Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Montserrat

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 10, 2004
UK
I know the Core 2 Duo MacBook Pros have only been released (and very impressive they look too), but I was waiting on a few things (namely, Leopard, iLife 07 and possibly BluRay drives) before I replaced the old 12" PowerBook. Does anyone know if intel have got a further mobile chip revision up their sleeves in the next 6 months that I can add to my wish list?

Chimera

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2004
Surrey, England
A processor by the codename Penryn for laptops (plus iMac and Mac mini)

http://guides.macrumors.com/Penryn

However there is also a chipset upgrade called Santa Rosa out by May next year.

"In Q2 2007 Intel plans to ship "Santa Rosa". [4] This will be the pairing of updated variants of Merom with a new chipset. The updated Merom is housed in the new socket P. The new chipset will sport an 800 MHz Front Side Bus, 802.11n wireless, Robson flash technology. The variants with integrated graphics feature the updated GMA X3000. [5]"

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
I know the Core 2 Duo MacBook Pros have only been released (and very impressive they look too), but I was waiting on a few things (namely, Leopard, iLife 07 and possibly BluRay drives) before I replaced the old 12" PowerBook. Does anyone know if intel have got a further mobile chip revision up their sleeves in the next 6 months that I can add to my wish list?

Santa Rosa chipset (Core 2 Duo + faster FSB + more features) early next year.

Penryn (45mn shrink of current Merom architecture) sometime next year.

That's for the mobile Core 2 Duo, the desktop stuff has some quad-core goodness coming, firstly as two dual-core chips smashed together then a "true" quad-core chip.

Montserrat

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 10, 2004
UK
That was impressively quick from you both... Now which is it worth waiting for (Santa Rosa or should I really wait for Penryn (which sounds like a North Wales mining town))?!

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
That was impressively quick from you both... Now which is it worth waiting for?!

Don't really know. Santa Rosa will bring out the best in Merom but Penryn should bring further drops in operating temperature and power consumption - might be faster too.

Chimera

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2004
Surrey, England
That was impressively quick from you both... Now which is it worth waiting for?!

I decided on neither since i'm waiting on a C2D MBP to be delivered to me, however it is all personal preference.

If you can wait for Santa Rosa you'll also get iLife 07 and Leopard preinstalled, but if you are asking about what to wait for now do you really want to wait for a year for Penryn to come out?

Zedsdead185

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2006
UK
I'm guessing this means there will also be newer processors and stuff for the imacs early next year? or is it just the laptops rumoured at the mo?

Montserrat

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 10, 2004
UK
If you can wait for Santa Rosa you'll also get iLife 07 and Leopard preinstalled, but if you are asking about what to wait for now do you really want to wait for a year for Penryn to come out?

I think this is the key. My 867MHz G4 PowerBook looks a little pedestrian next to these Core 2 Duo chips, so I imagine I'm not going to be able to hold back a whole year. Might try to make it through to Santa Rosa.

skunk said:
Are there no Welshmen at Intel? It's Penrhyn, for god's sake.

I know - there are really no excuses for that. Unless they've been in Cornwall on their holidays.

Does anyone here think we'll see a case redesign before Penrhyn, which Chundles points out is cooler and therefore allowing Apple to make laptops even thinner. Also any educated guesses on when we'll see mobile BluRay drives?

Silentwave

macrumors 68000
May 26, 2006
Penryn won't be out until 2008, people.
And i'm willing to bet LATE 2008 based on intel's releases (January 2006 Napa, April 2007 Santa Rosa)

It will use the new Montevina Centrino platform with the Cantiga chipset.

Jiddick ExRex

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2006
Roskilde, DK
Btw it's not even certain that new macs will feature Santa Rosa at all since they have not using been using any Centrino platform up till now. So don't get ya hopes up laddies!

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Penryn won't be out until 2008, people.
And i'm willing to bet LATE 2008 based on intel's releases (January 2006 Napa, April 2007 Santa Rosa)

Those are chipsets, not processors. Napa was used for both Yonah and Merom.

Penryn should be out sometime late next year, with a speed boost in 2008 and the new Nehalem architecture in 2009.

e12a

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2006
Don't really know. Santa Rosa will bring out the best in Merom but Penryn should bring further drops in operating temperature and power consumption - might be faster too.

if you need it now, dont hesitate on buying one..after all you have 64 bit computing that will help in the future. If you can wait, there will always be better model coming out.

PygmySurfer

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2006
Wellesley, ON
Btw it's not even certain that new macs will feature Santa Rosa at all since they have not using been using any Centrino platform up till now. So don't get ya hopes up laddies!

Just because Apple doesn't put ugly Centrino stickers on their laptops doesn't mean they're based upon a Centrino platform.

Centrino is just a marketing term, for an Intel CPU+Chipset+wireless solution.

ianhhh

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2006
hd - 3 questions..

do u think hd drives in appl laptops r stil 12 mths away?

wud th current chipset suport a hd drive?

my las gen pbk cant play hd avi files.. can th 1st or 2nd gen mbp play them?

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005

I don't understand what you're asking. Could you use full words please?

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Ez axing sumting bout Harddrives. Aight?

"Excuse me, I speak jive."

:D

I really don't get this posting three-letter abbreviations of words like you were a 14 year old girl sending a text message. Surely you'd get the required information faster if the people reading your post don't have to consult the Rosetta Stone to decipher the text?? :confused:

andrewfee

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2004

The 1.83GHz MacBook has no problem playing 1080p H.264, MPEG4 or 720p WMV HD videos. (not tried 1080p WMV HD)

A HD-DVD or BluRay drive is probably some time away still - I hear they really eat up a lot of battery life, and I'm guessing there aren't any drives thin enough to go into the MacBook Pros yet.

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
"Excuse me, I speak jive."

:D

I really don't get this posting three-letter abbreviations of words like you were a 14 year old girl sending a text message. Surely you'd get the required information faster if the people reading your post don't have to consult the Rosetta Stone to decipher the text?? :confused:

I know I hate it too. Maybe his keyboard is broken? :D

ianhhh

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2006
cheers mrr andyfee..least can play hd so in future cud run off external hd driv

chundles, its jus shorthd, deal wiv it

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
cheers mrr andyfee..least can play hd so in future cud run off external hd driv

chundles, its jus shorthd, deal wiv it

Nope, I'm just not going to answer any of your questions. It's not shorthand, it's just plain lazy disrespect for the forum members.

Deal with that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.