What did I do....?!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by donniedarko, Jan 22, 2006.

1. donniedarko macrumors regular

I purchased a new 300 gb 800FW ext. HD. I consider myself an enthusiast of mac product but am no expert. Not an idiot just naive... lol

So I elected to do what was suggested.
    In disk utility I partioned the new external HD with a full copy of my PB HD. I have never needed to have HD partitioned or externals for that matter. However, Music, and film is clogging my HD and lagging my PB.
    I wanted to pull the 20GB of music off and do the sensible backup of data. Partion my ext HD, and then my itunes archive in the other half/part right?

Well I was doing the download to the ext HD... and I noticed it said the dowload was near 60GB. Odd I thought I had 20 tops, including my iTunes tv downloads and 18 GB of music.

I then get infoed my PB HD to see that it had 60 GB???!

Is it possible that I am jack ass and saved my own HD twice?

Is it possible I partitioned my own HD and have 2 copies of it on it?

TIA
    dd

2. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

Wait, I'm a bit confused with what you're doing...

You're partitioning your external HD into 2 partitions, yea? Then on one partition you're cloning a copy of your powerbook's hard drive, and on the other you're simply drag-and-dropping your iTunes music folder?

So what exactly is the problem? You did the "Cmd + I" thing on your powerbook's hard drive and saw that it was 60GB, which makes sense. If the music folder is what you want to check the size of, you have to click on that music folder and then hit "Cmd + I".

Could you be a bit more specific as to what the problem is? Haha maybe it's just me, and I should be in bed rather than trying to solve computer issues. :rolleyes:

3. donniedarko thread starter macrumors regular

Ok let me slow down... I got the new ext HD. I then decided to use SuperDuper to do my backups to my HD.

I think I messed up and saved my HD twice on my laptop??! When I was going through Super Duper to get it figured out
    Is this possible. Because I suddenly out of nowhere have 60GB on my HD. When I had 20+. I am a freak with cmd I/get info... I have done Activity Monitor and looked at the different settings. Virtual memory is real high but what would that do...

I'm tripping...
    Mysterious.
    dd

4. donniedarko thread starter macrumors regular

I figured it was what I did. I have in my volume folder a total copy of my HD.
    I cant trash it either. Even dwnldd Force Empty Trash, no work:confused:

5. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

No, the Volumes folder is just the place where volumes are mounted. Volumes, including mounted DMGs, CDs, USB flash drives, external hard drives, etc show up there.

6. donniedarko thread starter macrumors regular

So what does this mean??? and how can I fix?