What did Whoopi say?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Waluigi, Jul 15, 2004.

1. Waluigi macrumors 6502

I've heard a lot recently that Whoopi made some sexual comments on bush's name at a Kerry fundraiser. However, I can't seem to find a transcript of this anywhere! Does anyone know exactly what she said (as in have a credible link)?

--Waluigi

2. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Was it something along the lines of "Put a Bush and a Dick in the White House, and you KNOW someone's going to get screwed." I don't know if that's what she said though, if she said anything.

3. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

4. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

How about Dennis Miller apparently gay-baiting Kerry and Edwards while introducing Bush at a rally in Wisconsin? I'm sure not hearing any GOP outrage about that, yet Whoopi is Public Enemy Number One to them.

5. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Well Slim-Fast was worried about a few customers being upset with Whoopi, and losing sales.

Well, I use their products. And I called them and told them that till Whoopi is back, they have lost me and many others.

It is not about their support of the Republicans. It is about free speech. They knew the type of woman she is with her schtick.

6. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

http://nypress.com/17/28/news&columns/RussSmith.cfm
    Scoot down to "As Labash recounts"

Seems pretty tame to me, just typical Whoopi stuff, but it's a campaign so everyone is required to overreact, or something.

7. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Now that you mention it not much different than what she might have said on her TV series...

8. 2jaded2care macrumors 6502

As Chip says, Slim-Fast knew -- or should have known -- the personality they were hiring. Their mistake was hiring her in the first place, if there was a reasonable chance they were going to be unnerved by her statements in an election year. Now they've definitely alienated some customers by trying to placate others.

I've never understood why companies which sell to a broad cross-section of the public will pick controversial, polarizing or "edgy" personalities to pitch their products.

Then again, I've never understood why entertainers who try to appeal to the general public (as opposed to those who are only getting rich off one political group, a la Rush Limbaugh or Michael Moore) feel obligated to hold forth in a public manner one way or the other. Seems they do run the risk of alienating probably a third of their audience. Sure, they have a right to speak out -- they just shouldn't complain that people have a right to withhold their support in response.

As an example, I know people who refuse to give Julia Roberts another dollar of their money after her "Republican comes between reptile and repugnant in the dictionary" comment... Of course she might've gained a few fans as well, but I find it hard to believe it's a net gain.

Whoopi isn't public* enemy number one to me, or even number 5,683. In fact, I hadn't even thought about her in several months, and probably won't again after this -- unless she decides to use the controversy in a bid to get attention (a la Michael Moore -- except he manufactures the controversies).

Hadn't heard about Dennis Miller... link, please?

*You have no idea how difficult it was to force myself to spell "public" correctly in this context...

9. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

Too true, Freedom of speech means freedom from government persecution for what you say. Not freedom from somebody in the country getting pissed at you for what you say. It always amazes me when celebrities are shocked when fans become former fans because of what they say. (but then again, many people say most celebrities are not very bright, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised. :D)

10. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A50071-2004Jul14.html

Miller wasn't fired. In fact, this crass remark was hardly mentioned in the "liberal media." And he was actually introducing Bush at a campaign stop, so an endorsement by the campaign could certainly be inferred. So long as he isn't selling weight-loss products, I guess it doesn't matter.

11. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i saw miller host an awards ceremony in march 2003, i.e. just before the war. to the horror of the audience, who were thinking they were going to see an awards show, he immediately went on a pro-war rant. some people were in tears. miller got into a shouting match w/ a guy in the second row (who did nothing more than ask if this was appropriate material for the venue, miller told the guy he must be a saddam lover and to leave the country).

others stormed out. a friend of mine said a fight nearly broke out in the bathroom over the comments. and miller wasn't done. between awards, he was in the back thinking of more insults to the 2nd row guy and "anti-war wimps" in general.

i've never seen a performer lose an audience so quickly. it was fascinating to watch. and until then, i'd never realized what an utter horses' ass miller actually is. it's a shame, i liked him on SNL.

12. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Talk about another double standard by those on the right... Particularly in light of their hands-off attitude towards a VP who swears actual epithets on the floor of the Senate.

Not to mention the lack of coverage theliberalmedia has given it. You'd think if they were so liberal they be on this like crazy. Maybe theliberalmedia is not as liberal as some would lead us to belive eh?

13. trebblekicked macrumors 6502a

trebblekicked

too true...it's a wonder he and al franken co-existed for so many years w/o major public incident.

14. amnesiac1984 macrumors 6502a

Well I think that maybe not everyone, especially those entertainers who already have much dosh really care that much about more money over such important issues. I mean I wouldn't. If my country was going down the crapper (which it is, just not quite as fast as yours, or maybe yours is bringing us with it) and I stood to lose some of my audience by sticking by my views then I would damn sure stick by my views. I mean really has everyone forgotten that there is more to life than money? Talk about the human preoccupation.

As for michael moore, I've really gotten sick of the guy now, I watched Farenheit yesterday and I really enjoyed it and want to believe it all but I just can't trust the guy, especially after he manufactured the controversy about Pete Townshend.! Plus I know a guy who does some legal work for him and he says that Moore is one of the biggest arseholes he's ever met! His films are about one thing, Michael Moore, he finds something that is honourable and emotional and plays on it to make as much cash for himself as possible!

15. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

So he's much like any other film-maker, then? :confused:

16. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

Sure as heck sounds like it, doesn't it?

17. amnesiac1984 macrumors 6502a

I'm not sure I see how, I don't think he's much like any other documentary film maker. But his films are repeatedly called documentaries. The guy uses sleezy tactics and often lies, even on his own website. The thing that really gets me os that he shouldn't have to, because all the true bits in his films should be good enough. On top of that my good friend who has met him and agrees with most of what he says described him as the most despicable man he's ever met! (This guy has met lots of despicable people.) That's good enough for me.

18. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I'll take your word for it.

19. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Sure sounds like you are describing Bush and Company :D

20. amnesiac1984 macrumors 6502a

Thankyou,

I don't know if you know what I mean, but it really annoys me, I can enjoy his films, but there's always this nagging thing in the back of my head that is pissing me off about him, I just wish somebody else had made this film who didn't keep making an ass of himself when he goes on the attack (or defence in the case of his web-site)

ChipNova

I know it sounds like I am describing Bush n Co, and thats what pisses me off, its never okay to sink to the level of your opponent. Especially if you are calling them liars but being a liar yourself.

Like what was all this BS about Pete Townshend wanting to withold the Who song because he supported the war in iraq? Tha'ts a classic example of Moore being a total Dickhead and making up bull**** controversies to get himself into the press, when the reality is Moore didn't offer nearly enough money for it!

21. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

You're welcome.

Is this the "lie" you're referring to? Or is it more than this? Because I wouldn't be surprised if PT WAS in favour of the war, actually. He has definite Tory leanings, as far as I remember. And why not? Have you got a link?

22. 2jaded2care macrumors 6502

I thought he was shilling for some wireless phone service a while back. Oh yeah, and DirectTV maybe. (I'm an advertiser's nightmare, I have CRS.) Is that what you're referring to when you say he wasn't fired? I could understand if some company like that wanted to inform him his services were "no longer required".

Sounds like Miller did introduce an unwelcome element to that awards show. Miss Manners and I would have been appalled. (Unless it was an MTV award show, in which case it was a dead loss anyway...)

Of course celebrities can and do express their opinions. However, I would like to think that one could do so without being obnoxious. I guess a partisan audience encourages outrageousness, but to me it reeks of high-school football pep rally "mentality".

23. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

it was the 2003 Golden Trailer awards. small-ish event, i got the impression that the community that makes trailers is pretty small. low pretension. thoroughly unprepared for what miller did.

24. 2jaded2care macrumors 6502

Presuming you're talking movie trailers and not, well, trailer trailers -- I would've loved to have attended that one! I love movie trailers. Too bad the movies themselves are rarely as good...

Of course, I would only attend if they hired a non-controversial host, someone like Howard Stern :p

25. amnesiac1984 macrumors 6502a

Maybe he is I don't know and I don't have a link. I have heard both sides of the story. My point is that even if he did why should Michael go off on a rant about it, its not a very nice way to behave. I too would think that PT may have right leanings but I think he probably thinks more in terms of money than politics, he's never been a very political rock star as far as I know (I could be completely wrong here), and regardless of politics Moore didn't offer enough money. Michael should have walked away but instead he turned it into yet another stink pot of a controversy which got him even more hype for his film. Do you see what I'm getting at?