What did you do for your SO for V-day?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by mactastic, Feb 16, 2007.

1. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Seeing this thread got me curious. How many of you make it a point to exchange cards/gifts on V-day?

My wife is a teacher, so I had a collegue who is a friend of ours buy some of the roses that one of the school clubs was selling, gave him a card, and had him deliver them to her in the morning.

Nothing too fancy, but it was appreciated.

2. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

i made a card from a photo that i made, and i printed some of her favourite photos as a big 8x12" pic.

3. aristobrat macrumors G4

4. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

I didnt do anything on Valentines day because it is total BS... just like most other holidays.

5. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

A card, and sent roses to the school (my wife is a school teacher also). She gave me a card, and cooked my favorite dinner for me.

6. ezzie macrumors 68020

ezzie

my husband didn't do anything for me....at all...

so i did nothing back.

i'm starting to not like valentine's day. truth be told, it's never been a favorite to begin with... :(

7. comictimes macrumors 6502a

comictimes

my girlfriend and I are on opposite sides of the country (until May! gah! i don't even get to go back for spring break!), so I couldn't do flowers or anything, but I did mail her a DVD of Amélie along with a card I made, tucked into an origami heart. It worked, and she was quite happy.

Also, she sent me a card with a poem she wrote in it, along with a bunch of inside jokes and such... it was wondrous.

I agree Valentine's Day is a ******** Hallmark holiday, but it's always nice to have a chance to remind your SO that you still love them.

8. emmawu macrumors 6502

I gave my husband a pound of his favorite candy, a pound of jumbo cashews, the DVD of "The Departed" and the 23rd anthology of Science Fiction short stories (his favorite) and made his favorite dinner.

He got me a gig of RAM for my iBook, some dark chocolate and the DVD of "Love Actually". We has a very nice time. (He's the best guy in the world) :)

9. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

I'm the luckiest guy, ever!

I asked my wife on Sunday "Are we doing anything for Valentines day?"

Which got a reply of "Not that I know of, is there something you were thinking of?"

Now most guys would figure that this meant they had to do something. Knowing my wife it meant, we're being cheap this year (with our second daughter on the way and her wanting to take an extended leave from work this is a good thing).

Typically birthdays, anniversary, Christmas, and any other gift giving holiday means about a month before the event we decide on a dollar amount that we each get to spend on ourselves outside of our "allowance" (the money we allocate to each other every month that we spend at our individual discretion). We then go buy something for ourselves with this money (using the allowance to cover any overages).

Since my wife enjoys shopping and getting exactly what she wants it works well for us. If I could figure out how I managed to convince my wife that this system was great I could have a best selling book on my hands. Unfortunately I have no clue how I managed to pull this off.

10. Kup macrumors member

Nine of us went to see 2 Live Crew at the strip club. Can't get much more romantic than that! :D

11. MarkCollette macrumors 68000

MarkCollette

I lured this girl out into a park at night where she would be guarranteed to get cold, just so I could then suggest that she come over to my place afterwards, to warm up ;)

The trick didn't work - she already wanted to come over :)

12. Tanglewood macrumors 6502a

Tanglewood

No SO though I get roses for all my single girl friends.

13. Angelus macrumors 6502

I gave my girlfriend a single rose.
    She also has been taking my 1G shuffle and using it as a memory key so i decided to buy her a small memory key. I put it in a paper mache box in the shape of a heart. Then i made a slide show of pictures of us since we've being going out and saved it onto the disk for her to find.

14. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Working slowly through a breakup so I was particularly negligent to those I care about this year. :eek: Usually, a nice card and fun little knick knack for my mom (since she works in a cubicle, it's nice to get little doodads she can see).

When I am in a relationship? I don't think it's appropriate to post here. :eek:

15. mac-convert macrumors 6502a

mac-convert

It's a long distance relationship here, but she got a dozen long-stem red roses! Last year they were yellow, arranged.

16. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

^^Yeah, I have a long distance relationship as well. :(

I took this photo (shown below), got it printed and framed, and mailed her the box of chocolate in the photo, along with the frame + photo. I also included a burnt CD with a video message, just so that she could see me and hear my voice. :)

Attached Files:

17. TheDance511 macrumors 6502

good make it work...dont let anyone ever tell you it cant work or it wont work never give up..you two will be happy:)

18. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

19. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

My wife was away traveling last week, and I had a dentist appointment on V-day. She took by a box of Rocher and a card for me, and it was waiting in the room as a surprise when I got there. Pretty cool.

20. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

o_O

i think its implied ;]

21. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

Well, I'm in a long distance relationship, but my GF came down here the weekend before VD-day. Wait, I mean, V-day. Wow, that sounds wrong.

Anyways!

So, even though we had a policy of no gifts, and blah blah blah, I lied and said I wouldn't be home when she got here from the airport, but I had some flowers, and some nice vegan chocolates and jewelry here. Because even if Valentine's Day is a manufactured holiday, it's just one more excuse to show her I love 'er.

Yay!

AND THEN WE MADE THE BEAST WITH TWO BACKS!

22. Mammoth macrumors 6502a

Mammoth

I don't have an SO. :(

I did get a nice girl a stuffed rabbit (inside thing) and some candy.:eek:
    But the day after she said she didn't want to be any more than friends. :(

23. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

Look, I'm not one to judge, but if someone killed a rabbit and pumped it full of chocolate and then gave it to me as a gift... well, I'd try and say away from them.

Oh... unless you mean it was a stuffed rabbit as in a plush toy.

24. Mammoth macrumors 6502a

Mammoth

Yeah that kind.

25. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

I gave a girl who I've liked for about 5 months a rose. It was addressed anonymously with my phone number on it, then I asked her out...and she REJECTED me :( Damn that idea...