the Windows users:
    - Those that don't know better.
    - Those that know better, but are too scared to switch.
    - Those that would like to switch, but don't know how to go about it.
    - And those that are too bloody stupid!

For the latter category, we don't want those people to switch.
    Such as this fine fellow :
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=57719

"Idiot" is most likely my most conservative statement I have ever made! Perhaps a future candidate for the Darwin awards.

23. macrumors regular

Well, cheap(affordable) headless G5 based Mac would be great start.

24. macrumors G3

Counterfit

Yes, a G5 in the form of one of those tiny cube-ish PC's would be pretty handy/nifty.

25. macrumors 6502a

markjones05

I think that lack of games is one thing that was not said that is a big part of it. Aside from that marketing is by far the biggest problem apple has. What the **** are thos iPod commercials. Am i the only one who thinks they are horrible? If you don't know what the **** an iPod is how are you going to know what the commercial is about! They don't even show the thing up close, its shot from 20 feet away. The iPod is gorgeous why wouldnt you show it. Every apple is designed beautifully why would you not advertise commercials for them? It really just comes down to telling the public about Apples. They are relying on word of mouth and those terrible iPod commercials and billboards to bring in switchers? What are they thinking? People dont want to buy what some Apple sales person tells them is just good enough to do the things they want to do. They want something that can do what they couldn't do before. And a computer that can grow woth the technology. The e-mac and imac are completely not upgradable. Thats why they want to hear a Dell rep. spout off everything that they can do and upgrade to with there computer.