What cool games run on an iBook 700?

Discussion in 'Games' started by MarkCollette, Apr 8, 2005.

1. MarkCollette macrumors 68000

MarkCollette

What cool games run on an iBook G3 700 with 32MB of VRAM?

I saw that Medal of Honor's minimum specs show it should run, but I don't know what other games.

2. point665 macrumors regular

Pong.

Na seriously, Quake 3. I ran Halo fine on my iBook G3 800 with 640 ram back in early 10.3, since then it has become slower. No one believed how good it ran on there, I played the whole single player campaign without a problem.

3. Balin64 macrumors 6502a

Balin64

Ottomatic

I played that game, and don't laugh! It was cool saving the peeps and blasting ferocious veggies.

I also tried Return to Castle Wolfenstein and it ran all right.

4. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

Old but cool:
    Myth 2 soulblighter
    Myst 3
    Starcraft & broodwar
    Diablo
    maybe Dungeon siege
    Black& white + Creature Isle Epansion
    Quake 3 and Quake 3 arena

Can't remember anything else right now.

Quake runs fine, I have tested it into an iMac DV 400 MHz with rage pro (8 mbytes VRAM!!) inside and 384 mbytes RAM. Black & white also ran on this machine.

Myth 2, although it is very old, it is still a kick-ass game.

Also, I can figure by your system specs that you are a casual gamer. So I will take the time to suggest a number of good games (that happen to be free) that I think you will enjoy.

http://www.doomsdayhq.com/. Home of jDoom, a new doom port that adds particle effects, detail textures and 3d models into the doom series that make doom a whole new game... (You need a doom data file for that though. I can't tell where you can find it). There is also an OS X beta inside that works well for me into all my machines (look at my specs)

www.gltron.org A very good freeware game. Will work like a charm into your machine

source.bungie.orgAleph one for the Marathon series. You may think I am joking, but try to download aleph one, download all marathon games (since they are free to download from bungie) and some texture and sound enhancements, and you can be sure that these will keep you busy for a long time.

Also, you can try Marathon Rubicon www.marathonrubicon.com

I hope I helped enough!

5. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Starcraft is a great game. I'll rush you with zerglings! Heheheheheehehehhe... :rolleyes:

6. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

Quake 3, Diablo, Diablo II (w/ Lord of Destruction), StarCraft (w/ Brood War), WarCraft II, and WarCraft III (w/ The Frozen Throne) should all work flawlessly.

Basically any game from the mid- to late-90s should work pretty well.

7. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

Age of Empires II should run smoothly, that game requires a 233 Mhz CPU and OS 8.6 :p But it's still a classic and I used to play that game for hours and hours straight. Age of Mythology should run pretty well with the settings turned down. It ran fine on a 800 MHz G3. And yes, Medal of Honor will run on your machine. That game is great.

8. stutz macrumors member

I 2nd the Age of Empires II (gold edition). I have a 667 G4 Powerbook and these games ran well on my system with a 32 mb of video.

Medal of Honor series
    Rise of Nations
    Deus Ex (if you can boot up into OS 9)
    Jedi Outcast II
    Return to Castle Wolfenstein
    Max Payne
    Civilization III
    Giants Citizen Kabuto
    Tropico Mucho Macho ed.

You probably can get away with Call of Duty too. Anything with the Quake 3 engine will run well under spec if you are willing to lower the graphics settings a bit.

Stutz

9. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

You guys seem to forget about good old Unreal Tournament! It runs in OS 9 onoy though...

10. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Zerglings? Why do this? Its so lame! Not interesting round at all, when you win in 5 minutes...

11. MarkCollette thread starter macrumors 68000

MarkCollette

Thanks a lot guys, for all the suggestions. I think WarCraft III will be first on my list :)

It's kind of frustrating that I have some of those games already on my old PC, but they did not sell combo PC+Mac disks...

12. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

A lot of the games that are on both platforms, in my experience, use the same CD keys.

I download UT2004 for OS X and used my UT2004 for Windows key -- worked just fine. The same was true for Quake 3, StarCraft, and Diablo II. Now I'm curious as to whether this holds true with Doom 3. Hrm.

This is liable to open a debate on the legality or ethical weight of downloading a game and recycling the key, but whatever. It's something to keep in mind. No sense in buying the game twice.

13. whocares macrumors 65816

whocares

If you're an id Software fan, I recommend:

Doom
    Domm II
    Quake
    Quake II
    Quake III
    Return to Castle Wolfenstein

(these all work in OS X, no need for classic)

Of course, you have to like FPS :D

14. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

15. hogman macrumors member

hogman

one of the best games i have ever play is AGE...OF...EMPIRES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! a clasic game of war team on team. another game if u like online multy players is RUNE SCAPE!!!!!!!! on this game you can do almost anything. you can fight monsters. you can mine stuf and smith stuf. and even cook food! its one of the best games u will ever play! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

16. ScottDodson macrumors 6502

ScottDodson

Blizzard does, and if you bought WCIII already...there ya go ;)