What do i buy?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by jer446, May 30, 2005.

1. jer446 macrumors 6502a

I want to know what i can do or what i should buy. Right now i have 4 printers in the house, 3 printers on three computers, and one color laser through the ethernet. The problem is, we want to use our other printers, like our bw laser when the computer that is hooked up to it is off. The bw laser is the most important. Do i need to buy an airport express to get this to work? I have only one mac, and the rest are windows. Is there anything else that i can buy that is cheaper so i can buy one for each of my printers? I really dont need any of the other features of the airport extreme because i already have wireless.

2. macbaseball macrumors 6502a

macbaseball

You can buy a print server, for probably $60 a piece. You would need 3 of them. Basically it's a little box that goes from USB to eithernet. Search it on google or amazon, as there are tons of them. You might want to check the web site of the manufacturer, as some reviews people have made say that their printer isn't supported. If you have a common printer that shouldn't be a problem though.

3. jer446 thread starter macrumors 6502a

i might as well get an express than because it transmits wirelessly, in each room i only have one ethernet connection.

4. macbaseball macrumors 6502a

macbaseball

If you want to access them via wired ethernet, then you'll also need a Airport Base Station. That way you can have all three printers attached to a Airport Express which are all remote clients of the main Airport Base Station. This base staton would then need to be attached to the wired network.