What did you want to be when you grew up?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Doctor Q, Feb 7, 2005.

1. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

As you were growing up, what job or profession did you always imagine you'd have?

Did it work out that way? Are you still headed that way?

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

As a kid I went through phases from:

Dancer to painter to astronomer back to painter... now graphic designer (print).

3. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I recall changing my mind several times, but the only career plan I can actually remember is -- economist. You know, on the news, when they report that "economists say" the rise in unemployment was due to this or that or the other thing. I wanted to be that guy.

Needless to say, that didn't exactly work out. Second-year college math, coupled with actual economics classes, pointed me to becoming an English major. Now I'm a writer.

4. emw macrumors G4

emw

I remember riding in a car with my grandfather when I was 9 years old and him asking me what I wanted to be. I told him I wanted to build robots.

14 years ago I graduated with a BS in Mechanical Engineering - and with several "robotics-related" courses under my belt.

Of course, by then, I had become somewhat disillusioned with the whole thing, and ended up taking a job with a printing company, designing press modifications, etc. From there I got into graphic design, color management, PDF workflow, process improvement, etc.

So today I'm sitting in a meeting in Florida discussing the technical aspects of the next version of ISO 15930-6 (PDF/X-3). Not quite what I'd dreamed of 24 years ago sitting in my grandfather's car. But at least it's warm.

5. Timelessblur macrumors 65816

Timelessblur

Well at one point I wanted to be a Asturnot (Still would like to be one) By 3-4th grade I believe I had desided I wanted to be an engineer. Now what type of enginneer took me up until year or so after I got out of high school before I desided I wanted to civil but I knew back in third grade I wanted to do something with math and sciences

6. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

When I was a kid, I wanted to rule the world.

I'm still heading towards that.

7. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

An architect. I drew all sorts of buildings as a child, and took four years of drafting in high school so that I could go to design school. That was when I found out you can't get into any decent design school without having better artistic skills...

8. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I was a person that just did average in school. Didn't really have any profession in mind. Then during my Junior year in high school my English teacher gave us an assignment, it was to write a paper on our future job. It caused me frustration at first. My mother told me that her father, who was a telegrapher on the railroad, had encouraged a local boy to become a funeral director. Never found out how that connection occurred.

My mother took me to visit him at the funeral home, which he owned. He was very helpful with information for my paper. That was it, my goal was to be a Funeral Director. He offered me a job the summer after graduation from high school. Needless to say my interest in school and grades improved.

I entered college and then Mortuary Science College. After graduation did an internship an passed the state Funeral Director's license exam. Prior to graduation took the national Embalmers Exam. I graduated Magna Cum Laude. Also worked at a second funeral home. It ended up not working that well with my personality.

It seems that things work out for the best. My mother was a Nurse, so on the spot decided to be a Nurse. It was the best decision that I ever made. What a great joy to be able to help others.

9. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

In elementary school, I wanted to be a teacher, inspired by a wonderful 4th grade teacher. I also wanted to be a mathematician, although I didn't really know what a mathematician did all day... math homework problems, I figured.

By 8th grade, I wanted to be a journalist too (not instead). That's when I had my own weekly comedy newspaper (I sold subscriptions to classmates) and was in the school's journalism class.

In high school, I discovered computers and decided I wanted to be a programmer.

Now I'm a programmer, I do math projects for fun, I teach students and teachers how to use computers at a local school, and I write articles for the school newsletter (and lots of posts at MacRumors). So I guess I ended up doing a little of everything I had in mind.

10. iGary Guest

iGary

Elementary through high school I wanted to be a marine biologist or wildlife biologist.

I got lost in college....and ended up being an editor and photographer.

Never would have guessed it. :eek:

11. brap macrumors 68000

First off, I wanted to be in the Air Force... then someone decided to persuade me against it, succesfully. Thanks. Next up, architect, followed by engineer of some kind. Made some really bad decisions as to courses at college, so I'm now a qualified programmer. And I hate it. Studying History to get some kind of grounding (with my dissertation on architecture), ready myself for that oh-so inevitable office job.

Seriously though, lack of guidance in education has f**ked me over so many times, I've wasted many [the best] years doing things I hate and/or are completely useless, uninteresting, uninspiring and downright degrading. I'm still quite, no, wait, I'm very f**king bitter.

I think underneath it all I still yearn to have the opportunity to be an engineer, or architect, someone who has to manipulate data - use the brain everyone said I had when I was 16 - but I'd have to start from the very beginning (read: 6 years ago). Really can't face it.

Wow. This is getting close to an epiphany, you know?

12. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

I wanted to be an astronaut, but after the Challenger disaster, I changed my mind. Also I am myopic and slightly retarded, so that ruled me out from that profession.

13. iGary Guest

iGary

Wow, I really couldn't do that, but i am glad there are people out there like you that can, and enjoy it.

Don't the aspects of working around corpses and death become too much at times, or is that something you just get used to? yo udon't have to answer if you don't want, but I am curious. :confused:

14. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

:D :D :D

I think this one wins so far.

As for me, I'm kinda still debating... I'm a junior in high school right now, and am planning on maybe web design? Can anyone give me an insight as to how popular the business is, how hard it'll be to find a job, salary, etc.? My freshman year I wanted to build/repair computers, sophomore year I wanted to be an engineer (a kid I looked up to graduated and is working on his degree), and now I (think) I've decided on web design of some sort. I love it, and I'm not too shabby at it. (My current homepage isn't that great, I'm working on a new version.)

15. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

16. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I wanted to be a samurai warrior first. That didn't exactly work out but I am the type to protect others, despite my shortness. :D

After that, I decided that being a pharmacist or concert pianist would be good. At the end of high school, I wanted to be an interpreter/translator. After a break from school and some desire to study again, I learned software development and digital electronics and I'd been there until recently. Right now, I'm doing photography and some graphic (print) design.

17. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

After my initial disappointment with being a spaceman, I did want to become a ninja. I had the whole black mask down, and the silent ninja moves. I even owned a few ninja stars and swords. I ended up in a desk job and gained 30 pounds.

18. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Not entirely true. I got into a pretty good architecture school with (what I consider to be) terrible hand drawing skills. And now that I'm graduated and working in the field, the pretty drawings are nice and all, but your CAD skill and you knowledge of code, appliances, and other technical aspects are at the core of what I do. I spend very little time sketching by hand. Of course, I'm no Frank Gehry either.

Back on topic however, I wanted to design houses when I was little so things worked out pretty well for me so far. :p

19. makisushi macrumors 6502

In elementary school, I wanted to be a marine biologist, later in high school, I wanted to be a chef. I college, I started in Poli Sci, switched to Bio Chem, then to Culinary arts, and finished with a BFA in art., needless to say, i was on the 5 year plan.

I did the big design firm thing for a couple of years, now I own a business in a completly unrelated field.

One day, I hope to be a marine biologist.

20. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

How do you feel about the Santa Cruz area? ;)

I thought about being a chef too. Then I decided that the hours sucked.

21. makisushi macrumors 6502

I love the Santa Cruz Area, my Dad's cousin owns a bookstore there.

Chef hours do suck, I worked as a sushi chef to pay for college. I think if I were to do it now, my wife would divorce me.

22. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

as a kid, i wanted to be a pilot of a prop plane (fueled by WWII tv shows) but by high school i wanted to be a rock and roll musician and make a living at it

though i did music for nearly 25 years, on and off, it was just a hobby and i didn't get paid much over the years...i played for free a lot but that was fine with me since it was mostly fun

in college, where i didn't want to be, i was a business major, then english major, took five years off, and went back to studying business and finished up with degrees in liberal studies and then in personnel management/labor law but i couldn't imagine myself in that field

now ten years later, after a short stint for 6 years as a techie, i plan to get back into the personnel field/labor law field in some capacity...nothing big but maybe as an associate for a law firm in that field before private practice...when i took a class in labor law, the professor was an administrative law judge (only a few hundred in the usa) and i was highly impressed by his occupation but my inability and unwillingness to go that far or endure that type of stress makes me admire powerful judges from afar

23. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

My dream IS tp fly tomcats, raptor, or the Hornet since I am in 9th grade. But, of course it is hard to actually get the job of flying jets since you go were the Navy tells you to go and I would be risking my life. But, I would be risking it for my country so that isn't a big factor. I heard believe it or not it is hard to be able to fly the tomcat. That you must go through top gun to fly a tomcat. I first hated the tomcat but, after playing Ace Combat 5 and watching the history channel about it gained a lot of respect from me.

PS: for the people who don't fighter jet codenames, the Tomcat is the F-14, the Hornet is F-18, and the Raptor is F-22.

24. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Working with the bodies didn't bother me at all. It was something that had no effect on me from the beginning, the summer after high school. So it just reinforced the feeling that I had made the right decision at the time. I found the difficulty to be working with families. Being an introvert, just made it more difficult. So nursing just was a better fit for my personality. I like the one on one aspect, the feeling that I'm making a difference in someone's life. Does this answer your question?

25. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

the jets never interested me, i liked the f4u corsair, the p-47 thunderbolt, and the b-17 flying fortress...i did learn as i got older, in the 1970s, that the only way i could fly those in action would be to fly for a south american or southeast asian air force ;)

but i did get to see the flying fortress actually fly in an airshow...wow, what an amazing sight