Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rontheancient

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 22, 2005
USA
Ok, all my acceptance letters have come in (7/17 colleges accepted) and I have narrowed it down to three: UC Riverside, UC Davis, University of Washington-Seattle and I want to choose one that will most help with my major (aerospace eng.). This is what I can see:

Riverside: Accepted into honors program, close to home, engineering program looks good. Ranked 38 by US News

Davis: Newer facilities. Farther from home but not too far, Honors program looks more helpful than that of Riverside. Not much info on academics. Will visit this week. Ranked 15 by US News

UW: Out-of-state tuiton will kill me, no CalGrant. Boeing is in the neighborhood (internship?). I love Seattle, but a little far from home. Did not get into honors program (but it did look good) Ranked 10 by US News

In your opinion, which college is best to help toward my major? If you recently attended or are attending these colleges, I would like your opinion.

Thanks

Peyton

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2006
I have only heard great things about washington-seattle. I do want to say though, that more and more, undergraduate college is becoming the equivalent to highschool 20-30 years ago. Just about everyone has a degree in SOMETHING. So seriously, while you seem very bright, undergrad isn't exactly that important. Do well where ever you go, but its grad school and what you do afterwards that will set you apart. I'm saying this because you shouldn't think as I did...

"oh if I don't get in/go here than my whole life is going down the drain. You can transfer undergrads if you HAVE to, but pick the one you felt most comfortable in when visiting, go, get out, and then focus on grad school.

This coming from a graduating senior this May :D

Good luck

cycocelica

macrumors 68000
Apr 28, 2005
Redmond, WA
I love Seattle. Granted I go to Washington State University (cross state rivals) but I have many friends who go there and it is a good school. I could go on about how WSU is better but I wont. Adventure out of where you live. Going some place new is sometimes the best thing you can do. Seattle is a great town, but the city doesnt really back up the school, it is just too big. But the people there are nice (as long as they have had their morning coffee). I would highly suggest going Greek as you would make many more friends sinced you will be out of state. Chi Psi or Pi Kappa Phi are two great fraternities to check out.

Also you dont want to live in SoCal your whole life, its not healthy :) But really, the change is good and Seattle is a wonderful city.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
If you're thinking about going to grad school, I'd say set yourself up for that-- pick a school that will really give you a good undergrad experience including chances for research and close mentorship w/ specific professors (who can then write amazing letters of rec for you if/when you apply to grad school). That's why I'd recommend going somewhere that you've been accepted into the honors program.

Sorta wish I had done that.

Also, have you actually visited the campus and surrounding areas of these schools? If not... do it! I think it's really important.

baby duck monge

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2003
Memphis, TN
My vote would be for Seattle first (great school, great city). If you can't swing the finances (you can make up for it down the road when you get a good job - not that you wouldn't at one of the other schools, though - and student loan repayment is actually very reasonable), I would go to Davis. That's another good school, and it's nice to be a bit further away from home. Of course, I would say that since I went to school about 1,000 miles away from home, but I promise it's a good thing!

rontheancient

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 22, 2005
USA
Thanks for all the advice,

I do plan on going to grad school and the idea of getting into a honors program to appeal to grad schools is growning on me.

I already toured Riverside at one of their engineering open house days and it looks reasonable. Davis I will visit this week. However, Seattle is just too last minute and too expensive ($400 for plane tickets alone).

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Taking finances into account, I would definitely say Davis. Riverside is by far the weakest of the UC campuses (not counting Merced yet since they're so small and new).

goodtimes5

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2004
Bay Area
I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I have my own question:

UC Berkeley or UC San Diego (Revelle College) for a biology major hoping to move on to med school?

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
goodtimes5 said:

UC Berkeley or UC San Diego (Revelle College) for a biology major hoping to move on to med school?

Academically, either one is a terrific choice. I would say it should come down to where you feel most comfortable...they're very different schools in many respects...politically, socially, recreationally, etc.

thedude110

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2005
goodtimes5 said:

San Diego, where you can ditch biology and study poetry.

All of George's Oppen's mangnficent papers locked away in the UCSD library ...

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
goodtimes, I still say you and the OP would benefit from going and visiting these schools in person.

Cal and UCSD are very different. I would know... I went to Cal my first year, my sister went to UCSD-- we're polar opposites. :p

goodtimes5

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2004
Bay Area
devilot said:
goodtimes, I still say you and the OP would benefit from going and visiting these schools in person.

Cal and UCSD are very different. I would know... I went to Cal my first year, my sister went to UCSD-- we're polar opposites. :p

I visited SD already, and I'm visiting Cal later this month. San Diego seems very laid back and comfortable, and I'm expecting Cal to be very studious and etc.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
goodtimes5 said:
I...and I'm expecting Cal to be very studious and etc.
Er. Not in my personal experience. A ton of hard drug users. A ton of wannabe gangsters getting into the greek life. :rolleyes: I didn't enjoy myself there.

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
Peyton said:
I have only heard great things about washington-seattle. I do want to say though, that more and more, undergraduate college is becoming the equivalent to highschool 20-30 years ago. Just about everyone has a degree in SOMETHING.

Good luck

i have also heard good things about uw and with boeing there and being the highest ranked of the three, i think it's a no brainer

as far as everybody having a four year college degree, still only a quarter of the population has a degree and only a quarter of those have anything beyond that level...but it does seem there are a lot of degrees

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
I would check out this thread for some good advice. btw, there is nothing good with going to a good party school. Were #1! We're #1!

and ps, the real UW is the University of Wisconsin

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
Koodauw said:
I would check out this thread for some good advice. btw, there is nothing good with going to a good party school. Were #1! We're #1!

then what about the university of winnepeg, or university of wyoming, or the university of waterloo? ;)

cycocelica

macrumors 68000
Apr 28, 2005
Redmond, WA
Koodauw said:

no that would be UW-Madison. University of Washington is the real UW.:D

me_94501

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2003
devilot said:
Er. Not in my personal experience. A ton of hard drug users. A ton of wannabe gangsters getting into the greek life. :rolleyes: I didn't enjoy myself there.
Cal's...interesting. It's the only place I know of where the graffiti in the men's room is often politically/philosophically motivated.

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
me_94501 said:
Cal's...interesting. It's the only place I know of where the graffiti in the men's room is often politically/philosophically motivated.

and don't forget uc santa cruz ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.