What Digital Camera for X-Mas?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by MacAztec, Nov 19, 2003.

1. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

I am looking to get a digital camera for christmas, and I was wondering what you guys recommend. I want something with a good zoom, nice clear photos, good color accuracy, and good exposure balances.

I was thinking maybe the Nikon CoolPix 4300, or the Olympus D-560. I know the Olympus C-740/750 has an awesome 10x, zoom. What do you guys think about that?

I am looking for cameras in the <400$ range

2. Kid Red macrumors 65816

My Canon Powershot Elph s400 had by far the best photo color and clarity with any camera in it's size and price range. There's a website that reviewed just about every digital camera and showed sample photos taken with each camera, that's how I saw good examples of the S400. It also takes avi's, and does panoramic photos.

3. pinto32 macrumors 6502

Although they dont have the largest optical zooms (3X) and dont have all of the manual controls that some people like, the Canon Digital Elph series is amazing! Excellent picture quality, and incredibly small size make these very impressive cameras. My 4 Megapixel S400 has been well worth the $470 I payed for it back in June. But again, not everyone is willing to sacrifice features for size, so I would say to check out cnet.com They have an excellent buying guide and comprehensive reviews on a pretty good cross-section of the digicam market.

4. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

What's your budget and what size (physical size) camera are you looking for?

It can get indepth and technical, but dpreview.com is a great place to research cameras.

Lethal

5. Ambrose Chapel macrumors 65816

Ambrose Chapel

the Canon PowerShot A70 is great, and they have a new A80 with 4mps.

check this site for reviews and such:

http://www.dcresource.com

6. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

7. GregUofMN macrumors regular

I bought the HP Photosmart 850 (4.1MP, 8x opt zoom, 7x dig zoom, 56 total zoom) from Sam's Club for $332 in July. My coworker just bought the HP Photosmart 945 (5.3MP, 8x opt zoom, 7x dig zoom, 56 total zoom) from buydig.com for $459 2 1/2 weeks ago. As Mac lovers, we both love how easy it was to pick up and use. The menus are simple and direct. I love the classic design as well. If you're looking for a camera to take great snap shots, use for school, etc there is no better camera. If you're looking for professional use, then obviously go with a digital SLR. But then your looking at the $5000 or more price range.

I originally bought an Olympus C-750 and hated it. At the time it was about $100 more and the menus were confusing as hell.

I compared prices on bizrate.com before purchasing.

8. GregUofMN macrumors regular

I bought the HP Photosmart 850 (4.1MP, 8x opt zoom, 7x dig zoom, 56 total zoom) from Sam's Club for $332 in July. My coworker just bought the HP Photosmart 945 (5.3MP, 8x opt zoom, 7x dig zoom, 56 total zoom) from buydig.com for $459 2 1/2 weeks ago. As Mac lovers, we both love how easy it was to pick up and use. The menus are simple and direct. I love the classic design as well. If you're looking for a camera to take great snap shots, use for school, etc there is no better camera. If you're looking for professional use, then obviously go with a digital SLR. But then your looking at the $5000 or more price range.

I originally bought an Olympus C-750 and hated it. At the time it was about $100 more and the menus were confusing as hell.

I compared prices on bizrate.com before purchasing.

9. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Just an FYI, Canon's 300D (I think that is the correct model number) is a digital SLR for under a grand. It's geared for the enthusiast<sp?> or prosumer. You can get a pro level D-SLR for around $1.5k and up.

Lethal

10. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

Re: What Digital Camera for X-Mas?

try to get the old nikon 4500 coolpix. i use this as my 'point ans shoot' and it is FANTASTIC. swivel body makes taking pictures so easy and the interface is realy intuitive. plus nikon is known for its fantastic macro capabilities, if youre in to that. definitely nikon coolpix4500- might run you a little more than 400, but not much

11. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

You mean Canon's Digital Rebel, right? $899 for the body only and $999 with the zoom lens.

MacAztec:

Obviously, the big zoom is a good thing since you can't buy it later. You don't want screw-on extensions. I've had two Olympus digital cameras and don't think I'll choose anything else. However, the xD memory cards in the consumer cameras are harder to find and more expensive. Memory cards which are included rarely let you take more than a few shots. Figure that into your price as well as rechargeable batteries and a charger.

12. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Yeah, the EOS-300D aka Digital Rebel.

Lethal

13. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

I don't know when the last time you looked at the dslr market was, but right now you can get a 6.3mp digital slr from Canon, called the digital rebel for 999 with an 18-55 lense....Plus it takes all of Canon's EF-mount lenses. Digital slr's are no longer 5k anymore...hell even a supernice D100 from Nikon is 1499 sans lenses :p

-tazo

14. Macette macrumors 6502

Canon S400. it's a beautiful camera. really solid, very crisp photos.

15. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Thanx for the info Tazo. Welcome to 4 posts ago. :p ;)

Lethal

16. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

heh I rarely read a whole thread when I reply, usually only a bit down to see whats already been posted -- unfortunately didnt see bous's post or others on the 300D until after I had posted ;) It doesnt hurt to get more info tho :)

Here is an indepth review of the 300D, or Digital Rebel, by imo the best digital camera review website: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos300d/

That will tell you everything, and I mean everything, you might want to know about the 300D :) On a personal note, the camera is extremely light, much lighter and smaller than the D100 or Canon 10D, it also feels right in the hands, with a comfortable grip.

But I digress....Just more information for your consumption :)

-tazo

17. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

FuzzyBallz

Yes, and some idiots think calling San Francisco Frisco is cool. If people would rather call Christmas X-Mas, they might as well call Jesus JC... Mmm... that sounds all right... hehehe

Back on topic. Aside from dpreview.com, there's also steves-digicams.com, another very in-depth digital camera and accessories review site. I would pick up either the Canon S400, or the new A80 w/ swivel view finder. Say it with me, Canon!

And btw people, his price range is $400, so digital SLRs shouldn't even be brought up.

18. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

thanks for saying what i was thinkin' ;)

everyone seems to be talking cannon. i still stand behind my point and shoot nikon coolpix4500, but a lot of my friends have digital cannon elphs and love them. plus they're great for sneaking in to concerts ;) and the megapixel is ok... imho unless youre going to do pro editing i dont think a consumer needs more than 3.

19. Inkmonkey macrumors 6502

Kodak?

Excuse my camera-ignorance but does anyone here have any experience with Kodak digital cameras?
    I've been thinking about the DX6490 as a purchase. But if there's something better IN THE SAME PRICE RANGE - I'd be willing to check it out.

20. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I don't think anyone was recommending a D-SLR, but just correcting some mis-informantion regarding them.

Lethal

21. macncheese macrumors newbie

Started out with a Pentax Optio 330.
    Very small made it fit in any pocket but it made the buttons hard to press,
    very fragile (broke 3 times),
    took nice pictures
    sucky proprietary battery

moved up to a HP 450. Once you've had a big zoom you wont go back! yes it significantly larger than the pentax but all the buttons are in good places, feels nice in your hand, AA batteries. Im really happy with it accept for NO MANUAL FOCUS. Kinda makes it hard to take focus on certain things if you're trying to be really artistic.

The things that I'd recommend be your decision makers would be:
    1. zoom (just think about how hard it is to frame something in a $5 disposable camera sometimes and think about doing that in your $400 camera)
    2. batteries (i hate being tied into someone propritary battery)
    3. extras (does it comes with rechargables and a charger?)

i wouldnt sweat the media type or the megapixels.

22. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Of course, you stand behind it. It's much harder to take photos from in front of it. :p

Nikon make better than average consumer cameras; they would be my second choice for brand behind Olympus, with Canon a third.

23. zagato27 macrumors 65816

zagato27

Re: Kodak?

I've been looking for a digital camera for home use. Have seen reviews of the Canon S50 and they have been glowing. Great build quality and typical Canon picture quality. The only thing I have seen expressed is "red eye" issue. The camera also comes with a 32 meg card inclueded...nice. Took the family, ie wife, out to look at DC's at Circuit City and Best Buy today. Didn't expect to actually get my hands on a Canon S50 but Circuit City surprised me and had one. Handsome camera, seems well made, controls may not be all that intuitive. One thing I didn't like was the sliding lens cover. Seems like it would be very easy to break. While at CC the salesman showed us the Kodak DX6490. Impressions: 10x optical zoom......very impressive considering that the Canon had only a 3x optical; absolutely HUGE LCD compared to all other DCs; controls seemed to be pretty user friendly; camera bodys felt very good in the hand. Camera wise and manufacturer wise I've always thought that Canon was on the top level with Kodak much lower but I'm rethinking that. Seen some articles that state that Kodak is putting a lot of $ and research into digital and I think that this camera shows it. I'm impressed. My wife actually liked this camera better because of the large LCD and also it was a bit bigger and felt right when holding it. Couple of other things going for it: the software that comes with it does have OS X compatibility. But there are some cons: propriatary battery, and also I believe that the pictures are limited to JPEG no RAW or TIFF. Guess that means that you lose a little bit each time you open and save a pic. Also heard that there is a AC power cord but it won't recharge the battery, just power it up. It does come with a dock that will recharge and connect to a Mac. Believe that his is USB but unsure as to whether it is 1.1 or 2.0.

Check out this link for a full review and pic gallery. I'm just checking it out now. Conclusion: I know that the Canon S50 will produce good pics but the lens cover is flimsy in my opinion, the LCD is not as big as the Kodak and controls are perhaps not as intuitive as the Kodak. Also the Kodak just seems to feel better in the hand. After actually seeing both cameras I'm thinking Kodak right now. I can't believe that I'm saying that.

Here's that link to a full review. Hope it helps. This is confusing territory here. Lots of good stuff seperated by small things.

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/kodak/dx6490-review

24. zagato27 macrumors 65816

zagato27

Just a bit more info to totally confuse you and make your/our decision tougher. Just been going back and forth between DC sites and reviews and came across a review of a Fuji S7000. This thing has specs that are awesome! 6 megapixel; 6x optical zoom, takes 4 AA's, JPEG and Raw, accepts filters and extenders; ergonomics are raved about; looks like a real camera with the appropriate grip instead of a bar of soap. $599 no tax, free shipping. Hmmmm, I'm thinking about this one.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/s7000.html

http://dcresource.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=779213/found=1/ut=0c5e711d2547d8a3