What did I miss, Apple Stock skyrocketing?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by srobert, Aug 12, 2005.

1. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

Did I miss something. Apple's stock started skyrocketing today at noon (up almost 4% at time of posting). I think it is at it's highest historical level (previously was 45.44). I've been browsing the news headlines but I can't explain the sudden increase. Oh well. Maybe it's just a spike. Congrats to Apple anyway for breaking it's own record again.

Attached Files:

• b.png
      b.png
      File size:
      3.4 KB
      Views:
  2. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    Mix of everything really.

- Apple / Intel ... not much in the way of bad-mouthied reporting in the media

- The hitherto unchartered Mac Mini and Shuffle arenas have not turned out to be the Cube all over again

- Tiger has seen the best OS adoption rate

- iTunes and the Pod just seem to constantly grow

- I bought a G5, market seemed pretty pleased with that.

It's a kind of Karmic pot of warm fuzzies that Apple is feeling right now. It's gambled on pretty much all of the above and they've come out smelling of something similar to roses.

3. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

Apple secured the Rolling Stones digital archives for iTunes.

Game over.

:D

4. srobert thread starter macrumors 68020

srobert

Maybe. But it's weird to see it spike all of a sudden. I was personally expecting to see a slight drop because of the Microsoft/Apple iPod patent dispute and some of Apple's big shot cashing in their options.

And it keeps climbing ^_^. Now at 45.94 (up 4.41%) That means that Apple's biggest stock holder is $252,588 richer than he was yesterday at time of this post.

5. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Lancetx

Looks like everyone is selling their Dell stock and buying AAPL. :D Dell disappointed the street with their quarterly numbers yesterday and as a result their stock is down almost 8% today.

6. srobert thread starter macrumors 68020

srobert

Maybe you're right. MarketWatch just covered it:

7. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Disregard the daily price fluctuations. It just means a bunch of idiot daytraders are buying and selling stock in hopes of gaining instant riches. Apple stock price will stabilize (meaning correction) in the coming weeks back to pre-frenzied levels.

8. runninmac macrumors 65816

runninmac

Yay this is the first time in 6 months if I was to sell apple I would make money! :D

Dell is having a blood bath..

[​IMG]
    Thats what I like to see!

9. greatm31 macrumors member

greatm31

I've been thinking about buying Apple stock, but then I remembered that AAPL has a tendency to crash nastily every now and then. I'm hoping that Apple will have a mildly dissapointing quarter, everyone on Wall Street will think the iPod fad is over, and the stock will lose 30 points overnight. Then it'll lose a few more. Then I'll buy it.

... But of course when that happens the iPod isn't dying down, rather Wall Street is just being Wall Street. Apple will come back in less than a year and I will have made some serious moolah.

(I only wish I thought this through the last time Apple stock crashed....sigh...)

10. beatle888 macrumors 68000

beatle888

that and they just added the zappa catalog

11. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Odd coincedence that the news that OS X was hacked to run on any PC came out just a little before that. You'd think that the stock would have crashed, but apperently people think it's a Good Thing®. I'm sure all that other stuff helped too.

12. mj_1903 macrumors 6502a

mj_1903

I think the can be attributed in part to the general bad news on the street regarding the tech sector which makes Apple look like a steal and the rumours about the Apple/Google partnership.

13. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

this reminds me of what a fed challenge team did during the Dallas competition last year:
    An economist asked them about their graph. It was going upward, but after a downward trend for the past 3 quarters. Only two points were going up.
    So, they called it an UPWARD TREND! (WTF?!?)
    Then, the economist judge asked them some question, and they used the term "upward trend" and the judge just OWNED them. "Two points do not make a trend."

I had to keep myself from laughing! You should have seen the looks on their faces! It was PRICELESS! I loved it!!

needless to say, they didn't win.. :p

oh yea.. day traders, quick money, bla bla bla, I'm glad they're doing something OTHER than real estate. Some time soon, the bubble is going to pop, everyone with land will go broke, and I'll just be twiddling my thumbs because I was awesome enough to not invest in real estate.

oh yea. Apple stock was the topic?
    Hm... how to get on topic..

I am the next generation female Peter Oppenheimer. Feel my apple-tastic economicsness!! :) :)

14. Sirus The Virus macrumors 6502a

Sirus The Virus

A Radiohead catalog would be nice.

15. Calvinatir macrumors 6502

Calvinatir

heh, I bought in October, a good buy! Not as good as if I'd bought last April :|

16. srobert thread starter macrumors 68020

srobert

It keeps climbing! O_O

It might even hit the year-end target by the end of the day ^_^ (1y Target Est: 49.31, currently 48.16)

Let's hope for our fellow shareholders that the rumors are founded so the stock won't be thumbling back down to it's previous level.

Even in the stock market, Apple goes against the trend. ^_^ Go Apple!