What Did You Get for the Holidays?

Discussion in 'Community' started by themadchemist, Dec 25, 2003.

1. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

To follow up on cr2sh's 'What Do You Want for Christmas?' thread, here is the 'What Did You Get?" thread. Now that the dust (and discarded wrapping paper) has settled and we stand in the aftermath of the gifts displaying our not-at-all-earned spoils, let's show them off.

So, what did you get? And was it what you wanted? Pictures, please!

I'll go first. Number of gifts-wise, I didn't get that many. But the gifts themselves are great. I got a Minolta Dimage XT and a 128 MB flash card for it. The Dimage XT just looks incredible--I think of it as the iPod of the digital camera world. It's small, sleek, and packs a punch. Very good looking camera and it feels good in your hand. I haven't taken any pictures yet, but I will soon. I'm think I'm waiting for the perfect pic with which to begin.

I mentioned to my dad that I wanted a digital camera and when I got home, he seemed really intent on the Casio Exilim S20. It's a great camera, no doubt, but the Dimage had caught my eye. My dad had liked the Dimage X a while back, but though that the Exilim's thinner form factor was better than the Dimage XT's. We read a lot of reviews, though, and he came to agree that the Dimage XT was better, after we poured through all the specs and what not. He told me, though, that because we had delayed, it was sold out on Amazon and everywhere else before we could buy it. So going into Christmas, I didn't think Iwas going to get anything. My dad asked me if I wanted anything else, from the payment of some shareware fee to a packet of M&M's (I think the latter was really just to annoy me).

Of course, he had bought it a couple days before without telling me. So this morning it was quite a surprise to open the wrapping paper and find the Dimage. I must admit that I had suspected it, but it was great to actually have it in my hands after my dismayed presumption that I would be empty-handed this Christmas.

So what are your gift-getting stories?

2. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

I got a lot of kitchen type things for my new apartment. Not something you rip open and say WOW, but useful nonetheless.

Also, a stone face carving, that you pull a tissue out of the nose. Interesting....

must have been cuz the ipods were sold out...

3. themadchemist thread starter macrumors 68030

themadchemist

that stone face carving actually sounds pretty cool...have a pic?

Yeah, it's too bad Apple had some trouble keeping up with demand. I was worried that was going to happen.

I, however, was able to get my hands on an iPod for Christmas: Two years ago. :D

4. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

well, i've only had one of our two christmas's so far, my family will be this weekend. but at RJ's family, i got the Indiana Jones DVD set, a cute set of red wine glasses, and gift certificates which bought me a fabulous pair of luckies (that make my ass look great) and a cute tight t-shirt. So, made out pretty well...

i predict this weekend at my family, we'll get about $50 in gift certificates, and a garbage bag full of overstock sams-club food (my grandma has taken to giving us this, i think she hates us). my family = the cheap ones.

:D
    paul

5. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

i got 200 pounds of chorizo.

i freebase on chorizo.

must support my 354 dollar a day chorizo habit.

:D

6. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

My mom & dad decided to split a gift for me this year & got me a 40GB iPod. :D

I spent a couple hours last night going thru my 11,500+ song library & managed to put about 1500 songs on it for now. ;)

If anyone's got some recommendations as to FM adapters for the car, lemme know.

7. yzeater macrumors regular

Sennheiser HD 280 Pro's
    New Head Ski boots
    Fischer Skis
    Marker bindings
    Scott poles
    2 way radios
    Nordstrom undershirts

Very good christmas

8. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

9. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

I got a bunch of clothes (what I asked for actually ), xbox controller, cool shot glass from my sister, I only have to return two sweaters which is the least in recent years .... I got Pirates of the Caribbean and a few bux too last night

10. vniow macrumors G4

Lets see....

As an early present, I got a 900Mhz G3 iBook combo drive (Best Buy had a killer deal for $699 and my old one had been degrading for awhile so I couldn't resist), a gliding chair to replace the wicker one which is falling apart in my room, a smoothie machine (yum), a bag to hold my makeup, a very cool CD holder and bunches of candy (more yum)

Oh, and the fact that I have a full-time job now is nice although my boss is a fruitcake...

11. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

interesting comment there, i'm glad everyone enjoyed their presents

12. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

cool for you man!

40 gigs... im jealous hah. i only have a lowly 20 gig.... but i still love it!

11,500 songs on your mac?... dang. your powerbook? how does your computer fair with all them mp3s? i had to clear my powerbook of mp3s because it was cloggin my machine up. at the moment i only have 958 songs on my ipod thats because i havent bothered to put all my jams on it yet.

so you are going to go the FM adapter route for sure for car setup?
    i've managed to connect my ipod to my alpine reciever in my celica.... through the cd changer connection... (belkin adapter, rca cables, rca to cd changer connection cable etc.).... it works really well... no sound issues.

the fm adapter route is risky especially in big cities. i hear there are issues concerning disrupted reception... which is why i went the route i did on ipod car hook up.

however.... perhaps you are sensitive about doing anything to your matrix considering you probably have warranty on it still.

let me know whats up.

anyways enjoy your 40giger man!

;)

13. alphaone macrumors 6502

The iTrip. It's simply the best out there.

14. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Computer-wise, I'm about ready to enjoy my new Minolta 35mm film scanner and 1.1KVA UPS. Besides that, there were some household and food items and a couple t-shirts.

I hope everyone is having a good holiday season.

15. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I gave myself Evocam, the webcam software, which I'll use with my iSight.

I also got (as a belated birthday present) the book "How to Build a Time Machine" by Paul Davies, described as "A quick lucid romp through wormholes, naked singularities, alternative universes, cosmic strings, exotic matter, negative energy, imaginary mass, gravitational time dilation, rising entropy and falling information." Pretty good for 132 pages.

16. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

wow sounds like a fun dense book.

enjoy man!

;)

17. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

It's been a while since we last talked man. I bought a 17" iMac back in March, so I've got the Ti & the iMac. My music's on an external 120GB firewire HD, thusly freeing up my hard drives on both of my machines. ;)

I actually have an Aux mode on the receiver in my Matrix, but need to find out how to connect to it. I didn't want to have to go too deep into taking it apart & such to get a connection, so I thought a transmitter would be easier. Thanks for the tip though, I'll see what else I can do.

18. coopdog macrumors 6502a

Well my birthday is the 22nd so I get a bunch of stuff this time of year.

I got:
    120 Gig SATA HD
    8X DVD Burner
    Fan Speed Controler

Nikon Coolpix digital camera
    -128MB chip
    -Insurance
    -Batteries

Nice Sony Headphones
    Guinness World Records 2004
    Ski Jacket
    Ski Helmet
    Ski Backback

A few PS2 games
    -SOCOM 2
    -Tony Hawk Underground

Money, clothes and other stuff

The coolest looking gift:
    BUGS!
    My uncle got thoes, and about 10 framed butterflies, and about 10 framed very colorful bettles when he went into the malaysian jungles. :eek:

And check out my PC with the new Lights!

19. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

Yeah, it looks like that might be the winner. I did some research, and there doesn't seem to be a way for me to hook it up to the "aux" on my Matrix's receiver.

Now the trick is to find one locally. :eek:

20. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

No no, an iTrip is great in the car, because it's quick and easy, but you should always use a hard connection if you can-- you'll notice a serious loss of quality with a modulator. And, possibly, a high-pitched whine which gets annoying, if you don't have ambient (traffic) noise to hide it. What type of input does your Matrix have? My guess would be component, in which case all you need is a minijack -> component adapter... about $10 or so :) but there has got to be a way to pump music into your Matrix...

:)
    paul

21. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I didn't know you were employed now. Glad to hear it. What kind of work?

22. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I'm gonna try it out if I can find one tomorrow. Anything I've read basically says I cannot directly to the receiver in my car, or I'd need another part to do it & a pain of work. :eek:

23. jalagl macrumors 6502a

jalagl

I didn't get many geek toys this Xmas, but I really liked the presents I got:
    • Nice Sunglasses
    • 48-CD case and 50 CD-R spindle
    • Couple of really nice shirts
    • Warcraft III Battle Chest
    And regarding presents I give ... a friend of mine just bought her first car, so I wanted to give her something for it. For fun, I got her one of those odor things that hang from the rearview mirror - she opened and tried to look as if she liked, until I told her it was a joke and gave her the real present - one of those CD cases that go in the car's visor, along with the new Sarah Mclachlan CD, which she loved. The look on her face was priceless when she opened the first gift ...

24. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

-2 necklaces which are nice
    -1 shirt which I will never wear :)rolleyes: :eek: ;))
    -1 mobile phone which is awesome (picture phone, etc, etc, etc)
    -A pen which looks kind of cool, but will probably only be used once or twice
    -2 Books (1 book about Asia and another called Eragon)
    -1 Book my grandfather wrote for his grandchildren about his views on life, and what he wants us to learn from him. It is a really nice book that includes family geneology charts and pictures.
    -USB Bluetooth Adapter
    -A hackey sack
    -A coconut macaroon. But I dont like chocolate or coconut, so this wasn't the best gift :p :D.

But the best gift I got was a present my mom got for my dad.
    My mom got my dad a 1GHz 17" iMac with 768 megs of RAM and a 120GB HD. My dad isn't home all that much, and when he is he isn't on the computer most of the time, so this is basically a new computer for me; and I have been dying to remove myself from the PC world ;).

It was an awesome christmas! :D

scem0

scem0