Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ColdShadow

Cancelled
Sep 25, 2013
Speak for yourself... it's my main computer. I use it for photo editing, video editing, sketching/illustrating, homework, writing, reading, and everything in-between. I have a desktop but my iPad Pro has been my main computer since it first came out 9 months ago. I sold my MacBook as the iPP was/is the machine I had been wanting/needing. And if Apple can further add more featrures... that's just icing, but as it stands, it's a stellar PC/Mac replacement for me. :)

Kal.
Well good for you,for me and many people it just doesn't cut it.
just because you are happy with un-deniable limitations of iOS doesn't prove you are right and I'm wrong.
so that "speak for yourself" part applies to you too,if you are intelligent enough anyway.;)

Pinepen

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2016
I know it's probably logistically impossible but it would be really cool if the iPad Pro had a special keyboard dock (a thicker one with Solid components inside) that would give it the option of running desktop OS when docked in... Now that really would be the perfect device for me.

Reactions: sracer and rowspaxe

aces99

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2014
Canada
- File management system
- True multitasking
- Widgets
- Mouse support
- USB port
- Micro SD
- Full OS
- Better apps

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
It seems to me that if a person really thought that a tablet-based OSX computer would be the perfect solution to all of their computing needs, they would have bought one.
Some people need a canvas functionality and laptop functionality and pro apps.

My guess is (I have never used a ModBook) that the ModBook suffers from many of the same issues that the Surface Pro does -- the apps and UI just aren't designed for a purely touch-based experience. They are compromises that offer two different experiences that aren't as optimal as a dedicated tablet or laptop.
You are talking about a hybrid solution. The hybrid paradigm recognizes that some tasks are more easily done with a pointing device than touch.

What I want is *control* over my files. I want to be able to back them up, combine them, compress/expand them, organize them, delete them, import them into other apps, etc...
So, you want all the functionality of a finder, but you don't want a finder. got it

I was not as facile with a mouse when I first started using one.
lol
[doublepost=1472109027][/doublepost]
Anyone who has used a Surface for any length of time probably loves it as an ultra book ;)
This meme persists at MR without any evidence and many surface users posting to the contrary.

sdz

macrumors 65816
May 28, 2014
Europe/Germany
- Better Notification System for long running background tasks, for instance: Downloadstatus, KBytes/s, Duration...
- Move of files between files instead of duplication
- "open in" should read from App Sandbox instead of first copying to new App Sandbox and executing from there
- Less restrictive App Store (allow torrent applications for example)
- Screensharing API (Attending Skype Business Meetings and be able to share screen)
- "Drive" App, centralized access to all stored files aka "Finder"
- "Windowed" apps, 2 Numbers Spreadsheets side by side for example
- Shell Access for "Pro" users. (Terminal App)
- Backup iPad via Time Machine (without iTunes)
- Better Office Suite (iWork is too limited and needs rehaul to match featureset of OS X version)
- Keyboard needs more shourtcuts throught system.
- Background Tasks should not be terminated / Halted if external power supply is attached, on battery it should offer more time to complete tasks. For instance 15min.
- Own App Handler registration: Open new Mail in 3rd Party app instead of standard. Open in different Browser app for example.
- Mail.app needs complete own Design and Features for iPad !

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
my note 10.1 (already 2012) was able to do that plus it was a full phone version too. (was my primary phone for couple of years, used it with a smartwatch.)

at the moment "pro" is just a synonym for a "pen"

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014
Except for the Full OS and Better Apps items...

I don't think Apple will ever put a full os so on something intended to be a mobile device......wishful thinking....chrome os may be the best option for a fully functional tablet with a full os in the near future......Microsoft sucks as a tablet

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
It needs to come with full OS support to run real pro level programs, keyboard and mouse. Wait, we already having one like this, its called MBP :D
Except that does't have pen and tablet functionality. Why do "get a laptop" posters ignore this?
[doublepost=1472137027][/doublepost]
Not sure what you find funny about someone not being facile with a mouse when they first started using one.Could you explain?
Could you explain how someone could need time to master "mouse skills"? I can't.
[doublepost=1472137341][/doublepost]
......Microsoft sucks as a tablet
Why? I use ipads and Surface. They seem similar to me, what am I missing

Last edited:

bensisko

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
The Village
Except that does't have pen and tablet functionality. Why do "get a laptop" posters ignore this?
Fine, then Modbook.

Could you explain how someone could need time to master "mouse skills"? I can't.
Depends on when they learned it. If it was back when the mouse was first introduce, I can see that (especially if you learned on command line systems).

Why? I use ipads and Surface. They seem similar to me, what am I missing
POV of the user. I also use both the Sufrace and iPads and they are WORLDS apart. I agree that Windows 10 sucks as a tablet OS.
[doublepost=1472138411][/doublepost]
Photoshop is the poster child for legacy x86 program UI, workflow, and resource use. It would literally have to be rewritten from the ground up to be a successful touch-based tablet app.

TOTALLY agree!!!!

I love Photoshop, but the UI is terrible - especially trying to use it on a Surface Pro - it's just disgusting!
[doublepost=1472138586][/doublepost]
I don't think Apple will ever put a full os so on something intended to be a mobile device......wishful thinking....chrome os may be the best option for a fully functional tablet with a full os in the near future......Microsoft sucks as a tablet

Agreed Apple won't make an OS X tablet, but neither Android or Chrome are "full OSes" in the sense that iOS isn't a "full OS".

Reactions: M. Gustave

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Photoshop is the poster child for legacy x86 program UI, workflow, and resource use. It would literally have to be rewritten from the ground up to be a successful touch-based tablet app.

And it should be made more touch friendly. Either that, or a new program that is touch based should be updated to have the feature and be just as good as full photoshop.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008

I admit it took me a while to get comfortable with a mouse. I kept running out of space to roll the mouse on my desktop, would have to pick it up and reposition it to roll it again, I could never quite stop it where I wanted, overshooting my target or not quite reaching it. I'd try to click but my hand would jerk as I clicked, thus moving the cursor away from what I was trying to click, and I never did get the hang of dragging with a mouse.

It was only when I discovered trackballs that I made peace with GUIs.

Using a mouse isn't intuitive or easy for everyone. The same goes for touch screens too. I've seen older people have trouble with distinguishing between short tap and long press, for example.

Last edited:

aces99

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2014
Canada
Galaxy note 12.2 from 2013 is what you want then.....
Except for that fact that the Galaxy note is not an IPad and has nothing to do with the original question, which is what can Apple add to the iPad to make it truly a pro. Not sure what that has to do with this thread. Plus the fact I only want a 9.7"ish screen not a 12.2". But thanks anyhow.

geta

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2010
The Moon

I will take keyboard and mouse over pen and "tablet functionality" (aka touch screen) any day of the week for real intensive work. Also for casual web surfing and media consumption i prefer using my MBP, although if im having iPads around i dont mind using it for that purpose.

You can do many things with iPads, and for some people it can replace computers in some degree, but for the time being, they are more for casual usage and media consumption then a pro level work.

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
I will take keyboard and mouse over pen and "tablet functionality" (aka touch screen) any day of the week for real intensive work.
Guessing you are not doing graphics work. This is the whole point behind a hybrid approach, imo

You can do many things with iPads, and for some people it can replace computers in some degree, but for the time being, they are more for casual usage and media consumption then a pro level work.

Yes, this is why people are advocating for surface like hybrid with macOs or greatly enhanced ios.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.