What color socks are allowed when and with what?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by gekko513, Oct 5, 2005.

1. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

When I grew up in the eighties I used white tennis socks, exclusively. You know those that had two stripes in different colors. Life was simple.

Then in the mid-nineties I went to university where I learned, among other things, that white socks were a serious no-no. OK, fine, so I start using black socks, exclusively. Life is still good.

I must admit that when it comes to fashion I'm kind of living under a rock, but in recent years I have noticed that there may be some unwritten rules out there that I might be breaking, and I finally got a revelation is forum very close to you, when I found that wearing black socks in sandals with shorts scored extremely high in a geek elistist rating.

Now, I don't usually wear black socks in sandals with shorts, but I do wear black socks in sandals with jeans at work. Mind you, it's too cold to not wear socks in Norway, yet I don't want to wear shoes all day, as that would make my feet sweaty. Am I committing a fashion crime here?

Also, I think I've heard something about black socks with sneakers being bad. Is that correct? What if the sneakers are black, themselves?

Do I need to start maintaining a collection of different types of socks? :eek: ;)

What about brown and grey socks with diagonal crosspatterns? Are they good for anything?

And what about those socks almost without a heel and an ancle? They look awfully silly to me, but should I bow to the pressure and get those, too? And if I do, what kind of shoes and what kind of pants can they go with?

In general, what are the fashion rules of socks? I need some help here!

2. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

To me, white socks go with anything, as white isn't really a color (Its a shade and so is black), But I tend not to wear black socks.

3. gekko513 thread starter macrumors 603

gekko513

4. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

To me, black socks go with anything, as white isn't really a color (Its a shade and so is white), But I tend not to wear white socks.

5. Hoef macrumors 6502a

Hoef

Texas is about the only place where you can wear white socks underneath your business suit since you'll be wearing boots........... ok I agree a very general statement.

6. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

hahahaha when i first saw the title of this thread i thought "my purple iPod sock is on all day, everyday ;) ". i wear white socks that hit below the ankle so you dont see them in shoes, that one of my pet peeves... :) With suits however, they have to match the suit, no doubt about it.

7. dcv macrumors G3

Noooooooo! I think white socks should only be worn to the gym with trainers (sneakers or whatever you guys call them). NEVER with a suit :eek:

8. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

i wear plain white ankle socks (socks that go just below the ankle for everyday and black stocks or other colors for wearing a suit... simple....

9. gekko513 thread starter macrumors 603

gekko513

So how about everything in between the gym and a suit, like jeans and casual?

10. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

11. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

Navy blue goes with everything ;) Well most things :p

12. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

All my socks are black – I don't own any of any other colour. As dubbz says, they go with anything and everything.

13. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

Hey hey. I'll wear black socks from time to time... ;)

But I agree, match your suit.

14. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

Absolutely 100% agreed. White socks and a suit should be a sackable offence.

Dark socks usually for me and if I'm wearing jeans and it's a nice-ish day, then no socks and just flip-flops/thongs. However, jeans and 'thongs' can be a whole other pet peeve for some :p

15. dcv macrumors G3

Dark socks then... black/navy/grey... anything but white.
    White socks here in the UK really are frowned upon - apart from at the gym.

...and don't get me started on socks with open-toe sandals...

16. gekko513 thread starter macrumors 603

gekko513

That's what I thought.
    Ah, that was what I was worried about :) Does that mean I have to use shoes inside at work all day? :(

17. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

:D

I do have white socks, but I rarely use them. Most of my socks are black (or very dark blue). Come to think of it, most of my clothes are black, or dark :eek:

Why not? Sometimes it gets cold :D

18. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

Here's what you need to know: The sock should provide a transition from the pant leg to the shoe.

It should be kind of like a stepped gradient in that the sock darkness should be between the color of the pant and the color of the shoe and it should be of the same color hue. So, if you've got light brown pants and intend on wearing dark brown shoes, the socks should also be a brown that's at least as dark as the pants and no darker than the shoe.

Never, ever, ever wear socks with sandals...unless perhaps you are coming from, or going to, a sporting event in which you are participating which utilitizes shoes you would not wear off of the playing field- soccer or football cleats, for example.

When I wear shorts, I always wear sneakers (even if it's a polo-type shirt), and I believe that white socks are always acceptable in that situation.

Anything else? :)

19. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

i hate when people wear socks with the birkenstocks, its just wrong...

20. dcv macrumors G3

dietcokevanilla, Fashion Consultant to MacRumors says:

"socks with sandals are NOT a good look. anywhere. no matter how cold."

:cool:

21. gekko513 thread starter macrumors 603

gekko513

Now I'm depressed :( My sandal days are gone.

Second question ... should I break this to my colleague? He's also wearing sandals with socks.

22. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

Here is a very funny article and comment page on the matter of white socks, published on the BBC website of all places!

Full BBC discussion!!

23. dcv macrumors G3

Hehe, that's just my opinion (and the rest of the UK's). I have noticed it seems to be an acceptable trend in the rest of Europe though.

24. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

According to the Fonz, the ONLY acceptable color for socks is white. Any other color makes you a square or a nerd.

25. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

YES! That is hideous to see. I'm sorry, I cringe and then I giggle, and then I snort, and then I cringe again before bursting into tears. Socks + open-toed sandals = NEVER!

Black socks w/ suits. White socks w/ athletic wear.