What do i backup?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by SBik2, Jan 2, 2007.

1. SBik2 macrumors 6502a

SBik2

do i just select my home folder? (Anthony) or do i just select some but not all files, or just copy everything that is on my hd to my external hd i bought today?
    And if it helps im using Retrospect express whihc came with my ehd.

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Say what you want to do first!
    Sounds to me like you want to back up your HD to be bootable in case of emergency/HD swap...
    Download SuperDuper (free), it will guide you through the obvious steps.
    Good luck! And next time tell us what you want to do!

3. SBik2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

SBik2

well actually im backing up my data because im sending in my macbook for repair. i just want my macbook to be the same as it was before the problem..(same prefrences and just like i like it) but i will download superduper

4. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

If you drag your home folder (anthony) over to you ext HD then you will have everything backed up. Docs, music, pics, movies, bookmarks, emails, address book, etc are all stored in the home folder somewhere. The only thing that isn't backed up is your applications which are usually easily replaced.

Its always a good idea go back your stuff up before sending it in for repair. Apple may for whatever reason need to do a restore and they are NOT responsible for any data loss when doing so.

5. SBik2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

SBik2

thanks for your replies! I just used super duper and just put my computer in the first box and put my EHD in the 2nd and i put so it backed up all files...

6. fishy2k8 macrumors member

superduper question

with this superduper program... how do you make it so that you can boot from the hd? is this like norton ghost? when it copies your stuff does it copy the whole hd with everything so that you could put the backup hd in your computer and it would boot and be the same thing as what you had? thanks, im gunna be a new mac user as of today when it arrives so im just trying to figure out how this program works so that i can use it after i get everything set up on my new mbp. Thanks again...

7. SBik2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

SBik2

ya from what i understand i got my HD to be copied to my external so i can boot my(or other macs i think) by holding the option key while booting. i tried it already and i got it to work.. and have fun with your new mac!:D

8. spork183 macrumors 6502a

spork183

Super Duper makes a bootable backup. I'm trying to remember if you have to check a box for it or not, but I don't think so. The smart update is nice. After the first clone, it only copies new files, takes about 20 min. I do it about once a week. Very easy to use.

9. SBik2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

SBik2

i dont remember i box to check.. i did it earlier it did it by itself

10. spork183 macrumors 6502a

spork183

Your right, just checked. It lists "Make Drive Bootable" at the bottom of the list of actions it will perform. :)

11. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

As long as you have all the software application Cd's etc. All you need to backup is your home folder.

FJ

12. SBik2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

SBik2

thank you.. i dont have any apps besides the apple ones that require software discs. they're all freeware..

13. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Super Duper works fine.

Another option is Carbon Copy Cloner. You get a few more options with Carbon Copy Cloner.

But both are basically the same I think.

14. SBik2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

SBik2

/

15. fishy2k8 macrumors member

how do i boot from it?

so pretty much if i have my HD backup up to another one using superduper and i have HD failures i can just stick the external into my computer and it will be everything that was there besides apps? im kinda confused about how i would use this as a bootable backup, pleace explain, thanks again.... ill look at this in the morning to see if you guys replied and the help that you post, thanks again.

16. spork183 macrumors 6502a

spork183

If you clone your drive, everything, including the apps, is copied to the new drive. In the event of a drive failure, you boot off the backup and you are up and running. You do lose any changes you made since the last clone.

17. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

This is why it is good to have two external HDs, or one that is big enough to have 2 partitions to clone your HD. Assuming that you have two external HDs, which is my preference, you would do it like this:

Week one you would clone to HD A.

Week two you would clone to HD B.

Week three you would clone to HD A.

Week four you would clone to HD B.

Etc.

It is very important that you always have a backup when making another backup. You shouldn't have just have one backup. Here's why, and I speak from experience. You just erased your external HD to prepare for the next backup. Your internal HD decides to die due to hardware failure. End result, you are toast.

So always have a backup standing by when you are creating a new backup.

Also, if you have mission critical data you should back up more often than once per week.

18. spork183 macrumors 6502a

spork183

No, I disagree. For home or casual use, you don't need multiple backups. Smart Cloning on super duper doesn't erase the old, only copies files that have changed since last backup. You don't have to erase the drive to update the clone. Unless you make your living off your computer, a single backup clone should be plenty.

19. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Obviously we differ in our opinions.

I've had so many HDs go south on me, that I am really cautious in this regard.

Also, I do not believe in Smart Cloning, incremental backups, and the like. Why because they have all failed me in the past.

I only do full complete clean backups now and life is grand! :)

BTW, there is no casual or home use IMHO. Why? Well, have you DL'ed music or videos from iTMS? Have you DL'ed software applications (commercial type that you pay for)? Have you DL'ed other important apps that you've had to customize and configure? Do you have personal pictures, keepsake type, on your HD?

My point is this. Our data on our computers is becoming more and more valuable as we move to digital forms. Just imagine that if you lost everything on your HD. How long would it take to re-create your work environment and all of your files. Sure you may have them backed up on CDs/DVDs. Have you edited your photos for example that are in your iPhoto library? All these changes would need to be recreated if both your external and internal HDs went south at the same time. Call me over cautious, but having been there numerous times (internal and external HD fail) on PCs and Macs, I tend to be a bit overzealous on backing up my data these days.

External HDs are cheap these days. They allow for quick and easy backups. Get 2 of them! :)

20. spork183 macrumors 6502a

spork183

Damn, you convinced me. Now I gotta get another 320 to set on my desk...:) Good arguments. Since this is your responsibility, if you could paypal me the necessary funds, I'll be on my way :D

btw-any opinion on perpendicular drives? better, worse, etc?

21. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Dang, I just purchased two Maxtor 300GB ATA (IDE) HDs last week. Now I have no money! :eek:

The Good --> They allow you to store much more data. :D

The Bad --> They allow you to loose more data when they crash! :mad:

I wish I could link to the PodCast from Security Now where Steve Gibson discusses the new high capacity hard drives. It's kind of scary and will make you want to back up your files more often IMHO. ;)

The new HDs are fine. But just realize that with capacity comes some other considerations such as ensuring that you do make backups regularly and maybe more often than you have in the past.

BTW, the first HD that I had physical crash was connected to a Vax 11/70 (old computer). The flying head crashed into the platters. Parts of the platter left the HD enclosure and stuck into the walls. Those things were dangerous to one's health! ;)

Just for fun, I've attached a audio file of a hard drive crash.

Attached Files:

22. wmmk macrumors 68020

wmmk

dang, he got me too! (maybe) well, at least this could could save me the cost of leopard if TM and spaces are the only big things...

23. teleromeo macrumors 65816

teleromeo

I use Silverkeeper to do a sheduled backup every day to an external hard disk that is attached to my powerbook. I set it up to backup everything as a clone.

24. spork183 macrumors 6502a

spork183

ah, but if your clone fails while being cloned and the drive doing the cloning is no longer cloneable, then the concept of cloning should not be cloned and the one doing the cloning should clone no more. For cloning the uncloneable can only lead to obscene clone falls.

ok, my head hurts now.

25. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Just imagine how your head will hurt when your HD(s) crash and you have no backup! :eek: