What did you buy your first day and/or night on iTunes?

Discussion in 'Community' started by BaghdadBob, Apr 29, 2003.

1. BaghdadBob macrumors 6502a

BaghdadBob

Hey guys and gals! I'm interested to see what the MacRumors community bought on iTunes in their first day. A note: try not to bash other people's selections...too much :D...and try not to turn this into a discussion of the usefulness of the service, it's just a place to talk about what you did (and didn't) get. Not that you can't comment, but back and forth discussions on how good the iTunes store is have a thread already :)

My items in bold were actually my fianceé's selection, and all are in order purchased, though I browsed for a couple of hours before I signed up for 1-Click:

• DMX -- Damien

Nirvana -- Heart Shaped Box

Dolly Parton -- Jolene
      Note: This is actually a pretty good song. I don't exactly know much Dolly Parton, but I like this

Aretha Franklin -- Respect

Aretha Franklin -- Think

Great White -- House of Broken Love

The Mamas & The Papas -- California Dreamin'

Beck -- Loser

Righteous Brothers -- Unchained Melody
      Note: This was found by her but mutually agreed purchase...kinda like this song

Bjork -- Army of Me

Def Leppard -- Bringin' on the Heartbreak

Kiss -- Rock Bottom

Marilyn Manson -- Get Your Gunn

Korn -- Blind

Ozzy Osbourne -- Diary of a Madman

Sammy Hagar -- Heavy Metal

George Strait -- Nobody In His Right Mind

George Strait -- The Cowboy Rides Away

Pink Floyd -- Brain Damage
    Also, what did you really want that you were surprised they didn't have? For me it was the Little Richard song from Predator. I've been wanting that song for so long...

My bottom line: that was way too easy (except for the artists and songs I couldn't find). Apple has succeeded on getting at least one person who has not spent a dime on music for a year or better (no I have not been stealing it) to get excited about browsing and purchasing music. Good job Apple!

2. jethroted macrumors 6502a

jethroted

Re: What did you buy your first day and/or night on iTunes?

Minor Threat - Bottled Violence
    Black Flag - Nervous Breakdown
    Dead Kennedys - Riot
    S.O.A. - Girl Problems
    Necros - IQ 32
    Angelic Upstarts - I'm an Upstart
    SSD - Boston Crew
    Bad Brains - Banned in DC

Oh what a magical night it was! Any song I wanted, all mine!

3. BaghdadBob thread starter macrumors 6502a

BaghdadBob

Punk on bro...or whatever you punks say to eachother :D

Edit: You big fat liar! They do not have those artists! Freakin punks! And stay off my flower beds! :p

As for me...let's just say if I were to re-post my purchased music list it would be easier to embolden the tracks that I did buy myself, as they are quickly growing outnumbered.

I hope PC users everywhere are as jealous as the one who lives in my house, Apple could rake in some bucks when they roll it out :D

4. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

Re: Re: What did you buy your first day and/or night on iTunes?

I think this is sarcasm. I searched for Bad Brains, Black Flag, and Minor Threat yesterday and don't remember finding any tracks. That being said, I did find a lot of musicc I was interested in. Bought Steve Earle's "Train a-Comin" cd.

5. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Sorry, BaghdadBob, but I'm ignoring both of your ground rules:

(1) Commenting on other people's selections: Not many people buy Dolly Parton and Marilyn Manson music at the same time. I congratulate you and your fianceé on your wide combined taste. I pretty much stick to rock 'n roll purchases for myself, but I don't mind a little variety. Hey, "9 to 5" by Dolly Parton and "Beautiful People" by Marilyn Manson were both good songs.

(2) Discussion of the sevice: I didn't jump in and make a purchase the first day, but I did "buy into" the concept, even though I've only acquired music "on media" in the past. It's like switching from film cameras to digital cameras. You have to accept the concept first, and I do.

Now that I can buy individual songs, I plan to buy some songs from what I consider to be one-hit wonders, such as Radar Love by Golden Earring.

6. BaghdadBob thread starter macrumors 6502a

BaghdadBob

I think my punk comment was breaking a ground rule anyway, except in a really dorky way...:)

My only intention with any "rules" was to prevent this from becoming like the main thread on the service. I'm not even paying attention to that one because it seems pointless (even more so than with the mouse issue) to try an argue whether you think a music service is any good based on selection, and personally I think that even though their selection needs time to develop the service itself is outstanding.

Marylin Manson and Dolly Parton, yes...how about Aretha Franklin and Korn? I love my Aretha Franklin tracks. And that Dolly Parton song is way catchy...stuck in my head.

Anyway, some more artists that have made it onboard in day 2:

• Stevie Ray Vaughan
      The Jets
      Foreigner
      Ted Nugent
      ZZ Top
      Bell Biv DeVoe
      Ralph Tresvant
      Rage Against the Maching...("Now TESTIFY!" I should own that album...)
      Maxi Priest
      Judas Priest

Yes, only Rage was my pick. I didn't even know my girl liked "mood music" like that, we had generally always went with some hard rock. What a learning experience. This service really kicks ass -- for the price of two CDs I have some major gaps in my colleciton filled.

7. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

We could have a whole thread about odd combinations that we like, e.g., I like the Foo Fighters and the Beach Boys. Among dead artists, I like Jimi Hexdrix and Prokofiev, Frank Zappa and Harry Chapin, etc. I'll watch for them all in the iTunes Music Store!

8. andrewlandry macrumors member

i've purchased the following albums so far:

The B-52's - The B-52's (first album)
    They Might Be Giants - Flood

i had the first one on vinyl and wanted it on my computer, but hadn't felt like spending $16.00 for it. it was $8.99 at the iTunes Music Store.

I had most of Flood on my computer, but really wanted the whole thing at good quality. Also, it wasn't worth $16.00 to me, but I was willing to part with $9.99.

9. lmalave macrumors 68000

lmalave

Just bought 3 songs now:

Radiohead - Airbag
    U2 - Stay
    U2 - I Threw a Brick Through a Window

Radiohead I had on CD but lost. The other 2 I only had on cassette (remember those?).

10. Pismo macrumors 6502

Pismo

Purple Pills by D-12 and Eminem:D

Buying was really easy. An incredible service!

11. brogers macrumors regular

Gee, I only bought one so far.

Kevin Maxx....Return of the Singer

I will be getting more though.

12. Groovsonic macrumors regular

Wow. I just got home a litte while ago. I downloaded this thing, and it has already presented a new challenge to me. I was planning on not buying more than 10 songs, and I have already bought 26! I can't afford to do that! Well here is my very strange list of the first 10:

1.) Starman - David Bowie
    2.) Danke Schoen - Wayne Newton
    3.) Walkin' on the Sun - Smash Mouth
    4.) The Remedy - David Mraz
    5.) The Energy - Audiovent
    6.) Mandy - Barry Manilow
    7.) Barracuda - Heart
    8.) The Hardest Thing - 98 Degrees
    9.) Leader of the Pack - Shangri-Las
    10.) It's My Party - Leslie Gore

Some of the others include:
    Chains of Love - Erasure
    The Way You Like It - Adema
    You're So Vain - Carly Simon

No, I AM NOT GAY!!!

I have really strange taste in music. Alot of these are songs that I would probably never buy a whole album (Barry manilow, adema, 98 degrees, audiovent), either because I don't like anything else by them, or it would be embarassing! This is great, cause I can get a song I like without having to buy (example) Ultimate Manilow. I don't want that. I would probably never buy Ultimate Manilow, but I Would buy "mandy" for $1.

Now, I gotta say, the only problem will be limiting myself on how many I can buy in a payperiod...

13. pyknosis macrumors newbie

Impressed... but there's room for improvement.

I have mixed reviews about the iTunes Music Store (iTMS) so far. This service is exactly what I have been waiting for, since I gave up some time ago on wasting my time trying to find COMPLETE, HIGH-QUALITY MP3s on P2P. I think the usability of the iTMS is quite impressive. I'm disappointed, however, that of 8 tracks I've purchased, 2 have serious sound quality problems.

I'm not an audiophile--I'm perfectly content listening to 160kbps MP3s--but these two tracks have such serious problems that I can't listen to them:

Bjork - Human Behaviour (There is a popping sound every 3-5 seconds--not terribly loud, but loud enough to make the song unenjoyable.)

Nine Inch Nails - Closer (Static for the first 45 sec of the song, which then disappears. Most of the rest of the song sounds ok, but some of the high pitched "electronic" sounds in the latter half of the song sound horrible. Also, the track ends about a second too early and prematurely cuts off the last note.)

These ones sound great:

Flaming Lips - Do You Realize
    Morrissey - Suedehead
    Morrissey - Every Day is Like Sunday
    Sum 41 - Still Waiting
    U2 - Beautiful Day
    U2 - Stuck in a Moment (iTMS exclusive)

So, overall I'd say Apple has done a good job, but I'd be happier if we had the choice to download higher quality files. I also hope they develop a system for replacing badly encoded songs (although I won't hold my breath on that one).

14. BaghdadBob thread starter macrumors 6502a

BaghdadBob

Groovsonic -- you're gay :p Sorry, I had to :D

I haven't had hardly anything to gripe about with the audio, but I have had a "skip" like effect once or twice...hmm...

Groovsonic, again: having problems walking away? Tell me about it. The following brings me up to 50. I'm going to have to stop at that...too much good stuff....

Items in bold are mine, the rest are my good lady's. Two Geminis, whatcha gonna do....

The Jets -- You Got It All
    Foreigner -- Dirty White Boy
    Ted Nugent -- Stranglehold
    ZZ Top -- La Grange
    ZZ Top -- Tush
    Bell Biv DeVoe -- Poison
    Bell Biv DeVoe -- Do Me!
    Ralph Tresvant -- Public Figure (Ordinary G)
    Rage Against the Machine -- Testify
    Maxi Priest -- Close to You
    Judas Priest -- The Green Manalishi
    DMX -- Ruff Ryders' Anthem
    Lynyrd Skynyrd -- Gimme Three Steps
    Lynyrd Skynyrd -- Sweet Home Alabama
    Lynyrd Skynyrd -- Saturday Night Special
    Lynyrd Skynyrd -- What's Your Name
    Lynyrd Skynyrd -- You Got That Right
    UB40 -- Can't Help Falling in Love
    Note: NO FREAKIN RED WINE! WTF?
    Seal -- Kiss from a Rose
    Elvis Presley -- Love Me
    Rage Against the Machine -- Sleep Now in the Fire
    The Toadies -- Possum Kingdon
    Weezer -- Say it Ain't So
    Fuel -- Shimmer
    Fuel -- Bittersweet
    Live -- I Alone
    Seven Mary Three -- Cumbersome
    R.E.M. -- Losing My Religion

What did the guy in Forbes say? "Dangerously Addictive"? No kidding...sheesh...:eek:

15. GeeYouEye macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

Album:
    Eminem -The Eminem Show (I could never have gotten it before - my parents are... strict... about what CD's they'll let me buy.)

Song:
    Five for Fighting - Superman (the studio version is impossible to find complete on limewire)

16. chewbaccapits macrumors 6502a

chewbaccapits

I love the ITMS...I only bought ONE song...Pretty weak, I know, but I want to at least say I bought one and that was

Marc Anthony: Te Tengo Aqui

BTW, glad to see they have Morrissey on the music service...W00t!!

17. peterjhill macrumors 65816

peterjhill

Bruce's Philosophers Song - Monty Python

"Oh... Emmanuel Kant was a real pissant who was very rarely stable"

:D

18. BaghdadBob thread starter macrumors 6502a

BaghdadBob

19. bbarnhart macrumors 6502a

bbarnhart

I bought a song that I already own. Isn't that crazy? I did this to test the quality of the 128 bit AAC encoding to that of my MP3 encoding. But first, I have to get it to my PC at work and I need the QT 6.2 update. My speakers at home are not the best and the ones at work are top notch.

Also, I didn't find many songs I was looking for. Hopefully, Apple will add more, especially remixes, 80's, alternative stuff.

20. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

damn i never thought of that, how will apple prevent against young users buying explicit songs. wow good thinking, thats a smart was to slip it past your parents. well last night i bought about 200,000 songs, i cleared apple out.
    muhahahahaha

iJon

21. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

it sounds great on "america town" the album. ;)

22. joker2 macrumors 6502a

joker2

Sheryl Crow - "Soak Up the Sun"
    U2 - "Stuck in a Moment" (Acoustic Version) (Exclusive)
    Alabama - "Angels Among Us"
    Lonestar - "Amazed"
    Soul Asylum - "Runaway Train"

I was a little suprised that they didn't have Lonestar's "I'm already there" as they did have four other albums.

(edit) I'd started buying quite a few albums in the last two years, so I have most of what I would have bought online already on CD. (/edit)

23. technocoy macrumors 6502a

technocoy

i hope your joking...

----------------------------------------------
    I'm not an audiophile--I'm perfectly content listening to 160kbps MP3s--but these two tracks have such serious problems that I can't listen to them:

Bjork - Human Behaviour (There is a popping sound every 3-5 seconds--not terribly loud, but loud enough to make the song unenjoyable.)

Nine Inch Nails - Closer (Static for the first 45 sec of the song, which then disappears. Most of the rest of the song sounds ok, but some of the high pitched "electronic" sounds in the latter half of the song sound horrible. Also, the track ends about a second too early and prematurely cuts off the last note.)
    --------------------------------------------------

because both those sounds are in the original songs as well as cutting off the last note...

i'm sitting here with the cd's right now...

;)
    technocoy

24. pyknosis macrumors newbie

technocoy: Thanks for the info. I don't own either of those CDs, so I don't have any way of checking what the originals sound like. I'm actually not joking. Maybe I'm not describing what I perceive to be sound flaws correctly. On the Bjork track, I would liken the popping sound to listening to a dusty record (haven't done that since my early teens, but I vaguely remember the experience). I suppose it could be on the original, but I'd be surprised--I think it is annoying. If that's the way it is, I stand corrected. As for the NIN track, I think there is no arguing that songs like this with a lot of high-pitch synthesized sounds tend to suffer easily perceived compression artifacts at lower bitrates. Such sounds end up sounding "raspy," for lack of a better word. I think this particular song would probably sound better at a higher bit rate--I just wish Apple gave us the option. Not a huge deal. Overall, I'm happy with iTMS. :)

25. BaghdadBob thread starter macrumors 6502a

BaghdadBob

Buy The Fragile, it's worth it

Updates for me:

En Vogue -- Free Your Mind
    Mariah Carey -- Lullaby....THIS WAS AN ACCIDENT! Damn the simplicity of one-click buying. My finger slipped off the scrollbar, I swear!!!

Oh, and unlike much of the stuff I have bought, The Fragile is one of those must-have-entire-album-to-appreciate-fully albums. And I would buy it at the record store, but that's me (I like NIN packaging).

PS: I'm glad I finally have the one Seal song I like. It's little bits and pieces like this that make iTMS so cool. I may never blow $20 on an entire Seal album but I'll buy "Kiss From a Rose" in a heartbeat. OTOH, I have one UB40 song and it isn't "Red Red Wine". Once again, what the hell's goin on here?