What do girls want in a video game?

Discussion in 'Games' started by applekid, Oct 15, 2005.

1. applekid macrumors 68020

What do female game players want in a video game? What attracts the female gamers?

There's been a few studies going on finding out what kind of games women want to play and what attracts the female gamer, but I thought I ask right here at MacRumors and hopefully get some responses from enough females to figure it out.

Is there something in the gameplay? Does a particular genre attract you? Are you interested in a certain kind of story? Do you play your games casually? What makes a guy's game boring for you?

Thanks for any useful input.

2. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Not a fan of shoot-em-ups in any genre.

I prefer games that you have to puzzle your way through, strategy-planning games or games that you can pick up casually and play for an hour or so without having to reread the manual to relearn all the key combinations and moves; basic driving and Madden on rookie are good! For this reason, I'm a big fan of games that have the 'easy' mode so that I can feel like I'm getting somewhere without devoting days of my life to a game.

3. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

I've just asked my girlfriend, who's a pretty keen gamer, what she looks for in a game. Her response:

"Killing"

Pretty straightforward, really...

4. Tommyg117 macrumors 6502a

Tommyg117

haha, my girlfriend LOVES and i mean ABSOLUTLY LOVES playing games like mariokart, where she can race and do fun sorts of things. however, she also asked me to go to blockbuster with her just so she could rent grand theft auto vice city because she likes running around and blowing stuff up.

5. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Dude... stereotypeing... stop it :p

Gals like games for the same reason guys do - it's fun. Maybe there's some other unknown reason why you play games, but for the rest of us, it's the fun of the game

6. iDM macrumors 6502a

iDM

The Commonwealth of PA/The First State-DE
    I meant for that to be a poke at shovanist men, who would assume that was a feature they wanted, I guess i should've added a smiley! ;)

7. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

I actually meant the threadstarter, but I guess it has added meaning when put against your post ;)

8. GorillaPaws macrumors 6502a

GorillaPaws

I don't think it's chauvanistic (sp?) to ask this sort of question. Sure there are going to be stereotypes, but men taking an interest in what women as a whole tend to enjoy isn't a bad thing. Sure, he's asking a question that requires a response that generalizes certain tastes that women have. But that's not negative.

I personally agree w/ the poster that said women tend to like the strategy/puzzle games more, that and some of the old-school games like mario and stuff. My girlfriend, who isn't a big gamer loves games w/ a cartoony-vibe, not the ultra-realistic one that's more popular w/ shooters, racers etc. So as a genre I'd say platform and party games. My girlfriends fav's include, pretty much any mario game ever made (esp. mariocart and mario party), Worms 3d/ Worms Forts, and some RTSes (but I think it's mostly the older warcraft games-- which I've never seen her play, but she knew all about 'em when she saw me playing it).

9. risc macrumors 68030

risc

My GF was addicted to Lumines on PSP but she stopped playing it when she became aware of her addiction, read: She started to notice the sun coming up before she had stopped playing. She also really loved Bejeweled on my iPaq. So in her case puzzle games. Oh she was also addicted to Tetris on MAME, so yeah she wants puzzle games! Now that I remember she also loved playing Zoo on PS2, um that is another puzzle game.

10. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

A friend of mine is intensely into Diablo 2. She is beyond obsessed...

I've enjoyed all sorts of games before but hate getting bogged down in the detailed minutiae of inventories etc. Not keen on driving games. Enjoyed Tombraider's 1-4, Alice... even Wolfenstein recently which is very blokish but still good fun.

It depends on what form of release you seek in a game. I'm usually looking to take out my work frustrations with clients in a game so for me...

...yeah, killing. :D

11. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

My girlfriend is completely and utterly addicted to Nintendogs right now. Its like before I was... y'know... making my move and all that. only she was a little ill and just said "i'm not feeling too well"... so she rolled over and started playing on Nintendogs :cool: dont blame her though. good game.
    but going off memory the girls in my life play;

Caroline (me girlfriend, 19) Nintendogs, Nanostray, Sonic (pretty much every one ever), Tales of Symphonia, FF7, Windwaker, Fire Emblem, Golden Sun, Tomb Raider, Mario Party 5, Metroid Prime 1, Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes, Smash Bros Melee, any Mario Kart, Ragnarok, Maple Story, Worms Armageddon, my games (she always gets so hyped when she helps make them, gets excited by the reviews and happy its all gone well, but rarely plays them :confused: )

Nicole (the sister, 12) Nintendogs, Yoshi's Island, Mario Party 5, Halo, Sonic GBA series, Mario Kart 64+Double Dash, Mario 64 DS, Worms Armageddon

the rest don't play games! they have DS's and Gamecubes but aren't really gamers.

12. Lau Guest

Ok - here's mine:

-Easy - so I make progress quickly. As Applespider says, I don't want to spend days over it.
    -Simple controls - again, I agree with Applespider, I want to pick up and play. Don't mind learning as I go along, as long as it doesn't go all Lara Croft, with 27 different kinds of crouch. :mad:
    - FPS - boring.
    - Cool characters - not necessarily cute, but fun, and interesting. Not a fan of all that blood n gore and ripped clothing and stuff. I'm thinking more Mario in the Raccoon suit, Super Monkey Ball.
    - Not gross and dark - not because I'm squeamish (I'm not, at all), but because I like to see what I'm doing. And I like bright/light colours in my room in real life, so why shouldn't they be in the telly? :p
    - I like the linear old platform games, you'd do a level and that would be that. I'm less fond of the whole exploring thing.
    - I get bored really, really easily. The games I have spent hours over have been Mario 3 or something, where there's level after level, and they're just the right difficulty.
    - Skill based stuff, like Amplitude, or Super Monkey Ball is good, you learn and get better and better.
    - Multiplayer's all good - I've had such a good laugh playing Micro Machines, Mario Kart, MonkeyBall, even multiplayer Tetris. Oh, and Total Carnage on the SNES. "You are the weasel man. Prepare to experience total pain".... :confused: :D I digress. But I like the people to be there, rather than online or something. It's all about sitting about with your friends, playing something simple and funny, ripping the piss out of each other, and chatting at the same time.

That all sounds like such a girl. :rolleyes: But then, I am. And it does kind of fit in with my life, I guess. I'm easily bored. I like short, fast projects. And I like hanging about with friends, and taking the piss out of each other. I'm not into horror or anime, so it makes sense that a game that looks/acts like, say, a horror film isn't going to do anything for me.

Oh, and I'm quite good at computer games, as a rule, and it really annoys me when girls are all "oh, I'm really rubbish at games" and drive into walls and stuff. It's like girls who can't play pool. Sheesh. :p

13. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

*sniff* I'm one such girl. I really suck at most games... that's why I feel like I have no choice but to stick w/ puzzle type games. :eek: Although I do play and love Diablo II LoD (the expansion). But I hate to propagate gender stereotypes, but, sigh, I really do like games that have 'cute' characters or a cute feel to it. I hate myself now...

I enjoyed er, watching my bf play Zelda Windwaker (I tried playing, but I got stuck). I love love love Puzzle Fighter Turbo 2 (psst, that's where my name is from :p ), bustamove (the one where you burst 3 bubbles of the same color)...

Honestly, if I were better at playing games I'd love to play; Hitman2, GrandTurismo, CS/Half Life...

14. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

For the two of you who BOTH managed to mangle it, the word is "chauvinist" ("SHOW-vin-ist"), after a Frenchman named "Chauvin" (pronounced "show-VAN") who served under Napoleon... and the word itself does not necessarily apply to males, but to anyone who is excessively loyal or prejudiced in their support of a particular cause, group, or gender.

15. Lau Guest

You don't count, ok? :p And puzzle type games are fabulous.

A lot of boys like games that have shooting stuff, or fast cars, or fighting, or gore in them, and that's not a stereotype. Don't see why we shouldn't like games that are cute, or easy, or whatever, because we play them for different reasons.

Oh, and Bustamove. Utterly, utterly fantastic. Have you played the one on the PS2 where you get your fortune told as you play. Most amusing. And the characters make me laugh, like in 2 player when they get all stressed when you're kicking their arse. :) Actually, maybe that explains the cute characters thing. I wouldn't go "ooh, isn't it cute" but I like it when a character makes me laugh. Men covered in blood, growling, don't make me laugh. Mario when he goes all racconified makes me smile, and the camp old Streetfighter characters make me laugh out loud. Oh, and Total Carnage isn't cute at all, but it's hilarious. Then again, maybe I'm just really superficial.... :p

I attach an amusing Total Carnage screenshot for your perusal.

[​IMG]

16. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

I'm not really a gamer, but I like puzzly thinking games.

puzzly, thinky, and related to the economy!
    now, someone write this!!

17. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

You should see if there's a version of the classic "Balance of Power" available for current Macs... now, THAT was a cool game. Play as the US President or Soviet Premier and try to become as powerful as possible... WITHOUT starting a war (in nuclear war, NOBODY wins, after all).

18. cubist macrumors 68020

Anybody remember M.U.L.E.? Now there was a fun party game.

19. GroundLoop macrumors 68000

GroundLoop

20. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Good point. And as you and other women have noted, sometimes we're into a good, mindless 'killing' spree.
    Haven't tried that version, but I think I'll try to sniff it out and give it a whirl... I wanna know my fortune! :p
    I think that's what it is... I know that I enjoy a game/movie if I feel some sort of connection w/ the character.

21. mrzeve macrumors 6502a

Their husbands credit card.

22. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

My current girlfriend would definitely love something along these lines;

[​IMG]

23. Bedawyn macrumors regular

I love exploring games and building games, one that allows me to achieve something concrete, not just destroy things.

I'm happy enough to fight in a game if it's necessary to achieve something else, but not when fighting is the goal in itself. I have no use at all for first-person shooters, and although I used to love Missile (where you're defending cities from incoming missiles), I can't stand the Parachute version of it (where the only difference is the graphics, but you're shooting down people instead of defending cities). I love Civilization, but I always play to win by being the most technologically advanced, never the most aggressive or militarily developed. I want to conquer the world by slow and steady expansion, by isolating my enemies, keeping my allies happy but small, and making people want to join me, not by attacking other nations. If someone refuses to respect my borders, I'll still wipe them out without hesitation, but I don't want a game where I have to make the first strike (or draw first blood) to win. And if I have to spend all my time defending myself from aggressive neighbors who don't care that, logically, they'd be better off allying with me, I'm gonna get bored and frustrated pretty quick. When combat is necessary, I want it to hinge on tactics and proper management of forces, not just brute force. I'd rather play the same battle a dozen times until I figure out the right combination of spells, equipment, timing, and positioning to let my six party members defeat several dozen monsters than play one battle that's won according to which character is stronger, more advanced, or has the better rolls.

The Sims is only so-so and I don't really think of it as a game, but I used to adore SimLife, where you got the thrill of unexpected new things happening, but also had to use your brain to implement (or at least try to implement) new things you wanted and planned (32 species of crawfish! But I never could keep the whales alive). I want a plot where it at least pretends I'm doing something useful with my time (learning history! practicing logistics! governing the planet!) and where there are discrete but flexible and changing goals -- solve this quest, stabilize that city, explore and secure every inch of that square then move on to the next knowing that the monsters you already killed aren't going to come back and that area is now safe for the virtual civilians behind you. Exploration exploration exploration! Give me wonderful maps and never before seen creatures and newly founded outposts! Spaceward Ho was great the first dozen times, but after that there's nothing new anymore, just the same planets over and over again. Might and Magic III, on the other hand, had a tremendous area to explore, that I never got through because the world had too much depth -- solving quests was a full-time job that required taking notes and remembering things from squares I played months ago. Sorry, ain't gonna happen. On the other hand, M&MIII had a wonderful variety of different things you could do -- exploration, battles, quests, riddles, all at your own discretion. A game that's repetitive or forces me into a script, where it's either impossible to do or impossible to win by doing what I'd really want to do in that situation, is a game that will lose my interest pretty quickly.

If a game has characters, they need to be either ones I can identify with or vague enough that my imagination can fill them out without obstruction. I've had entire novellas worth of subplots and character interaction, arguments and love affairs and power struggles, going on in my head in games where the "characters" were just faces on the screen. On the other hand, everyone here was so fond of Warcraft I bought the Battlechest version -- and have barely played it at all, because the first mission forces into a scripted role with fleshed-out characters that don't appeal to me. I don't want a game that tells me who I (or my protagonist) is -- I should be making that decision.

And I would dearly dearly love -- but have never yet found -- a game that allowed you to secure an area, then build a proper base that you could return to to store your loot and generally appreciate the rewards you've won.