Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dane D.

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 16, 2004
ohio
I am in the process of upgrading a G3/400 B/W, from 10.2.8 to 10.4.6. Experiencing a couple of issues with this process. Before I started, I installed new Crucial RAM (2) 256 in first two slots and moved the 128MB chips that were there into the last two slots. Under system profiler, it says I only have 128MB in each slot. Strange, I checked Firmware and it said it was up to date. The second issue is the remaining time when installing system seems long, 2hrs. I just did this same thing to five others that were running 10.2.8 and they said time remaining of about 40 mins. Again strange, any thoughts.:confused:

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Not bad RAM, the Motorola Chipset cannot understand the higher density RAM these days.

It isn't up to the task, the RAM should be fine -- but only register as RAM half as big.

--- aka, it is a chipset issue not a RAM quality issue.

As far as taking awhile to install the OS, remember the machine is running likely at ATA-33 speeds with a slow obsolete and choked chipset.

Dane D.

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 16, 2004
ohio
I just did a erase and install and the whole process went back about 45 mins. This G3/400 is a sales rep's computer who needs email, internet and contact management, he was using 9.2.2. I installed another HD a few months back with 10.2.8 but he didn't use it. This unit has two HDs one OS 9.2.2 and one with 10.4.6. Will 512MB be O.K.

Dane D.

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 16, 2004
ohio
So this chipset is bad or what? I have a first generation G3/300 (in sig) and have loaded it with 896MB RAM no problem, but this G3/400 is a later generation because it has provision for two HDs. I tried switching the RAM into different slots, still not getting full RAM. Is there anything I can do to get the RAM to be read as it should and not half of it.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Dane D. said:
So this chipset is bad or what? I have a first generation G3/300 (in sig) and have loaded it with 896MB RAM no problem, but this G3/400 is a later generation because it has provision for two HDs. I tried switching the RAM into different slots, still not getting full RAM. Is there anything I can do to get the RAM to be read as it should and not half of it.
The chipset isn't bad, it is a LIMITATION of the Motorola chipset.

Sort of like how most any ATA-33/66 connection in that machine will only see a maximum 127GB on a drive.

You can upgrade the towers ATA bus by installing the current SATA or ATA-100 PCI card, but you cannot upgrade the chipset.

---

Back when PC-66 memory was made, they didn't have memory at the current density.

So when you install PC-133 memory, it only sees half.

Dane D.

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 16, 2004
ohio
Sun Baked:
Back when PC-66 memory was made, they didn't have memory at the current density.
So when you install PC-133 memory, it only sees half.
The RAM that is called for in the specs is PC100, strange that a first generation board would support alot of RAM and the second it does not. The RAM in question is (2)256MB PC133 and (2)128MB PC100. Does anybody know much about this generation of G/3 B/W's? Should I be wary of failure soon or just live with the half of gig?

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Dane D. said:
The RAM that is called for in the specs is PC100, strange that a first generation board would support alot of RAM and the second it does not. The RAM in question is (2)256MB PC133 and (2)128MB PC100. Does anybody know much about this generation of G/3 B/W's? Should I be wary of failure soon or just live with the half of gig?
Not really, Apple was tinkering quite a bit with the chipset due to the "problems" them were having.

Plus Mac were always picky about memory, too many chips, not enough, too slow, etc.

was the 66MHz bus with a fast response -- basically the PC66 era.

Basically a lot of people that try current PC133 memory in those machines run into the same problem. Quite a few threads like this.

SmurfBoxMasta

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2005
I'm only really here at night.
been there done that :)

B&W's DO support 4x 256mb chips =1GB total. No matter which slot they are in or in what order you install them..

however, to be recognized properly by the memory controller, the chips can ONLY be the low-density variety, that have 8 i/c's on each side of the board, and they MUST meet ALL the other specs exactly.....

3.3v, 168pin SDRAM, NON-ECC, NON-buffered, 8ns.......

and BTW, contrary to popular belief, older PC 133 WILL work, so long as it meets the above specs...... I had 4 sticks of it in my last B&W notta problemo :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.