What cologne/perfume turns you on?

Discussion in 'Community' started by The_Dood, Mar 5, 2004.

1. The_Dood macrumors member

We all know that certain smells trigger particular memories or feelings. So I'm curious about the MacRumors krew... What kind of cologne or perfume really turns you on? Or, do some of you prefer the all-natural b.o. kind of smells? ;)

My personal favorite is Ralph Lauren's Polo Sport. It reminds me of fun summers, first loves, and making out in the park at sunset :)

2. Awimoway macrumors 65816

I had a crush on my 21-year-old 8th grade English teacher. Whenever she approached my desk and hovered over it to tell me something or look over a paper of mine, I could smell something bewitching. I assumed it was just her shampoo or something equally banal. But when I was older I somehow figured out that it was actually Eternity. It's a deep, earthy fragrance. Almost like spiced apples. Needless to say, this is the perfume I buy for my wife. She hasn't complained yet.

3. howard macrumors 68020

howard

there are 2

1 is warm vanilla sugar body spray from bed bath and beyond,

my girlfriend wears it and i've developed this thing for it.

2 i don't know what it is, its a common fragrance, its not powerful but its there...i smell it passing people on the streets sometimes...pretty vague i know, but i have no idea what it is...

4. sonofslim macrumors 6502a

sonofslim

i once asked a girlfriend to stop using a particular shampoo, because a previous girlfriend had used the same one and it was too weird to have girl B smell like girl A. i've heard that smell is the sense most strongly linked to memory, and i might believe it.

5. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
  6. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

My wife uses Romance (by Ralph Lauren, I think) and that has worked well for me so far.

7. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

Back when I used to work in a 1 hour photo lab, one of the chicks who worked there always Cool Water for women. I liked the way she smelled. :D

Now, I kinda prefer something subtle, if at all. Roses are a good scent, or au naturale. ;)

8. iGav macrumors G3

what... even if she whiff's of cheese?? :eek: :p :p

I still like One, not too keen on Be though, Sun Moon Stars brings back memories too... ;) :D

9. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I thought everyone loved the scent of cheese? ;)

10. ExoticFish macrumors 6502a

ExoticFish

The inner depths of madness, aka Kent, OH
    my girlfriend wears vanillay stuff a lot so the smell of it reminds me of her.

11. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    not if its liverot cheese.

12. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

well, i've never really developed a "thing" for cologne on guys, mostly because cologne is made to smell like rubbing alcohol, with a few notable exceptions. Unfortunately, i latch onto the good ons and wear them myself. Used to be Romance by Ralph Lauren (the woman's is good too, if you're into that sort of thing), now i wear Clinique Happy. i like complex scents that are a bit lighter, basically if it reminds me of Old Spice in any way, i move on.

sadly, my partner wears Tommy's scent (whatever it is), which i really don't care for. But he's got like 3 bottles, so i can't nicely explain it. He also wears waayyyy too much, which is a common problem among men-- they don't seem to realize that just because they can't smell it on themselves, doesn't mean others cant. Gentlemen, a spray on the wrist, dab behind your ear, and you're good. Do it while naked so your clothes don't carry it (cologne is meant to mingle with the body chemistry, not cotton). A faint hint is all that there should be, enough to drive someone wild when they embrace you.

:)
    paul

13. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

For me I think I like the food sented stuff. My kryptonite is actually a cherry sented lip gloss (it's hard to function when I smell that stuff ;) ). I also have fond memories of this coco-butter lotion an ex used. There was also this oil based vanilla perfume another ex wore. I liked it, but when I told her it reminded me of Duncan Hines snack 'n cakes she stopped using it ...oops! :D

14. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    Gee you would think that making you think of eating would encourage her to wear it. :p

My wife wears vanilla and its wonderful.

An ex-girlfriend wore almond scented body lotion.

I prefer thing like that or things like orchid. The herbal essences shampoos leave women smelling wonderful.

15. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

Women ... mmm ... they smell so good. Smell is something I am immediately attracted to. I can't spend longer than 5 minutes in a place like bath and body works without getting all worked up.

For those that want to suggest a cologne to a male.... Fahrenheit. Christian Dior just has his crap together. I didn't want to buy it at first 2 yrs ago because I thought it smelled slightly like motor oil, but my g/f at the time basically made me. It was also a big departure from my usual fruity cologne preference ... this stuff is definitely more male. I have literally had to fend women off in the past two years because of it. It is pure sex. Also, when body temperatures are rising (;)) and/or it gets wet (;)), it takes on a whole new life that I couldn't even begin to exaggerate. I don't think I'll ever wear another cologne.

16. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

I don't wear cologne, but I DEFINITELY need a new deodorant. The stuff I've been using since middle school has recently started to smell awful on me for some reason.

On women, I really like fruit-scented perfumes, and anything that smells clean, like ocean spray or ozone. There's nothing like the smell of newly washed hair. My former girlfriend had the best smelling hair.

Scents are a huge deal to me. Funny how the only girl I can say I was head over heels for doesn't wear perfume and has no scent that I can discern.

17. The_Dood thread starter macrumors member

That sounds mad sexy!! I'll put another vote in for Cool Water (woman) and also for Victoria's Secret Love Spell (the purple one) and French Vanilla. Seems like a lot of people like vanilla!! :)

18. JesseJames macrumors 6502a

You know. I really hate those damn AXE commercials. Stupid AXE effect. More likely you'll be attacked by a swarm of bees than horny women.

19. howard macrumors 68020

howard

hmm everyone is mentioning cool water... who makes it?

i wonder if thats the stuff i am thinking of.. it is a kinda cool water smell...

20. Quixcube macrumors member

I have never really found a cologne that I like on a guy. Same holds true for a girl. I prefer the way they smell all on their own. I dated a book-worm once and I swear I got turned on every time I went into a book store for months. It is all about the association for me.

Now, motor oil... That does sound kinda sexy... I should date a mechanic.

(By the way, isn't it creepy the way Google is suggesting cologne links at the bottom of the page. I guess it is just scanning the page and matching. Is anything sacred?)

21. The_Dood thread starter macrumors member

It's produced by Davidoff. You can check out their website with frangrances and accessories here

22. Danger! Will macrumors regular

Danger! Will

Clinique Chemistry is hot, but Farenheit is really hot but only on certain guys since cologne seems to smell different on each person.

For women i think its called Sunflower.

23. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

When I was younger, I had a female friend who wore something that smelled like sour apples. I drove me wild. I actually had to stay away from her because she smelled so good. My wife wears something called "Colors", which is really nice smelling.

What stinks ( :D ) is when you run into somebody who is wearing a cologne or perfume that DOES NOT agree with you. I used to work with a nice lady who would wear in a perfume that smelled like rat poison. My eyes would water, my thoat would close up and I couldn't breathe. I talked to other people, and they all said she smelled really nice. Must have been an allergic reaction, or something.

24. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

but that's sooooooo cute

25. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

My first girlfriend used to wear that stuff and it drove me crazy. She'd be laying next to me and the smell.. wow... if she wore that stuff, it was on.

Needless to say, on Tuesday with everything that happened, I was pleasantly surprised that this new girl also wears an apple scent. Good god! :D