What comes with a Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bob marley, Feb 26, 2007.

1. bob marley macrumors newbie

What software comes with a mac?

Like is there a low end photoshop, or a built in low end movie editor?

I'd really like to make my own photos and make funny photos by editing them around by using that iSight camera but i dont wanna spend monkey on it

2. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

You get iLife on every mac, which has iPhoto, iMovie, iDVD, iWeb and Garage band. You also get an iWork and MS Office trial.

The built in iSight has it's own software called Photo Booth, which has lots of effects to make fun pictures.

3. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

See the "Tech Specs" page for your desired model over at apple.com to see exactly what software comes the machine.

But all Macs come with iLife, which include iMovie and iDVD, two good movie editing/burning apps. The suite also includes iWeb for websites, iPhoto for photo organization, GarageBand for making music, and of course iTunes. Machines also generally come with test drive versions of Office and iWork.

As for Photoshop-like apps, you'll probably want to look at a free third-party app like GIMP (or Seashore, which is based on GIMP).

4. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Monkey? That just sounds hilarious! :D

5. superleccy macrumors 6502a

superleccy

Depending on how demanding your requirements are, you may well find that iPhoto does 90% of everything you need. If you need it you can get "Low End Photoshop" for the Mac in the form of Adobe Photoshop Elements 4.0. Around £60 in the UK. Personally I prefer to use a combination of iPhoto, DoubleTake (for landscapes & stitching) and GIMP. GIMP is quite powerful, but it's an X11 application so doesn't look as pretty or feel as nice as your usual OS X application.

iMovie, whilst not in the "pro" class, is surprisingly powerful - yet beautifully simple.

HTH
    SL