What could you have accomplished if there was no internet?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by njmac, Feb 6, 2006.

1. njmac macrumors 68000

njmac

I was just thinking about the time I spend on the internet (macrumors specifically :) ) if I used that time for something different, what could I have accomplished?

EDIT: actually, if I could I would change the title - not particularly no internet - but rather the time I spend surfing aimlessly instead of doing something productive. The internet, ofcourse, can be productive.

I could have learned a foreign language.
    Taken a college class or two.
    read at least 2 books more a week
    taught myself about the technical aspects of photography
    go over the rules of grammer, work on my vocabulary, and learn to write better

housework
    organized my office
    gotten a part time job

... just to name a few.

2. barneygumble macrumors 6502a

What couldn't i have done would also be an interesting question.

I would prob have a girlfriend without the cursed net *spits*

3. Hoef macrumors 6502a

Hoef

4. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

So much more practicing.

LOADS MORE PRACTICING.

I'd either be sooo good at violin or horribly injured forever from too much violin.

*shrug*

5. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

So many things with the time.....cleaning my room, editing my doc, writting my script, looking at that chick that live across the road from me.

Bless

6. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Reading...writing...laundry...family time...sleeping...the list is endless...:p

7. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

I'd probably would have found another frivolous thing to waste time on, like buying box sets of TV shows and watching them all the time....hang on I do that anyway :eek:

8. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

1) Watched more television.
    2) Finished all of my homework/have it done sooner.
    3) Played more games on my Mac/video game systems.
    4) Read more books.
    5) Watched more James Bond 007 films.

Who knows.... :)

9. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

There would be "thedude110 Hall"s on prestigious university campuses all across the United States.

Freaking internet. All I want is a building named after me, and look what you've done ...

10. njmac thread starter macrumors 68000

njmac

I may try a 2 week surfing-free period. I don't know if I can just go cold turkey though, hmmm maybe I could self impose a limit. Maybe 15 minutes a day of MR goodness.

11. Aarow macrumors 6502a

Impossible:eek: .

I might have finished my homework earlier/ on time. That and practice my trumpet more than I do now.

12. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

sleep
    learn another language
    sleep
    learn another language
    sleep
    read a book

13. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Why is this thread in the past tense? We could all still do these things.

14. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

dude, i'd probably be about 20 pounds lighter.

15. njmac thread starter macrumors 68000

njmac

Very true :) We could have a thread: If you are willing to stop surfing the net, what will you do instead?

16. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Earlier this month I stopped using the Internet for 4 or 5 hours straight. I might have used the time to read a book or watch TV or listen to some music or teach myself another Photoshop trick, but I couldn't do any of those things... because power was out in our neighborhood!

I read some newspapers by flashlight, but when the power came back on I was right back on the Internet, so we'll never know what great things I might have accomplished.

17. ibook30 macrumors 6502a

ibook30

Without the internet - I could have done so much less.

I could have found fewer sources to fuel my creativity.
    I could have laughed less - and frowned more.
    I could have isolated myself from like minded people and limited my sources of interaction to those who live near by.
    I could learn less and take longer to do it.
    I could struggle longer with the number of syllables in a haiku (5-7-5).
    I could have completely missed out on House of Cosby.

I could have found other things to use productively or abuse - either way it's my choice.

Or I could invent my own government and find a new religion.:D :D ooooh look - under that rock, it's divinity and grace. I have found god and she says to take a 5 minue break ...

18. w_parietti22 macrumors 68020

Without MR/Internet... :eek:

What would I do??? I would be so bored!

19. njmac thread starter macrumors 68000

njmac

:D I'm glad there's an internet, it is amazing what it can do for you! I was more or less thinking of the mindless kind of surfing - like constantly hitting the "new posts" tab on MR far too many times :) Like all things, I think moderation is the key. The internet can be a powerful tool or a mindless time waster. It's all in how you use it.

20. Studawg7 macrumors regular

21. ibook30 macrumors 6502a

ibook30

I was being clever trousers (smarty pants) and I respect the point behind your thread. I humbly bow aside and say-

Without the internet I might have improved myself with more sleep and crowded my mind with fewer images of pop culture.
    For instance- I'd have no idea what extreme ironing is. Something I have no use for.

22. njmac thread starter macrumors 68000

njmac

haha :D I swear, if it wasn't after midnight I would have caught that :p Ahhhh, here's that pesky internet again - interfering with my sleep! 5 more hours 'till my kids wake me up.....

23. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I would finally perfect my legion of evil hamsters and we would probably take over the world using tactics similar to smoke and mirrors.

24. angelneo macrumors 68000

I think I would still be a windows user, and would not know about the existence of Apple and macintosh.

25. Tel macrumors regular

I probably would have become utterly awesome on the guitar, I would have made it as the next big guitarist since Hendrix, my first album would have been number one in countless countries for at least 3 years running. The album would have helped to destroy the blood sucking record industry as we know it and turn it into an organization that truly has love and compassion for music. Needless to say that they album would have put an end to pop music as we know it and the music industry would once again be a place where musicians with real talent were rewarded and not hidden away while corporate fat-cats exploit pop artists and their fans for every penny they could get. My first world tour would help showcase a new generation of extremely talented musicians and would be famous for all the live improvised jams that we played together. The musical revelation that followed would also bring about a new political revolution that would help to fight against the wars and help to reinstate peace all over the world.

But hey, I would no doubt die of a drug overdose shortly after that so thank god for the internet, otherwise I'd be dead! :eek: :D