what crappy luck!

Discussion in 'Community' started by shadowfax, May 6, 2003.

1. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

So a lot of you guys may know, my parents got me a 1996 Honda Civic recently, maybe a little over a month ago... It's been pretty fun. but i have to share it with my sister :rolleyes:

so last night i stayed over at a friend's house (we played CS on his PCs ALL NIGHT lol), but he had picked me up, because my sister had the car when i went over. well, at home, my sister parks the car out on the curb in front of the house because our garages are full and it's the third car, and there's no room in the driveway after our other 2 cars. so last night at about 3:30 (apparently that's when our neighbors heard the tires squeal that woke them up), someone took something like a sledgehammer to my rear window. shattered the thing everywhere--shards of glass in every freaking crevice in the car; somehow it even got into the trunk. i really don't get that one. so that cost about 200$ to repair. that would have mostly been OK, if that had fixed the problem entirely. the beef i have now is that the bastards took the hammer or whatever down through the window and conveniently put a rip in the vinyl back behind the seat, and also ripped the rear left speaker cover. the hit was right there on the right side of the left rear speaker. it looks absolutely terrible and angers me every time i think about it.

i was just wondering, i guess, if any of you could make reasonable guesses as to what it would take to get that fixed, assuming the speaker itself is still fine. i haven't had a chance to check that out yet.

thanks for any assistance you can offer.

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

There are some mobile repair guys that do for interiors what the scratch repair and dent repair guys do.

The repaired a cut the dealer left in the fabric/foam layer of my headliner.

The service writer also said they do quite a few leather repairs for them, and quite of few of those so called leather seats are vinyl.

---

But some of the shelfs behind the seats can also be found at the junkyard.

3. shadowfax thread starter macrumors 603

shadowfax

what do you suppose that would cost to get it repaired by someone like that? i mean i guess i'll end up researching that on my own, but a preliminary ball park would be nice lol.

4. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

i don't suppose your parents have homeowner's insurance that might help cover this type of thing? it covers a pretty broad range of stuff.

5. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Check out prices at the auto salvage yards, some of the rarely damaged interior pieces can be quite cheap.

The headliner repair was $80 on my car, paid for by the company the dealer called to replace a bad sidelight window (who charged $83).

---

Or you can try out one of the vinyl repair kits yourself, and use a can of interior vinyl dye if the repair is badly off color.

6. shadowfax thread starter macrumors 603

shadowfax

would that be good enough for like a large rip? the rips looks like a hammer head went clear through the vinyl and back out.

jello: i'll ask about that, that's a pretty cool idea.

7. GeneR macrumors 6502a

GeneR

Jello has a good point.

Theft, property damage, vandalism... all of those are good avenues to research regarding insurance. And, hey, it's a Honda, so there's going to be quite a lot of parts out there. A lot of Honda parts and OEM parts. Any which way, (I'm guessing) it shouldn't be too bad to take care of.

Sorry to hear about it. Best of luck.

:D

8. voicegy macrumors 65816

voicegy

Sandy Eggo - MacRumors Member since 1-1-2002
    Get your sister to research the cost and pay for it. Or am I missing something here?:D

9. shadowfax thread starter macrumors 603

shadowfax

yeah, i can't reasonably blame her for leaving the car there. it's what we always do. the only people to really blame are the jerks that did it. my parents paid for the window replacement, and will probably at least help pay for fixing this, but it's not as simple as getting the window replaced, or as urgent.

10. JesseJames macrumors 6502a

Get a high-powered rifle with a nightscope and pick a good vantage point overlooking your vehicle. Chances are the bastards will feel so good about themselves they'll try to go for seconds. Aim center mass.;)

11. shadowfax thread starter macrumors 603

shadowfax

hahahahahahahahaha...
    i've actually thought about that a lot since it happened. a few weeks ago, i had a falling out with a friend of mine, and it depressed me like hell. so i started playing Counterstrike with my friend (who has cable internet and 2 PCs) to relieve the tension and get my mind off it. it's really worked, but i start seeing the world in light of it. when a bad things happen, i'll say smugly, "terrorists win!" when i get caught in traffic, it's like, "F*cking campers!"

when i found out about my car, i was like, damn, i need to buy an AWP and camp out at my dining room window. and i wasn't thinking "aim center mass," more like "HEADSHOT!"

on monday night i realized how cool the Steyr TMP was playing the iceworld map. my bought it in a normal map and played a 20 minute series of rounds. out of 37 kills, he got 32 headshots. it was unbelievable. the gun practically gravitates to the opponents' heads. plus it unloads faster than any other gun there. anyways...

12. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

is the car yours and your sisters'? did you buy it together? or did your parents buy it as a present? or did your parents buy it and then decided to get a new car for themselves and gave it to you? or something else?

i think you parents should help pay if only because i am pretty sure their insurance should cover at least some of it.

like 7 years ago (excuse the weak memory), i was playing baseball in my yard with a neighbor. i fouled one back, over the street and it landed on a lady's windshield... i nearly pissed myself (today i would have!), but the point is, my mom came out and (here's where i forget stuff) she said that either my parents' homeowners insurace (don't have to actually own a home to have that) or the lady's homeowners insurance would pay for it....

so, i would imagine something similar would apply. also, this was in NJ where insurance= poo. so, if that matters, then i'd imagine anyplace is better than NJ for this stuff... let us know what you find out.

ps. i doubt it was someone who'd come back unless you have enemies (could it have been the friend you 'broke up with'?) if not, i bet it was just some dumbasses out for some jollies. picking at random..

13. sillymacgirl macrumors member

I'm not sure if homeowners insurance would cover damage done to a vehicle parked on the street. Anything from the sidewalk down is considered public property, not property of the homeowner. However, if you have full coverage auto insurance and a decent company, they should cover damages caused by acts of vandalizm. Good luck in getting it all taken care of!

14. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I have to share a car with mi hermana too. She has already hit
    something (There is a gash in our bumper :rolleyes:). Sorry to
    gear about your misfortune.

15. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

ahh. i'm not sure. just remember it how i explained it... either way it was beyond the curb. heh.

16. shadowfax thread starter macrumors 603

shadowfax

the car is in my mom's name, as she bought it, but it's just my sister and i that drive it. the deal is that we have to share it and have it under her name till i go to college/get a job and pay for insurance.

i am not bothering about the homeowner's insureance though. our deductible is like $1200, so we would end up paying for it all. make me almost wish they'd just slammed into it with their vehicle or bashed in the body. it's like they inentionally did a minimal amount of damage so that we'd have to front all the cash for it.

also, i wouldn't put it past these guys to come back, if my theory is right. a few weeks ago, my dad spotted a guy at about 5 in the morning going through all our cars checking the doors for unlocked ones. he was with another guy who was following him down the street in a jeep. there have also been incidents around the neighborhood like this... people gluing pennies to someone's car body, putting acid on it... i don't know why nothing's really been done yet. i am hoping, though, hoping they'll get even dumber. i'm fairly certain, though, that these are the type of guys that will end up slamming into the concrete barrier on the highway at 70-90 mph after a binge of drinking, so i guess i'm not too concerned.

17. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Shadowfax, I'm sorry to hear about your car problem! I know how much it hurts, never really seems to be the same again! :( Hopefully the suggestions of the other posters will be of great assistance! I pray that it will be as good as new. I'm very sorry that it happend to such a nice young lady! ;)

18. shadowfax thread starter macrumors 603

shadowfax

thanks for the sypathy, but haven't i told you i'm an 18-year-old male? i'm like 5'11 and almost 200 lb. quite the nice young lady :p

actually, i always wear plaid shirts; my friends joke that i'm a lumberjack.

19. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

These creeps sound like a couple guys that deserve to be caught and have all the hair on their head shaved -- but you don't want them to suffer razor burn, so that orange dye in the pepper spray cans should really help. But stripping the shaved orange dudes and superglueing their hands to their ankles would be a bit much.

Sort of sad that you can defend your property with some level of violence, but you can't get away with utterly humiliating somebody. :(

20. shadowfax thread starter macrumors 603

shadowfax

the sad part is that if i did use some measure of violence, i would probably be liable for it to some extent. i've heard some weird stories about criminals suing people for injuries suffered while they were illegally on that person's property.

21. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I'm sorry shadowfax, didn't do it on purpose! If I had read about you being a male it slipped my mind. It's always bad to assume, only facts should be used. The avatar is where my idea comes from. I hope that you can find it in your heart to forgive me! :(

22. shadowfax thread starter macrumors 603

shadowfax

it's no problem at all. i understand the mistake fairly well; i was just having a little laugh at your mistake ;)

it's like edsignuk's 'tar with the series of women (or rather, series of pictures of the same woman), only she's not exactly voluptuous enough to make you assume i'm of the opposite sex.

but it's the same woman you complimented in the "babealicious wallpapers" thread that had the cross chain on her neck... i'm not her, just an avid admirer (who hasn't seen any of her movies... yet...)