What desktop apps would you like to see on the iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by str1f3, Apr 10, 2010.

1. macrumors 68000

Just out of curiosity and hopefully the devs are listening.

2. macrumors 6502

Some kind of CS lite, that allows basic editing of PSD, AI, and InDesign files. That would be fantastic.

Direct printing from within apps would be great.

Otherwise, I think everything is pretty much covered, for me at least.

3. thread starter macrumors 68000

Off the top of my head I can think of:

-PDFpen (edits PDFs which would allow you to fill out forms, etc.; the touchscreen could also be handy for signatures)

-Picturesque (minor photo editing app)

-Skitch (minor photo editing app with upload to their free hosting site)

-iMovie and GarageBand

-possibly a full Boxee app with the ability to stream from your desktop. Could even use the Boxee remote iPhone app to control the app.

4. macrumors 6502

harry*333

some basic version of photoshop
    imovie, iweb, and some kind of basic file viewer such as Preview(with ability to take screen recordings)

5. macrumors regular

An app that will automatically sync files between iPad and online storage like dropbox/etc, with editing and saving of word/xls/PDF/ppt would be amazing. For now I am surviving with goodreader. One big improvement that good reader could have would be 1 button sync of all files on dropbox and iPad, with directories.

Hopefully dropbox comes out with a great iPad app to fill that need.

6. macrumors 6502

markosb

Photoshop, Lightroom, Indesign. Right now I would love something to tag images and some basic website creator.

7. thread starter macrumors 68000

Good points about iWeb and screen recording.

One thing that I've noticed about iPad apps early on is that there are too many iPhone ports. I've got 10-12 photo editing apps, each for a single purpose, and it seems like the iPad is screaming for a suite (or a desktop caliber app) for different categories of apps when you consider the screen size.

8. macrumors 65816

ImperialX

Like everyone else, I'd love to have Photoshop of some kind.

9. macrumors 601

HiRez

If you mean straight ports of desktop apps, probably none, the experience would be terrible in most cases. But if you mean a re-imagining of those desktop apps for the iPad, I can think of lots. Xcode would be first on my list, even if only Cocoa Touch apps were supported. Lightroom would be great, but doing non-destructive RAW processing would probably bring the A4 CPU to its knees, so that might not be realistic (not sure how hard it is to offload RAW processing onto the GPU though, that could help a lot). Others would be TextWrangler, Transmit, iMovie, Garage Band, Firefox (love Safari but a few sites work better in FF),and Chronosync (if iPad ever gets a file system of some kind). There's other stuff I could dream about like After Effects, Photoshop, Illustrator, Final Cut, and Cinema 4D, but those are huge resource hogs that require expansive interfaces, it'd be a gigantic challenge to make those usable on iPad.

10. macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Word. Or at least something more compatible than Pages.

11. macrumors 65816

Microsoft Office and some Adobe CS titles. Having iLife would be nice too. :D

12. macrumors member

Rayban

I'd love to see iWeb!

13. macrumors 6502

My number one app request would be a real Quicken app for iPad and iPhone. I hated their online stuff and don't like Mint.

14. macrumors regular

Soulseek :eek:

15. macrumors 6502a

Dillenger

OneNote, but since MS won't even make it for the regular Mac OS, I seriously doubt it would make it to the iPad. I'm hoping at SOHO notes or Circus Ponies - Notebook will be rewritten.

16. macrumors 65816

master-ceo

Propellerhead Recycle
    Soundforge
    Audacity
    FL Studio (fruityloops)
    JJ Sequencer
    Ableton Live
    Photoshop

17. macrumors 6502

I would just like a USB port and the ability to multi task.

18. macrumors 6502a

Some ports I'd like to see:

iWeb
    iMovie
    Aperture (or at least a linked light table/companion app)
    OpenOffice

And some games:

Populous
    Homeworld

I'd also like to see both Rev and Dashcommand ported from the iPhone. These apps link up to my cars OBD II port wirelessly through the Kiwi wifi connector and allow me to monitor real time information, diagnostics, as well as reset error codes. The iPads larger display would be incredible for these types of apps.

19. macrumors 68040

Jaro65

MS Office, for sure.

20. macrumors newbie

Quickbooks

21. macrumors 6502a

Microsoft Word
    VLC Media Player
    Runescape

22. macrumors 68000

+1

Or at least a 3rd party alternative that keeps the original formatting intact. Until that happens, the iPad has limited usefulness for work in my case. I have to believe we'll see something fairly soon. In fact, there IS such an app in the store already - Office2 Pro. Looks kinda rough right now but a good start.

23. macrumors 6502

Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

;)

24. macrumors 6502

YES!!!

although I do like the idea of using the iPad as a controller like the Novation LaunchPad.

Also I'd like to see MacJournal do an iPad app, I have the desktop and the iPhone app and both are really nice but an iPad app would be cool.

25. tys
    macrumors 6502

iPhoto! Is sucks to have to go back to an old fashioned computer to organize, tag, and edit photos in my library. These could be done easily on the iPad.
    I'd also love to see something like mapmyride.com, where I could plot out biking routes on a map. It currently doesn't work in the iPad browser.