What Compensation to Expect for ‘Late’ Delivery from Apple?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by mpw, Dec 25, 2004.

1. mpw Guest

Jun 18, 2004
    A colleague ordered an iPod from Applestore UK for his son's Christmas present on the 16th December at the time the AppleStore site was saying iPods for delivery by Christmas should be ordered by 7th-8th December. The site went on to say normal despatch would be 3-5days. Now most of us know that'll normally mean despatched in 5days and allow another 7-10days for delivery. On top of that he had it engraved with his son's name which is quoted as adding another 5days.

Suprise, suprise as I told him the iPod didn't get to him by Christmas Eve so he phoned Apple to complain. They've said that they'll give him compensation! I waited over six weeks for my iMac and they never offered me a bloody thing.

Are iPod customers more important in Apple's grand scheme of halo effect marketing? (this guy's never gonna get an Apple and won't be using iTMS)

What do Apple normally offer as compensation? I'm guessing it'll be either iTMS gift vouchers or iPod socks.
  2. hcuar macrumors 65816

Jul 23, 2004
  3. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

Jun 26, 2004
    I live in a giant bucket!
    Did you call like he did. If you call Apple and ask nicely they are more then generous and fair. Even if the person who fudged up is the customer himself.
  4. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    I hate people who whine like idiots, but the people who complain get their way in many situations, especially if they/Apple doesn't need to give up much to make a customer happy. I don't know what the compensation will be, but it won't be for much. Could it be for several downloads from iTMS or something, because that might mean a new customer for Apple. ;)
  5. Floop macrumors regular

Jan 14, 2003
    I've written emails and polite letters to Apple when systems that I have ordered have been delayed months past their due delivery dates, and I have never receieved so much as a reply.

I have also called Apple about the delays on numerous occasions and they have never been able to offer me anything but the option of cancelling my order for a full refund.

I am therefore slightly irked to hear that Apple would offer compensation to someone who ordered an iPod on the 16h December and expected delivery by the 25th, when their website clearly stated that pre-Christmas delivery could not be guaranteed unless orders were placed by the 8th.

However, I am a bit suspicious about your colleague's claim that he will get compensation... surely if Apple were going to offer him something, they'd offer him something there and then, rather than go away and think about it.

I wonder if he isn't trying to save face and project an image that he was successful in his complaint, by being vague about the compensation that Apple are supposedly offering him.
  6. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

Feb 10, 2004
    Slightly off topic, but my new hobby is to email the customer support people for every store/restaraunt/establishment that I go to and also for every product that I buy with a very polite email telling them what they have done right and what needed improvement.

It takes me about 90 seconds for each place, and I always include my mailing address. More often than not I get some form letter in the mail, with some specific reply to something in my email pasted in, and also a little stack of coupons and 'special' offers. A lot of them are really good.

I don't usually COMPLAIN to them, unless there was something really wrong with whatever I am writing about, but even so a lot of companies send out these bonuses to any consumer who takes the time to correspond with them. I guess they figure I am a more likely brand-loyal consumer?

Anyways, the comment Ask and Ye Shall Recieve reminded me of this. :)

7. homerjward macrumors 68030

May 11, 2004
    fig tree
    a bit off topic, but this must mean iPods are really behind. i ordered a bto emac on the 20th and it shipped on the 22nd and arrived on the 23rd with standard shipping. i wonder how many ipods they sold this holiday season vs. how many they made?
  8. Floop macrumors regular

Jan 14, 2003
    I think it was touch and go... in the week before Christmas, the only place in the whole country that I could find that had stock of all 5 iPod minis was... The Apple Store in Regent Street. Amazing coincidence I'm sure, and nothing to do with preferential stock allocation :cool:
  9. EJBasile macrumors 65816

Apr 20, 2004
    I bought an iPod and it broke and got a new one and it broke and i got a third one and i was unhappy with its backlight quality. Apple sent me $150 Altec Lansing InMotion speakers :)

I love them. (speakers)
  10. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    There were very long delays with the Power Mac G5 2.5 this Fall. Many received multiple reschedule of the estimated date of delivery. Most of those that called to complain and were polite got $200 off.
  11. mpw thread starter Guest

Jun 18, 2004
    I too am irked(great word, not used enough) and that's the point of my original post. OK so a couple of free iTMS tracks isn't going to break the bank but if they do this enough it's all money they could be spending on R&D or cutting prices or just getting the stuff I order to me quicker.

I'd be suspicious too if I a) didn't know the guy and b) hadn't heard the conversation he had, or at least his side of it. I told him the day he ordered it wasn't going to get here for Christmas and have a bet he'll not see it before the 8th of January.
  12. mpw thread starter Guest

Jun 18, 2004
    As ever the US delivery system is far quicker than the European one. I don't know if it's because they seem to visit ever country in northern Europe before landing in the UK (and then it's a couple of days extra as I'm not on the mainland).

I'm guessing your eMac was shipped from stock from within the US. Like cars they estimate what options alot of people are going to want and stock the popular combo's of BTO machines.
  13. Floop macrumors regular

Jan 14, 2003
    I agree!

And I remain slightly suspicious, because I don't know you or your friend, but don't take this personally!

So what compensation did your friend actually receive - I'd be very interested to hear precisely what he is getting.

If it's 10 free iTunes tracks, fair enough... but if your friend is getting compensation, I hope you will be able to nail down what precisely Apple are giving him to make up for them not being able to meet a delivery deadline which they always clearly said they wouldn't be able to make.
  14. mpw thread starter Guest

Jun 18, 2004
    I finished work on Christmas Eve and don't go back until 4th January so I'll let you know then.
    The person he spoke to said to ring back once the iPod arrived so hopefully this won't be until the 8th, because I'm set to win myself 10 iTMS tracks from him!
  15. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
  16. mpw thread starter Guest

Jun 18, 2004
    Well we've been back at work a week and the iPod's still not been delivered. According to the tracking website it left London Heathrow and arrived in Jersey but it's now lost. My colleauge has been told a new iPod will be despatched as a priority and that it'll be here within 7days lazer etched and all. Once arrived they'll consider compensation.
    Oh well at least I've won my iTMS tracks :)
    Will post again when(if) the iPod shows up.
  17. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Dec 25, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    Sorry to hear about the further delay. But this delay is the one that may deserve compensation, not the original delay.

I am thinking that 10 to 20 songs from iTunes might be in order.
  18. mpw thread starter Guest

Jun 18, 2004
    Final Score!!!

So the 20Gig iPod finally was delivered yesterday (18th Jan.) which by my reckoning is around 10 days later than I would've predicted, obviously they would've beaten my prediction if TNT hadn't lost the 1st one.(apparently TNT have had loads of the UK iPods stolen over Christmas this went at Heathrow airport)

So my colleague has paid £186 for the iPod and now Apple have given him £70 as compensation for the late delivery, £70!! They've even said he can have the cash or credit.

I hope TNT delay my stuff next time.
  19. 748s macrumors 6502a

Dec 14, 2001
    Tiger Bay
    i'm struggling with that. 40% reduction. thats BS. he's having a lend of you.
    if you can post a copy of anything in writing i might believe it (might!).
  20. mpw thread starter Guest

Jun 18, 2004
    I really don't think he is. There's no reason for him to and he's just not that way inclined. If he is his taking it to extreme lenghts for some odd reason 'cause he's not aware I actually care that much other than my original bet that he wouldn't get it until the 8th. I've seen the tracking info. for both on his screen and I answered his phone from the Apple Store and listened to his half of the conversation. He then phoned his son and told him (it's a gift for his son) before I talked about it with him.

I wouldn't have been so believeing if I'd read it on the forum either but there you go. Situation was left that Apple have given him a claim reference and email address for him to say whether he/his son wants cash or iPod accessories. I guess Apple are happy to dish out compensation if it's being paid for by TNT.
  21. Floop macrumors regular

Jan 14, 2003
    Yeah, you know what, I find that highly unbelievable. I'm not calling you a liar at all, but I find it highly unbelievable that your friend is not leading you on here.

Why would someone do this? To save loss of face, to prove an ability to be the underdog and win, I can think of lots of reasons.

All I know is that I have complained time and again to Apple over late deliveries of iPods, iMacs, PowerBooks and PowerMacs. I have complained with justification (unlike your friend, who complained that his product wasn't delivered in time for Christmas when Apple always said it wouldn't be). I have complained by letter, by email and by telephone. I have never got anything more than an apology, and the option to cancel my order for a full refund.

I cannot therefore believe that your friend has somehow managed to get Apple to give him an arbitrary amount of compensation which amounts to a 40% reduction in the price of an item, effectively meaning Apple have made a loss for selling this product to him, when they would be entirely justified in saying to him that "You ordered this product at a time when we clearly said it would not be delivered in time for Christmas, so while we are sorry for your disappointment, we feel we did make the information available to you and you chose to ignore it so the fact that it arrived after Christmas is really not our fault."

If your friend can provide any corroborative evidence I would be impressed.

22. mpw thread starter Guest

Jun 18, 2004
    Like I said before I'd not believe it either if I'd read it like you but I do intend to get a copy of the email/invoice/tracking page once he's decided on what he's having. I think he's gonna get a carry case and accessories so I assume it'll show on tracking pages with a nil value?

I think the difference between him and you is that TNT lost it and have held their hands up to it and admitted that they lost alot through the distribution chain in the UK. I'm guessing that all those customers have moaned to Apple (rightly or wrongly) and Apple are making TNT pay up to save Apple's face. It won't cost Apple a penny + they get to move some inventory.
  23. mpw thread starter Guest

Jun 18, 2004
    Be impressed.

iSplitter RRP£9.95, Belkin battery RRP£44.95, Case RRP£19.95 Total RRP £74.86.
    I said he should've taken the cash then bought these items seperately and pocketed the £11.15 saving on VAT but some people never listen.
  24. Floop macrumors regular

Jan 14, 2003
    I am duly impressed, and also a little shocked that Apple have done this when they weren't even vaguely at fault here.

Of course I was also slightly suspicious and considered the possibility that the invoice had been photoshopped (!) but I can't see anything so I defer to you on this and apologise for doubting.

Did Apple actually offer him the equivalent amount in cash? I would find that hard to swallow too, as it's a lot easier for Apple to write off some older stock than to refund £70 when they are not obliged to...

25. mpw thread starter Guest

Jun 18, 2004
    Yeah they did but the iPod was a gift for his son so he let his son choose and he wanted the above. Go figure!