What do I do with the .dmg files?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by twomiracles, Dec 31, 2006.

1. twomiracles macrumors regular

I thought they were installer files so I put them in the trash after I installed the applications, but when I went to empty it, it said I couldn't delete those files because the applications were running. So, where do I put them? I can't stand a cluttered desktop!

2. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

Yes, you do throw them away...You mustve done something wrong, since they are still active. Did you drag whatever was in there somewhere?

3. chasemac macrumors 6502a

chasemac

Close the application first and then trash the .dmg. In some cases you may need to restart before trashing them.

4. Xander562 macrumors 68000

Xander562

You cherish them forever and ever. Just kidding, try closing the application that you downloaded and deleting it.

5. Shadow macrumors 68000

Shadow

DMGs are disk images. Basically to install stuff you need to drag the app (bundle) inside them to the applications folder, and run the app from there. Then you can delete the DMG.

6. Aniej macrumors 68000

Aniej

in order to maximize my posting numbers today before the new year I agree with the above haha.

7. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

You're right to chuck 'em. You're thinking of the mount that is accidentally kept sometimes.