What do architects use on Mac OS X?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by kotbehemot, Sep 5, 2006.

1. kotbehemot macrumors newbie

kotbehemot

Hi!
    I am a student of architecture, and I am going to buy myself a MacBook. Tell me - what do architects use on the Mac OS X? The standard set on the PCs is AutoCAD + 3D studio MAX + VRay + Photoshop. Out of these programs only PS works on Mac OS. What is a typical software which mac-architects use?

Thanks in advice.

2. vincebio macrumors 6502a

vincebio

Lightwave 9
    Archicad 10

other bits

Cinema 4D
    Bryce
    Vectorworks
    Ashlar Velum - amazing!

3. bartelby macrumors Core

Couldn't you just install Windows on the MacBook and run the Windows software?

4. kotbehemot thread starter macrumors newbie

kotbehemot

So what's the point in buying mac? I want to buy a mac becouse of the system.

Thanks vincebio.. And is Microstation available for mac?

5. technicolor macrumors 68000

technicolor

So you could use OSX on your spare time and for your personal use, and use the windows side for school and work. The Apple isnt going to be much more expensive than a PC lappie anyway, might as well be able to have both.

6. riciad macrumors 6502

For 3D, SketchUp Pro (won't be UB until version 6 is released by the look of things), ArtlantisR

7. kotbehemot thread starter macrumors newbie

kotbehemot

I know SketchUp - it is great software. Do You know, how fast and stable it is on intel Macs? It still runs through Rosetta, doesn't it? Artlantis too?

Lightwave looks like great rendering software - will it work well on an intel MacBook, anyone tried? the graphics card in MacBook is told not to be very good, and at this moment I can't afford MB Pro:(

8. riciad macrumors 6502

From what I've read SU runs not too bad under Rosetta if you max out the ram. Hopefully SU Pro 6 should be out soon and then it should really fly. I'm using it at the moment with an iMac G5 Rev A 1.8 with no problems.

ArtlantisR Studio is already UB and ArtlantisR (just rendering, no animation) is supposed to be updated to UB this month.

I'm waiting until SU is UB before going Intel.

9. kotbehemot thread starter macrumors newbie

kotbehemot

OK, so the last question! Is ArchiCAD UB already? And if it is not, does anyone know, if/when is it going to happen?

I almost completed my application set - Archicad + SU + ArtlantisR (it works with both) + maybe Lightwave (it looks reaaallly cool)

Thanks for answers!

10. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

If you want to study architecture and use a Mac, then you should check-out Architosh.com.

11. mim macrumors 6502

I know you don't want to use Windows - but don't discount the ability for your MBP to run it - particularly for say Rhino. I wouldn't be to afraid of switching between Windows and OSX - you'll really just need to pick the tools for the job and run them however you can.

I work with a pretty well known international firm, and although we mostly use microstation we are starting to move towards to using Rhino a lot, with Sketch Up for quick work and the less '3d technical' people. I wouldn't bother with Autocad really - even though it's what most firms (in the US...?) use, you won't become a great architect by knowing how to use it. Learning something like Rhino will give you a tool that you can use to create whatever you can imagine. Saying that though - Ashlar-Vellum Cobolt seems similar to Rhino, and does run on OS X (I don't know if it's UB yet). It may be worth a look.

As for Microstation - Microstation SE was the last version available for Mac (and I think it was OS 9 only maybe, so it wouldn't even run on the new intel Mac's). Archicad is by far your best bet for architectural work on the Mac (imoo). I think there was also a new free-form modelling extension recently released for Archicad 10, which may also let you do Rhino style modelling without having to run Windows.

Good luck,
    a.

12. kotbehemot thread starter macrumors newbie

kotbehemot

^^ that is exactly answer, that i was waiting for;)

Of course I sometimes will use windows, if I will have to - but I'd like to make OS X my default platform - I find it much better and faster..

So I will have to see what ArchiCAD can do!

13. iKwick7 macrumors 65816

iKwick7

SketchUp doesn't run too bad under Rosetta, but you can definately feel the difference (on a side note, I LOVE SketchUp and I do ALL my modelling in it). That being said, there is definite slowdown when you start getting a big model. I have been working on a huge house for work (using my Macbook w/ 2 gigs of ram) and once I started addig a lot of detail things started to slow down bad. Sketchup 5.0, by the way. It runs great on my windows centrino 1.4 w/ just 512 ram- better than on my Macbook, but the mac is still useably under Rosetta.

I do need to get around to buying XP sp2 so I can see how well Sketchup runs under windows on the mac.

14. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

Among the architects using Macs that I know, VectorWorks is fairly popular. I't's 3d and has an add-on rendering component called RrenderWorks. It's a program that is heavily oriented towards architects and construction. It's also cheaper than AchiCAD.

15. racedvr macrumors newbie

Mac Architecture Software

I am a Project Manger for a large company and currently my Architect uses a program called PowerCadd by Engineered software. Check out http://www.engsw.com/.

Good Luck