Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bob marley

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 26, 2007
What software comes with a mac?

Like is there a low end photoshop, or a built in low end movie editor?

I'd really like to make my own photos and make funny photos by editing them around by using that iSight camera but i dont wanna spend monkey on it

SpookTheHamster

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2004
London
You get iLife on every mac, which has iPhoto, iMovie, iDVD, iWeb and Garage band. You also get an iWork and MS Office trial.

The built in iSight has it's own software called Photo Booth, which has lots of effects to make fun pictures.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
See the "Tech Specs" page for your desired model over at apple.com to see exactly what software comes the machine.

But all Macs come with iLife, which include iMovie and iDVD, two good movie editing/burning apps. The suite also includes iWeb for websites, iPhoto for photo organization, GarageBand for making music, and of course iTunes. Machines also generally come with test drive versions of Office and iWork.

As for Photoshop-like apps, you'll probably want to look at a free third-party app like GIMP (or Seashore, which is based on GIMP).

superleccy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2004
That there big London
Like is there a low end photoshop, or a built in low end movie editor?

Depending on how demanding your requirements are, you may well find that iPhoto does 90% of everything you need. If you need it you can get "Low End Photoshop" for the Mac in the form of Adobe Photoshop Elements 4.0. Around £60 in the UK. Personally I prefer to use a combination of iPhoto, DoubleTake (for landscapes & stitching) and GIMP. GIMP is quite powerful, but it's an X11 application so doesn't look as pretty or feel as nice as your usual OS X application.

iMovie, whilst not in the "pro" class, is surprisingly powerful - yet beautifully simple.

HTH
SL

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.