What did you think of the keynote?

Discussion in 'Event Archives' started by yagran, Jan 9, 2007.

What did you think of the keynote?

1. Amazing. beyond expectations.

50 vote(s)
  2. Good. As expected

40 vote(s)
  3. Poor. Missing something i wanted

94 vote(s)
  4. Let Down. Overall depressing

46 vote(s)
  1. macrumors 6502a

Jan 8, 2007
    Brighton, East Sussex, UK
    So whats your opinion, personally i think it was to focused on the iphone...
    im in the uk so it doesnt come out here for ages...GREAT. and no new software, not even an update, that blows. Iphone looks great tho. Also the Apple TV seems altoghether useless to me? why does it need a 40gb hard drive and processor if it connects wirelessly to computers? surely streaming would have been more clever? and tey didnt even updated the screens to work properly with it! And itunes store UK still has no movies!!! GRRR. Pointless fo anyone in the uk in my opinion, whats the point of it? big whoop i can watch my music thru my crappy tv speakers ?? :confused: :mad:
  2. macrumors member

Feb 8, 2005
    I really wanted to see something about Leopard and there was no metion. :mad:
  3. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jan 8, 2007
    when he said were releasing three new products today, i was like 'oh thats cool, a fair few then'. then he goes 'but there all in the iphone', i ddnt know what to think, did he expect me to be happy they were only releasing 1 instead of 3 products. :(
  4. macrumors 6502

Jan 5, 2007
    I was disappointed that there was nothing for the Mac. Even just release dates/months for Leopard and iWork 07 would have sated me.

The iPhone is cool, but it's too expensive and has far too little memory for me to actually consider buying it.
  5. macrumors 6502

Nov 15, 2006
    AppleTV is interesting, but the phone is way too expensive for me. 802.11n doesn't help me because I have a Core Duo Macbook Pro which apparently doesn't upgrade to "N" like the Core 2 Duos.

No news on iLife, Leopard, iPods, etc.

Not much for me to be excited about.
  6. macrumors newbie

Aug 5, 2006
    Vermillion, SD
    This has to be the worst MacWorld in my recollection. I was super excited to see a Leopard demo, and to order iLife '07 and iWork '07. Especially iWork, which I use all the time.

The name change scares me. The iPhone is useless to me since it is super expensive, and Cingular won't touch South Dakota with a 200 mile pole.

And the Apple tv? Please. If it had DVR capability, I'd be on board. But, everything has to go through iTunes.

My only highlight of the day wasn't even in the keynote, and that's the new AirPort Extreme Base Station. I'll probably get one of those sometime this Spring when I get married. Oh well.

This was a sad day that I got way too excited for. I fear the Mac is getting replaced by Steve's stupid little toy called iPhone.
  7. macrumors member

Dec 12, 2006
    No ultra light laptop :mad: :(
    No new screens :(
    No leopard :mad:
    And I care less with phones :mad: :mad: :mad:
  8. macrumors 68000

Oct 17, 2006
    I could not disagree more. There is nothing wrong with a focused keynote. In fact, it is somewhat refreshing once and a while to have a situation where the man himself takes the time to really go into what I believe is one of the most revolutionary concepts I have seen. Not only is it functional, but aesthetically it is amazing. The price is high if you were expecting them to give it away, but the fact is they have pulled it off and brought mobile technology to the next level and far beyond.
  9. macrumors 6502

Nov 15, 2006
    Well, then get one of the Apple nugs to demo the rest of the stuff that people are obviously interested in. If you aren't into the phone, there really wasn't much to see here.
  10. macrumors newbie

Feb 26, 2006
    First impressions

This is my first time witnessing a live Macworld. I made the switch early last year and have become more addicted since. I was hoping for an update to the Mac Pro. A price drop, Cores maybe. Some More Juiciness about Leopard. I think the iPhone is really cool! I'm not that interested tho. I'm happy for everyone that has been dreaming of one.

I found the announcement of the name change to be scary. Obviously this keynote is a good example of how they are dropping the "computer" focus on the company. Which is kinda cool in a way but scary too. Just when I start getting into this whole thing they switch focus? I hope this isn't as bad as I think it could be.

I'm voted on disappointed but I am not totally bummed. I still think it was a great keynote. And I still think Steve and Apple are "Wicked cool". I can't wait to see the video.:cool:
  11. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jan 8, 2007
    iPhone - i think we maybe put to much pressure for them to announce it today... i mean it still needs to be accepted by FCA and its not coming out in england until Q4! I was so excited to buy one today! and its not as if i can even buy one form the usa and unlock it because of its integration with the cingular network...god im annoyed and upset

edit: also i would say the price for hem is fair as ive never seen such truely amazing technology, i.e multitouchscreens for that price range. and storage level is great for a phone..replaces me nano and moto pebl as soon as it gets to the uk...IN LIKE A BILLION YEARS. i waited long enough for it to be announced and i saved up my money, and u just tease me apple!!!!!! GRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  12. macrumors regular

Jun 7, 2005
    Manchester, UK
    I have been very rude about phones on previous posts, but I also said (check those posts!) that if it integrated a touch-screen vPod and Blackberry style capability, it would be cool. Which it is! And yes its expensive, but so were top range iPods. Leopard will come. More importantly, personal electronics have jsut changed.
  13. macrumors regular

Jan 16, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    Apple TV = $300 that ONLY streams iTunes content. Why not stream Safari as well as other programs? For $300, it had better do more than just stream iTunes content.

iPhone - I was amazed at how cool the phone was. However, Cingular is the only carrier. Why not others? Also, I'm not paying over $300 for a cell phone. I know it does other stuff, but for $600+, it's starting to sound like a PS3.

Where the heck is Leopard? Where the heck is the 12" MBP? If they would've talked about those two things, I would have been in debt by now! Overall, the Keynote was a bit disappointing. I guess there's always the next event . . . when is it?
  14. macrumors 65816

Jan 19, 2006
    North Carolina, US
    This keynote was a huge letdown for me. Sure I think the iPhone looks amazing and it has me considering a switch to Cingular to get one.
    When I saw that the keynote was going to be 2 hours this time, I was super stoked. I just knew it was going to be jam-packed with new products, speed bumps on the computer lines, demos of leopard and iLife, etc. he spent 2 WHOLE HOURS talking about 2 products. I simply can't believe that. I know Steve wants to pimp out the iPhone as much as possible, but come on. Where was the "one more thing", etc? Sure there were really 3 things with the airport basestation being thrown in there without an announcement, but NOTHING that was discussed is available for immediate shipping.

I've been anticipating this for months since the announcement of quad core processors in hopes of getting an 8 core Mac Pro on order today. I've been saving up and keeping my credit clear just for that purchase and I've been extremely disappointed.

My only hope now is that since the quad cores are being released this week that they'll do a refresh soon down the line.
  15. macrumors 68000

Mar 9, 2006
    From Canada, living in Seoul
    I was expecting iLife and iWork 07, but I am not overly disappointed that it wasn't mentioned.

I am, however, pretty upset that there was no mention of Leopard. I wasn't expecting a release today, but maybe even a release date.

The iPhone is amazing and shows how much Apple is ahead of the game, but I have no use for a phone. It would be cool if the next iPod had the same features, sans phone capability, especially Google Maps, because I never know where the hell I'm going.

I wasn't expecting any updates to the portable lines or iMacs, or even the iPod really.

The main focus of my excitement for today was Leopard, and not even a single mention! I'm glad they're not pushing it out before it's ready, but jeez!
  16. Guest

Feb 17, 2003
    Hitchin, Herts, UK
    I should thank Steve Jobs for a Keynote that saved me money and didn't have me lusting after something. Amount to be spent as a result of this keynote - £0

AppleTV - pointless.
    iPhone - beautiful. I'm NEVER spending that much on a phone. EVER.
    New Airport Extreme - cost twice what it should.
  17. macrumors 65816

Jun 30, 2004
    This is the first MWSF in years where there is not a single product, hardware or software, that is ready to ship today.

It's so dissapointing that there was no Leopard, iWork, iLife, not to mention the lack of any actual computer hardware updates.

Like others have mentioned, I care little for AppleTV and a phone that might not be available to buy where I live (UK) for nearly a year. Don't even know why he bothered mentioning a product that won't be ready to ship in any region for half a year, much less spending 90 minutes of a keynote on it.

Worst. MWSF. Ever.
  18. macrumors member

Sep 16, 2006
    Mountains of No. California
    Apple Inc Vs. Apple Computer

I have an Apple Computer. I want upgrades to that as well as software for it. I don't want a telephone or a TV streaming device. What I want is Apple Computer to get back to building great computers and software to run on it. In short, I like Apple Computer Inc, I'm not very happy with Apple Inc!!:mad:
  19. macrumors 6502a

Jan 3, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    My fellow Chicago mac user makes a good point ... I too found the name change disconcerting. It seems like Steve is setting us up for a time in the near future when OS-X will be set free to appear on any Intel box and Apple will stop making computers, focusing instead on OS-X based entertainment and communications devices. Mac World isn't even about the Mac anymore.

But still, there will be many, many more Steve announcement keynotes this year ... there's the Leopard/iWork/iLife release still to come. There will be WWDC. Will we have Mac-based keynotes anymore? Maybe not. Now that they've shifted to Intel and there's no surprise left, unless a new form factor is introduced, changes may come regularly and quietly.
  20. macrumors 65816

Dec 9, 2006
    North-East, UK
    The keynote was terrible.

It's called "MacWorld" yet there was nothing in there about the mac. Just this little toy that dosn't really interest me that much called the "iPhone" and the "Apple TV".

I was desperate to see iLife 07, as I'm going to a place where there is an Apple store, and I really wanted to buy it then. For the very first time, Apple have actually disappointed me. :(
  21. macrumors 6502a

Jul 29, 2004
    I think the keynote was a bust. Waaaaaaaaayyyy to much time spent on the frickin' iPhone, and I'm the perfect demographic for it. My iPod 4Gen just died, and my Samsung Cingular cell is on the fritz, but there is no way in hell I'm paying $600 for a nano/phone combo. 8gig is not enough space, especially when you start putting any video content on there. Thanks Steve, I'll pass...:confused:
  22. macrumors newbie

Jan 9, 2007
    I wasn't sure what to expect, and wasn't really wishing for anything in particular, so, I thought the Keynote was so-so. Great features on the iPhone, but, why announce it 6 months in advance after so much hype? And why Cingular, possibly the worst phone company on Earth? And why is Yahoo necessary for email? Boy, I bet the contract for this phone will require that you hire a Lawyer with all these corporations providing 3rd party services. YUCKO!

iTV was interesting, but, I just don't get it. A crippled, iTunes-only DVR for $300 that has only 40 GB storage?? Did I miss something? Does it do anything else but stream media? Didn't the Airport Express do that for half the price? Did you see the System Requirements just to use this thing?

• Widescreen (16:9) enhanced definition or high definition television with an HDMI, DVI, or component video input
    • Wired or wireless network
    • iTunes 7 or later
    • Broadband Internet connection (fees may apply)
    • Macintosh computer with Mac OS X v10.3.9 or later; or PC with Windows XP Home or Professional (SP2).

I didn't feel this way when the iPod was announced. THAT was revolutionary and made me want to buy an iPod immediately. This, not so much.
  23. macrumors 65816

Jan 23, 2003
    Southern California
    Definitely disappointing. Not so much in what was presented, but in what was left out.

iPhone and Apple TV were about what I expected. Not interested in either of them as they stand, though a few tweaks to Apple TV could have had me feverishly ordering one today. Too bad. I'd love the internet capability of the iPhone while on the go, but definitely not at that price + contract. And I don't need the phone part, I still don't even own a cell phone... :D

iPhone took up way too much of the keynote. Yeah it's cool, it has a ton of features. I get it. But boy, is Steve in love with that thing or what? :p

Missing in action were:

• Leopard progress report - were those features "top secret" or just "vaporware"?
    • iLife
    • iWork (new spreadsheet?)
    • Mac updates - C2D Mac mini, 8-way Mac Pro, or something new??
    • Display updates - with built-in iSight??
    • Apple Computer (Rest In Peace)

This really brings up the question about Leopard - where/when will Steve demo it before release? The schedule is spring, so it should be no later than June 20th. They won't just release it without demoing final versions of stuff we already saw, plus the unannounced so-called Top Secret features. So, when?
  24. macrumors newbie

Jan 9, 2007
    The Future . . .

I think what most people are missing is that we've seen the future of the iPod with the iPhone. Look for a revamp of the iPod by the end of the year or early next. Same size but with the features of the iPhone but without the iPhone stuff. The new iPod interface is slick and Apple's not going to limit it to just the iPhone. The rest of us who are locked into contracts with Verizon and Sprint, or don't want an all-in-one deal still want the cool features of the new iPhone. I wouldn't be surprised if we see a revamp of the enitre line. iPhone, iPDA(no phone but PDA like features), iPod, iTablet, etc. all based on this new technology.

It's too cool to think it will stay only on the iPhone. That's what I think anyway.
  25. macrumors 6502a

Aug 2, 2005
    On an island in Maine
    I too was disappointed with the keynote today.

The iPhone is a great device, but nothing that I'd buy. If they get rid of the phone capabilities and make it a real video iPod with wifi, I'd be all over it. Plus the whole cingular thing is a downer. On the whole though it was a good announcement for Apple and I'm sure it will revolutionize the cell phone industry.

The iTV is lame. All it is is a front row interface to your computer with a hard drive. Nothing really exciting there. Like others have mentioned, add in Web browsing, a DVD drive, the ability to record TV onto the hard drive, then maybe it would be worth the $300 price tag.

And removing Computers from the name makes sense, but it doesn't bode well for the computers part of Apple.

As for not having 10.5 info, I'm actually glad that they didn't. Vista is just out of the box. Let Vista cool off a little before Apple blows it out of the water. We don't want Microsoft stealing Apple's thunder with their 3-years-too-late OS. It'd be like if Apple released the iPhone right after the Zune thing came out.