What difference will I see coming from a PC to a MAC with gaming?

Discussion in 'Games' started by GIZBUG, Oct 29, 2006.

1. GIZBUG macrumors 65816

GIZBUG

Looking at the mac pro (3.0ghz with the ATI card, as it is more powerful than the nvidia one shipped with it). What differences will I see running games (ie. WOW, Madden 2007, Company of Heroes, Half Life, etc) when using Windows XP w/ bootcamp on the Mac Pro? Will there be that much of a difference from what I run now (2.8ghz intel, 1 gig ram, 6800gt video card, windows xp pc) ?

Comments welcomed.

2. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Why do people seem to think bootcamp is emulation... it's native, OK?

The difference you see will be massive. It will pwnz0r j00r b0xx0r. Well and truly. When you're done with your MP, mind lending it to me? :D

3. GIZBUG thread starter macrumors 65816

GIZBUG

Found a post saying "Company of Heroes" ran just fine. Thanks for your input

4. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

It'll run just like a 3.0GHz quad core PC with a slightly underclocked X1900 XT would. Faster than your current setup for sure.

5. AvSRoCkCO1067 macrumors 65816

AvSRoCkCO1067

It will be the comparable, if not faster, than a Dell with similar specs.

6. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

Not that you can't overclock of course... and it will not be faster than your current setup... it will be a LOT LOT LOT faster, the processor alone is 6x faster and upwards and the videocards is leaps and bounds over a 6800GT.

7. GIZBUG thread starter macrumors 65816

GIZBUG

Thanks.
    I was reading somewhere today that Apple supports about 3% of the software titles on the market. Any truth to this? I know that when you walk into a software store, 95% of stuff is PC orientated. Just wondering if that was a factor to those with a mac prior to purchase.....having only a small selection of software available to you.

8. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

Just out of curiousity, where'd you hear it? I've never had a problem finding any type of software I wanted. And tens of thousands of applications isn't a 'small' number.

Plus, with Boot Camp any software I couldn't run (like some specialized engineering packages) I can run now. So you might as well say that Macs can use 100 percent of all software.