What devices does Tiger sync with? Does Tiger use iSync?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Toe, Mar 28, 2005.

1. Toe macrumors 65816

Mar 25, 2002
    Apple currently publishes a list of devices that work with iSync:

I assume that Tiger will expand this list, but have no idea what is supported. Does anyone? It seems like the above list hasn't been updated in quite a while (no RAZR, 6630, P910a, etc.).

Interestingly, on the Tiger demo, they show off ".Mac Sync"
    This appears to be one aspect of iSync, but integrated into .Mac, and appearing in the .Mac preference pane. So where's the rest of iSync? Does it still exist in Tiger? Is it distributed through the OS? Would I find it in iCal and Address Book?

Any clues would be appreciated! I'd like to buy a phone now, but don't know if the models I'm considering will work with iCal, etc.
  2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

Jun 6, 2003
    Solon, OH
    MacShrine published some screen shots (which have since been taken down :( ) that proved that iSync is still around in Tiger, serving the same function it always has. The only difference is that the .Mac syncing was removed from iSync and moved to System Preferences. If you try to use .Mac sync in iSync for Tiger, iSync helpfully directs you to the right spot. I think it's safe to assume that the list of supported devices in iSync for Tiger is covered by NDA.
  3. Toe thread starter macrumors 65816

Mar 25, 2002
    I suppose that may be true.

Hm... has anyone heard of anyone who happened to mention that Tiger did or did not sync with their Nokia 6630, 7650, or 6800? Or maybe a BenQ P30? :D

Seriously, though... I understand the usefulness of NDAs, but I don't see why Apple wouldn't publish a list of soon-to-be-supported iSync devices. It's just mean to withhold that information. :(
  4. Toe thread starter macrumors 65816

Mar 25, 2002
  5. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Aug 1, 2004
    The City of Culture, Englandshire
    Yep, I was hoping my Nokia 6230 would finally be getting some official support too. I guess I'm stuck with PhoneDirector for a while yet!
  6. cheekyspanky macrumors 6502a

Jan 21, 2004
    South Bucks, UK
    iSync support for the V3 via Bluetooth..(as far as I can tell anyway)

Seems pretty good to me, an improvement on the Panther support at least.
  7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    This was one of the first things I noticed...I'm almost sold on getting one of those. They've been getting steadily cheaper in the US too -- as low as $140 post-rebates. If it hits $100, hmmm.....
  8. Toe thread starter macrumors 65816

Mar 25, 2002
    In practically every user review of the RAZR I've seen, everyone agrees that it is an awesome form factor... but almost everyone also agrees that Motorola hasn't made a good phone this millennium, and the RAZR follow suit.

Which makes me (and apparently many Motorola users) wonder what the heck Apple is thinking by partnering with Mot for the iTunes phone....

Still wish I could figure out what phone to buy, now that I at least know what works with iSync.