What computer burned the DVD?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by DesertFox, Sep 13, 2005.

1. DesertFox macrumors member

Hello,

Im wondering if there is a way to tell if a DVD/CD was burned by x, y, or z computer. Are there files hidden away on the DVD/CD which stores this info? If there is how would I do this with a Mac?

Thanks in advance,

DesertFox

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

3. SummerBreeze macrumors 6502a

SummerBreeze

I'm pretty sure you can't do that, but you could look at the metadata for some of the files. I know that my Mac can figure out what digital camera took a picture, maybe it can tell which program version created the file. It's a long shot, but if you NEED to figure it out, open the cd, put it in column view and see if the metadata tells you anything.

4. gMac macrumors member

I have no idea how to do what your what you are asking, but I'm pretty sure it can be done. I think that is how they tracked that BTK turd down. They traced a floppy disk (looser!) he sent into the newspaper back to his church's computer.

5. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

That's likely due to other files on the disk - either left on or recovered. Generally, CDs/DVDs won't have this info.

6. gMac macrumors member

I thought it was some kind of digital fingerprint on the floppy itself that led back to the church, but upon further investigation, it looks like you're right:

linkety

7. rhodest macrumors regular

Our local news (Wichita) said that it was the floppy that lead back to the church.