What crazy stuff will car companies not do?

Discussion in 'Community' started by MrMacMan, Mar 1, 2004.

1. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

I watched a commerical for a car company... not that I like it or don't like the car... but they test these cars... in an 'avoidance test' which I have never heard before but they drop objects at them in what seems to be a race...

What is it suppose to prove? I can swerve away from objects better then you?

see the ad here

2. kettle macrumors 65816

kettle

I that anything like slabs of concrete from bridges?

3. iGav macrumors G3

stuff the avoidence test... what on earth has Mitsubishi done to the Galant.... :eek: :eek: :eek:

please don't say they're replacing the current model with that over here... :eek: :rolleyes: :(

4. evoluzione macrumors 68020

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be

um, yep. personally i think it's not a bad idea, it's good to see how a car handles. shame the actual commercial, and the look of the car sucks.

5. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I have those situations all the time out on the highway. :D

I'm just glad they weren't throwing those mannequins from the truth advertisements. :D truth would have to start doing automotive safety along with tobacco safety.

6. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

That's utterly hilarious ;) sadly i could see it tho...

i saw the ad mentioned a couple of weeks ago... Not only did i think it was badass, but i can see a practical side. I've seen a lot of videos with cars slamming into sterile concrete walls on a sleigh, with mannequins... i'm aware of how cars react when in an accident, and the safety rating system. I would prefer, however, not to have an impact at all... the commercial may seem extreme, but I have been on the interstate with pieces of trash, lumber, toolboxes falling at 80mph... and coming upon a lane of traffic completely standstill doing the same speed. If my current car couldn't handle well, I-80 would have killed me already ;)

paul

7. takao macrumors 68040

takao

haha nice commercial...especially combined with the music :)
    hm such things have real back ground .. i guess such things happed all the time on highways/autobahnen

8. MrMacMan thread starter macrumors 604

MrMacMan

So sorry to hear your already dead!

Awww, all this time I thought you were alive.

I find that handeling is a good part to a car... but this doesn't show everything...

If you want handeling you get a sports car no? :eek:

and the car looks bad.

9. iGav macrumors G3

:p :p :p not everyone wants a sports car though, never mind afford one... but that doesn't mean that driver satisfaction should be a secondary consideration because it's a saloon car... :rolleyes:

I want a car, whether it be Fiesta, a Nissan, a Volvo or a f**kin' Ferrari to respond when I ask it, or need it to.... having a car spin out because you've had to pull off an evasive maneuver at 80MPH (I've had to do it myself many a time on Motorways) and your car spins out at 80MPH on a 3 lane road, you're going to cause some serious problems for other drivers... (pray that they have cars that handle properly for a start) wouldn't it be better to have a car that can handle and avoid the unexpected rather than have one which gets a tank slapper on??

Alot of the time with U.S. cars (not just those made there, but imports too) suffer incredibly soft set ups. Firmer springs would cure most of the handling problems but there seems to be a culture of 'comfort' over dynamic handling there... I've lost count of the amount of times I've read on here by U.S. people banging on about having a ride that is too firm.

Even the yank tanks that get sold over here, with what's considered 'Euro' set ups, are still far too soft, and that affects the handling, something that is unexceptable to everyone here, except maybe the oldies in the 65+ club that like to wallow along so as not to jar their joints :eek: :p

Either way, they can't sell it as a Galant over here... nooooooooooooooooo :eek: :rolleyes:

10. takao macrumors 68040

takao

yeah i found it very confusing too ... why do americans like those soft springs ? .. even mercedes S-class has harder springs and i wouldn't consider them as 'not comfortable' the Ford Focus sold here has very decent spring/supension too got lots of good critics for their sport-like handling

i think americans just like to 'float' around on their streets
    :D