what display????

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by drater, Mar 24, 2007.

1. drater macrumors 6502a

drater

I have a 13" black macbook and am looking to buy an external screen display for my it. Any suggestions? What size can I go up to? Was thinking about a dell, seem cheap, good quality, opinions? :confused: :cool:

2. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

I use mine with a 24" Dell. Very nice, and the highest resolution you can use (1920x1200).

3. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

Practically any monitor will do you - the max output resolution of the MacBook's graphics card is 2048x1536.

4. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

I'm sorry, but that's incorrect. According to Apple:

5. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

http://www.intel.com/products/chipsets/gma950/

That's off Intel's website - but the Mac driver is different as some say, so dunno who's right.

6. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

7. swindmill macrumors 6502a

swindmill

I would recommend looking for an older 20" ACD if you don't want to put up the money for a new one. That's what I ended up with after first buying a Samsung 206bw, and I'm much happier with it both in terms of looks and quality.

8. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

As much as I hate HP with a passion, I have to say, thier monitors are top notch.

9. AstrosFan macrumors 6502

AstrosFan

Did you end up buying it through the Apple refurbished store?

I'm in the market for a new display and was looking at a couple of 20" Samsung monitors, but after your post, I may consider the refurb route if the price difference isn't TOO much.
    The 206BW was one of the ones I was looking at (205BW the other) - what didn't you like about the quality?

Thanks!

10. swindmill macrumors 6502a

swindmill

I'm not too familiar with what makes a monitor "good", but just from having used the 206bw for almost two weeks and now using an ACD, I can say that the quality isn't even close. I was regularly checking this site: BPE2 and checking the build number, which right now is the "1130" under the download link (it's a beta that I'm excited about and new builds come out every few days). With the Samsung, I couldn't clearly see the number from my chair and had to lean forward to read it. With the ACD, it is as clear as can be from twice the distance and I'm not exaggerating. Overall, the ACD just looks clearer and brighter than the Samsung. I wish I had the knowledge to better explain; maybe someone who knows the technical reasons behind what I'm describing can chime in. I wouldn't say that the 206bw isn't worth the money, if that is what you are looking for; you can get it for less than $300. The ACD I have is the older model that came with the G4's. You can find them on ebay for around $300, usually a bit more, and you also need the DVI--ADC adaptor which is another $75+. I got mine from a friend who works in a lab that had old ones laying around, so I didn't pay near that, but I would now that I've been using it. Additionally, after looking at the Samsung on my desk for 2 weeks, the ACD is a welcome relief, but I'm big on aesthetics.

EDIT: This was a response to me from another thread, and it may help you..

11. HappydaysAgain macrumors newbie

Display ideas

I recently switched from M$ and purchased a macbook. After reading this and other forums, I decided to get an ACD 23". I appreciate that other monitors are now significantly cheaper and have height and pivot options. However, I must say that the Apple display is a fine piece of kit, and I am very very happy with the clarity of the screen. No dead pixcels, and the stand height is fine.

If you spend an hour or so on this forum you will find some in depth analysis from people who clearly have detailed knowledge of screen technology. At the end of the day you have to live with the thing and be happy. I certainly have no regrets whatsoever about the ACD. Best of luck.

12. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

You are going to live with a monitor for years, and want one that performs well and, hopefully, enhances rather than detracts from the feel of the space it occupies.

I too would seriously consider an ACD despite the pricing.