What do Americans think of the Canadian....

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by trainguy77, Dec 23, 2005.

1. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Government?

I myself am a Canadian. I have wondered what others think of the Liberals and there issues.....I am not pround of our PM, or the rest of the Liberals. Just wondering what you all think.

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I think at times it's sort of ... internationally apathetic, but in general I admire it for being more socially progressive, supportive of minorities, and more devoted to peace and the environment than most governments, while still protecting civil liberties fairly well....

I think my overall impression is positive, but I don't think that anyone is perfect.

3. candan9019 macrumors regular

I can assure you that most of them don't know what you are talking about.

Personally between the Liberals and Conservatives I pick the lesser of two evils, the Liberals. Paul Martin isn't a great PM but Steven Harper well I don't even want to think about it.

4. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

And I can assure you that this is a good thing. The last thing you want is for our pols to take notice and start trying to meddle in your affairs :D

5. trainguy77 thread starter macrumors 68040

WOW. Do you guys get anything in the news? scandals...gun registry anything? So you just don't care that about the scandals? its only a couple million?

Sorry if i come on a little to strong tell me and i will cool it:p

6. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

My biggest problem with Canada is censorship. As f***ed up as the US is, we still can say or do what we want. We fight censorship on the right and the left. Other than that, you all are way ahead of us.

7. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

We blame you guys for everything. We even made up a song about it...

"Blame Canada, Blame Canada" and so on and so forth...

;)

8. slimflem macrumors regular

slimflem

This is already occuring. It's just not general knowledge.

9. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

I'm proud of our government. We shot down the Missile Defense treaty that f'er Bush tried to pull on us. And not taking part in the Iraq war, something our mother country Britain learned the hard way with the Tube bombings.

10. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Although not directly related to censorship, the Canadian government recently passed legislation legalizing Swinger's Clubs and group sex. So we're not completely censored. That ruling is pretty sweet... well, if that's your thing... :eek: :eek: ;) :D

11. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

*notes curious juxtaposition of posts by Shard and Lacero*

Hmm, and with so many of the Horsemen...erm...Horsepeople in this thread, we were behaving so well, too. :D Where's that Mad Jew now?

There was a story recently about a hate speech prosecution in Edmonton. It seemed that the relevant legislation had a much more liberal interpretation of what constituted hate crime than the American law does. The person's speech was clearly odious, but it didn't seem like he was directly calling people to engage in acts of violence. Reprehensible, but ... Then again, this is the specific issue of hate speech. And I have mixed feelings at best about protecting these individuals.

Can anyone say anything more in brief about Canadian freedom of speech? How restrictive is it? In all the time I spent in Canada, and from brief reading of Canadian law, I wasn't aware that there were large differences between American and Canadian law in terms of the overall conceptualization of freedom of speech.

12. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

<shrugs> What, what?.... :confused: ;) :D

Yeah, the Canadian Charter of Rights & Freedoms is pretty open to interpretation in many ways, and gets abused as a result just as much as the American Constitution does. That whole "right to bear arms" thing still makes me shake my head every time I hear some gun-crazy American spewing that nonsense that it's his God-given right to have a semi-automatic under his pillow. But that's for a completely different discussion altogether... ;)

But yes, freedom of speech and related topics, I would say, are just as "well defended" by individuals here as they are in the States.

13. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

I'm sure Americans would have an opinion about it if they knew about it. I'm not sure why, but down here in the states we don't get ANY news about Canada. None. Unless it's the SARS outbreak or the jumbo jet that crashed off the coast of Nova Scotia. We hear about things going on in Hong Kong before we'll ever get news from Canada. I have to go to the CBC website in order to get Canadian news. I think this is a terrible slight on the part of the American media.

14. neocell macrumors 65816

neocell

I have no idea where this is coming from. What censorship are you referring too? I've always thought that Canada was much more open with letting people say/publish whatever, whereas the bible thumping clan down south always starts calling foul and this shouldn't be allowed or that shouldn't be allowed. I'm confused? Were you being sarcastic? :confused:

15. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

We don't.

16. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

:D Canadian politics is very dull compared to the US.

We got the lame sponsorship scandal which is nothing like the Plame case or the Lewinsky-Clinton scandal. We make news when some hot blonde politician takes the stage and that'll make it to national news status.

Actually, our news is so dull, we report on American politics. Although that whole 30/70 Canadian content rule makes it difficult for our stations so we get a lot of boring talking heads.

17. candan9019 macrumors regular

Considering where you live I figured you would respond that way ;)

Hey I lived in the states what's a couple of million in a scandal anyways. Besides other than the scandals why would I vote for a party that doesn't have the same values as me. Even if it means voting for an arrogant elitist party.

18. trainguy77 thread starter macrumors 68040

And also were you live i would expect you to support the liberals. Its interesting how separated politically Canada has become, its so east vs west. It bugs me. I do agree that both the liberals and conservatives have there problems. Maybe i should run for PM:p :D

19. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

There's nothing like a separatist movement to force a government to focus on compromise instead of militancy in order to keep a country intact.

I find it interesting too that there's such an east/middle/west divide. I don't know if oil is directly responsible for the Albertans' militancy but I'm sure it doesn't help matters much.

20. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing.

Sorry, we have our own problems to deal with. We don't really think about anybody else's. Well... that too. We're usually pretty self centered and oblivious to anything that doesn't affect us directly.

Unless it's something really horrible, but even then sometimes.

21. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Thanks for this one, it really hit the nail on the head for me, based on what I've seen from my experience as a Canadian. Nothing wrong with that of course, just the way it is, as you say.

22. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

We may be selfish pricks, but at least we're honest about it.

23. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Exactly - nothing wrong with that. Plus, if your government can't be honest about things like the war, you should at least find other things to be honest about like this. :eek: :p ;)

Ah, the political forums are so much fun... :D

24. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Don't take it personally. By all but the most inclusive definitions of "thought", most Americans don't "think" about American politics either.

25. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Haha - nice one! I like the way you "think"... ;) :cool: