What connector to use to utilize iPod as a storage drive?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Castel, Jun 2, 2008.

1. macrumors newbie

Feb 22, 2008
    Hello all,

I have an 80 GB iPod Classic which has been enabled as a hard drive. I want to take it on a trip to use as a storage drive by connecting a MicroMate USB 2.0 reader (I am getting a 4GB SanDisk SDHC card & a Panasonic TZ5 camera). I want to be able to download photos and movies from the camera to the iPod and then erase the card when needed. I contacted the Apple Store and Apple Care people and they were absolutely no help. They said no one had ever asked about using the iPod as a storage device and had no idea how to do it. I spoke to 5 different people and finally one supervisor said that Apple does not support the use of the iPod as a storage device. This despite the fact they advertise that as a use of the iPod. Can I use an Apple iPod Camera Connector or do I need something different? According to Apple's web site the Connector is compatible with 5G and Photo iPods. It has a dock connector and a USB.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks...
  2. Moderator emeritus

Jul 24, 2002
    You cannot connect a card reader. When Apple say that it can be used as storage they mean as a USB hard drive: you need a computer between them as both the card reader and the iPod as slave devices: you need a master.

The camera connector is reported as not working with an iPod Classic.
  3. thread starter macrumors newbie

Feb 22, 2008
  4. macrumors 68040

Dec 27, 2003
    Portland, OR

The camera connector doesn't work with the classic? LAME! I love using it with my 5g iPod. Very handy.
  5. thread starter macrumors newbie

Feb 22, 2008
    Exactly! I use it all the time on trips. It allows me to leave my laptop at home. I was hoping to upgrade my iPod but now I think I will stick with the 5G...
  6. macrumors member

Jun 7, 2008
    device to device without a pc controller only works with firewire.
    usb is dumb as a brick.