What Color Prius should I get?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by SiliconAddict, Feb 10, 2006.

1. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

Jun 19, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    I put a deposit down for a '06 Prius a couple weeks ago. Initially I selected Black but I still have time to switch it to something else. Only 7 months. :rolleyes:

Seaside Pearl

My current car is black and it looks hot when it's clean but there is the rub of it. Keeping a black car clean is a PITA esp in a Minnesota winter. What do you guys think? I kinda like the bluishness of Seaside Pearl but Black still looks slick.
  2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    >What Color Prius should I get?

Go with the monochrome model, I hear the toner is cheaper. :p
  3. SiliconAddict thread starter macrumors 603

Jun 19, 2003
    Chicago, IL

LOL. :p
  4. ITASOR macrumors 601

Mar 20, 2005
    Oneida, NY
    Well, we have a black Jeep Grand Cherokee, and it looks REALLY nice when it's clean....but when it's not, you can really see the dirt. For instance, my dad just washed it to perfection, and I just went to Staples to look at something (20 minutes away), pulled in the driveway, and now it's dirty again. :p Although, it's a Jeep, which looks good dirty...know what I mean? I think it looks tough/cool when it's dirty, but I DON'T think a Prius would look very good dirty.

I would go with the blue.

but I don't know....that black looks nice...

...great help aren't I?
  5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    Awww, you're lucky. I really wanted one of those. If I hadn't left my well-paying job to be a grad student.... :p

I personally have seen and driven and like the black. I like the titanium / gun metal sort of dark grey even better. I'm not a huge fan of that seaside tone. But you should definitely get what makes you happy.

I was toying between silver and a sunset red for my previous car (a Focus), and changed the order at the last moment (to silver). I ended up being really happy with the choice, but yeah, I can see it going both ways. :eek:
  6. tsvb macrumors 6502

Jan 28, 2006
    Syracuse, NY
    I would go with the black. Very sharp looking.
  7. SiliconAddict thread starter macrumors 603

Jun 19, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Not so much luck as my '02 Mercury cougar XR has held it value surprisingly well. With the trade in I can get on that + the 5 grand in cash I can put down I should be able to cut the thing’s price in half. Otherwise there would be NO way I'd be able to afford that car right now. I went through my sporty phase. i want something a bit more realistic. I can imagine this car lasting me quite a while. The dealer even let me take a demo model home for the weekend a couple weeks ago. Fell in love with this car the moment I sat in the seat. [​IMG]
  8. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

Aug 20, 2005
    Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
    Green......but since that aint the color there take the black.

9. iBlue macrumors Core

Mar 17, 2005
    London, England
    get the blue one.

you already have a black car (and are fully aware of what a pain in the butt it is to keep black clean, especially in minnesota) and it's just more interesting to look at i think.
  10. clayj macrumors 604

Jan 14, 2005
    visiting from downstream
    Don't get black. As you've noted, it's impossible to keep clean.

Silver would be a better choice if it's available.
  11. kretzy macrumors 604

Sep 11, 2004
    Canberra, Australia
    The blue one looks cooler. It will also not get as dirty or as hot if it's left out in the sun.
  12. rickvanr macrumors 68040

Apr 10, 2002
    I think the black one looks less ugly, but they are hard to keep clean.

Congrats on going green.
  13. quagmire macrumors 603

Apr 19, 2004
    I would 2nd going Silver.

Congrats into buying the Toyota Hype. ;) :eek:
  14. yankeefan24 macrumors 65816

Dec 24, 2005
    i think that the blue looks better than the black.
  15. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

Jul 23, 2002
    Jobs' Spare Liver Jar
    To anyone buying a hybrid I'd say get the same colour as your favourite lollipop.
  16. SamIchi macrumors 68030

Aug 1, 2004
    I'd personally go with the dark gray or red, with the dark gray interior, but that's just me. Fomr your choices I'd say the sea pearl. I've never liked all black cars. Sure they look slick, when they are new and really clean, but after that, they just look really plain.
  17. w_parietti22 macrumors 68020

Apr 16, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Black looks good clean... but not dirty. And if you can afford or dont have the time to wash your car every week, then I would go with the Seaside Pearl.
  18. mfacey macrumors 65816

Feb 1, 2004
    I'd go for black if you're an avid car-washer. Nothing looks better than a nice clean black car. Otherwise, silver is probably your best bet. I don't know how it is over there, but silver cars have a much better resale value here in Europe compared to other colors.

On a side note, I was really wondering what your motivation is behind getting a Prius. I've read a lot about it and can't say I was very impressed. First of all, its quite a bit more expensive than similar sized competitors. Then the quality isn't all that great. Furthermore, its not that economical. A small diesel from Volkswagen will get you much better mileage AND is cheaper in the first place. And finally, I've been reading reports that after something like 6-7 years the batteries might need to be replaced. That has got to cost some SERIOUS cash, considering a small powerbook battery already sets you back well over $100!
    Please don't get me wrong, I'm not flaming your purchase at all. I just want to see what moved you in the direction of the prius. :)
  19. rdowns macrumors Penryn

Jul 11, 2003
    All my new cars have been black. As I always say, nothing looks better than a clean black car and nothing worse than a dirty one (especially in winter with salt). I got a blue car last year and it looks awesome.
  20. Chundles macrumors G4

Jul 4, 2005
    Some really dirty black cars around here at the moment, it's still illegal(I think - may have changed recently) to wash them with a hose (have to use a bucket and do it on the grass) so there's not many crystal clean cars around. They get so grubby with the dust on the roads. We currently have a couple of Peugeots, one white, the other a dark metallic grey. The grey one looks wonderful, the specks in the paint cover up the dirt but the white is just so damned hard to keep clean.
  21. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    From those choices, I'd get the black one if you don't go on dirty roads a lot. Just looks a whole lot cooler than the blue.
  22. iGav macrumors G3

Mar 9, 2002
  23. evoluzione macrumors 68010

Jul 19, 2002
    down the road, that's where i'll always be

hah, coming from someone with a GM avatar :rolleyes:

friend of mine has that blue one, looks good, although i've always liked black on cars, some work well with it, some don't, the prius works well with black, so i guess that's my recommendation! enjoy it, they're very slick, what with the keyless entry etc.
  24. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

Apr 12, 2005
    Moorestown, NJ
    I personally like the black much more than the blue in terms of looks, but it really depends as others have stated how much you mind about dirt. Honestly I could care less, but different strokes for different folks as they say...:)